• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Question about the Film: Unrest

Hajnalka

I will be seeing Unrest on 9/29 and will be able to tell you exactly which symptoms are in the film then (although it sounds like you already got some great feedback @TiredBill).
@Gingergrrl, I believe we will be there together, although I'll be in bed in Germany. My kickstarter backer reward is an online screening of an actual premiere with Q and A afterwards and it's Saturday, so I guess it might be the screening you go to. I saw that you asked other PR members if they'd like to join in, please imagine a little hibernating hamster sitting among you. :)

TiredBill

I will be seeing Unrest on 9/29 and will be able to tell you exactly which symptoms are in the film then (although it sounds like you already got some great feedback @TiredBill).

I am very lucky/blessed that I've never had family or friends doubt the severity of my illness (although I had several negative experiences with doctors in the last 4 yrs who did not believe me especially re: MCAS/allergic reactions and the severity of my breathing difficulties).

It is because of your posts that I was thinking of seeing the film in Santa Monica or Pasadena.

I could hit the Laemmle in Encino with a rock. Boo hoo.

My family member doesn't doubt the illness per se, I think they believe I'm suffering from depression. *Sigh*

Bill

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl, I believe we will be there together, although I'll be in bed in Germany. My kickstarter backer reward is an online screening of an actual premiere with Q and A afterwards and it's Saturday, so I guess it might be the screening you go to. I saw that you asked other PR members if they'd like to join in, please imagine a little hibernating hamster sitting among you. :)

How cool and I will think of you watching from Germany while I am at the screening and Q&A in L.A. So far we have a tiny group going from PR (of current and past PR members) and a few family & friends. Also a few who will decide closer to the film depending how they are feeling. I am excited to see it and actually have not seen a movie in a real theater in approx 3-4 years b/c I was not well enough. Am hoping no one at the film is wearing strong perfume but if so, I know I can tolerate it now unlike before.

Gingergrrl

It is because of your posts that I was thinking of seeing the film in Santa Monica or Pasadena.

I did not realize that you were also in LA! You should come to the SM screening if you are able (and IMHO just bring people who are supportive of you, vs. those you are trying to "convince" of your illness, so it is not stressful for you and you can just enjoy the film and being out).

Gingergrrl

@Joh, I just re-read your prior post and if you are seeing the film on-line this coming Sat night (9/9) then it is not the screening that I am going to which is at the end of the month on 9/29.

TiredBill

I did not realize that you were also in LA! You should come to the SM screening if you are able (and IMHO just bring people who are supportive of you, vs. those you are trying to "convince" of your illness, so it is not stressful for you and you can just enjoy the film and being out).

Yep, I'm in LA too. I'd like to attend in SM. We will see.

Thank you for making me aware!

Bill

Hajnalka

@Joh, I just re-read your prior post and if you are seeing the film on-line this coming Sat night (9/9) then it is not the screening that I am going to which is at the end of the month on 9/29.
Good catch, my mistake, too much time in front of the computer. The date is the other way around in Germany, so I just saw the 9 and it was Saturday the 9th for me (it's one of the first things you learn when you're 9 and start English, so my English teachers would be horrified). :)

Hajnalka

sorin

My father, who was my hero and in my mind the most saintly person I've ever known, had a very difficult time accepting the idea that the son he loved so much---one who he saw as filled with unlimited potential---was going to be (forever?) compromised with a debilitating illness.

He struggled with this from a place of optimism, love, and perhaps over-compassion. He was a good man and he gave a total support. I miss him!

Bill

Well, the love is manifested in many, many ways... Even as despair that nothing can be done to help you, and even despair that no one knows what this disease is, no one can put a diagnostic and so on... So then what remains? To deny the existence of such a hideous form of miserable injustice, a cruel fatality that you can not oppose by any means... When a parent says "is only in your mind" then this is a form of love, too. A desperate form of saying "sorry but I can not help you"...

TiredBill

Well, the love is manifested in many, many ways... Even as despair that nothing can be done to help you, and even despair that no one knows what this disease is, no one can put a diagnostic and so on... So then what remains? To deny the existence of such a hideous form of miserable injustice, a cruel fatality that you can not oppose by any means... When a parent says "is only in your mind" then this is a form of love, too. A desperate form of saying "sorry but I can not help you"...

Sorry, but you are making false attributions of a sort I find highly offensive.

If you have issues kindly don't use my posts to work them out or to abuse the memory of my father.

You have no clue.

Bill

sorin

@TiredBill Sorry, I did not intend to offense anyone. Pardon me if you took it personally, but my last post was general and not about your father.

TiredBill

@TiredBill Sorry, I did not intend to offense anyone. Pardon me if you took it personally, but my last post was general and not about your father.

If you want to make general postings please don't quote my posts, especially when your content in that context is inflammatory and insulting. OK?

Bill

sorin

If you want to make general postings please don't quote my posts, especially when your content in that context is inflammatory and insulting. OK?
Bill
Insulting to whom? I repeat, that was a general observation in the context of your idea that family in general, does not understand CFS sufferers. That is all.

TiredBill

Insulting to whom? I repeat, that was a general observation in the context of your idea that family in general, does not understand CFS sufferers. That is all.

I didn't have a parent who said either "it's only in your mind" or "sorry but I can not help you."

If you want to speak negatively of "families in general" it is best not to associate your remarks with another's memory of a very supportive parent. I'm not sure how you're failing to understand this.

Bill

sorin

@TiredBill OK, so then I misunderstood what you wrote. I had the impression that you were complaining about the lack of understanding from a member of your family. Maybe I did not read very carefully your posts, but I can quote your first post "The reason I ask If that I'd like to attend a screening of the film and I'd particularly like to invite the one family member of mine who has never really come around to the idea that despite my living with CFS for over 3 decades and being impacted by this disease the entire time, that this is what's really going on." I was referring to that "family member" not about your father, I do not know why you failed to understand this.

TiredBill

@TiredBill OK, so then I misunderstood what you wrote. I had the impression that you were complaining about the lack of understanding from a member of your family. Maybe I did not read very carefully your posts, but I can quote your first post "The reason I ask If that I'd like to attend a screening of the film and I'd particularly like to invite the one family member of mine who has never really come around to the idea that despite my living with CFS for over 3 decades and being impacted by this disease the entire time, that this is what's really going on."

Correct. I have a family member who doesn't get CFS. That family member is not my late father.

I was/am interested in Unrest as a possible consciousness raising opportunity for this one (otherwise loving) family member.

But I have concerns that if the subject's symptoms are very different than my own that--in this one case--my intentions might backfire by provoking a "that's not like what you have" response. And I'd rather avoid that in one specific case.

There are no monsters here. Just one person whose understanding of CFS is incomplete.

Bill

sorin

@TiredBill OK, so you see, I did not offend anybody and I did not refer to any monsters. Just about family persons who do not want to understand CFS. So we clarified the topic and can close this here.

TiredBill

@TiredBill OK, so you see, I did not offend anybody and I did not refer to any monsters. Just about family persons who do not want to understand CFS. So we clarified the topic and can close this here.

Not family members who do not want to understand CFS, just one that doesn't understand.

You've offended me.

I wish you'd quit. I don't appreciate any of this. Really.

Bill