• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting first appointment with Dr. KDM

Hi, do you have any idea how these come back in your explanation of KDM's theory?
As for the Lactoferrin I think he prescribed it for gut inflammation, not sure about this though.

Sure.

Lactoferrin holds on to your iron so it can not be used by pathogenic gut bacteria. It also helps reduce LPS binding to your immune cells reducing inflammation. It also helps break down biofilm and is anti candida/anti viral etc. Colostrum helps increase IgA in the gut.

Mesalazine helps to reduce cox 2, an inflammatory pathway which is initiated by LPS. This should help reduce PGE2 and inflammation. It is not systemic and stays in the gut.

Zeolite before meals helps to reduce toxicity and therefore inflammation in the gut. It helps the tight junctions seal.

Gammanorm is gamma globulin, I am not entirely sure of the mechanism here although believe it helps reduce inflammation in addition to having positive effects on the immune system as a whole.

All the supplements/treatments have the aim of reducing LPS translocation which is achieved by reducing inflammation as much as possible.

dadouv47

My scores were +5 +4 0 on the LTT.

I'm not entirely sure how he came to the conclusion the Lyme is inactive either - perhaps it is a case of simplification, ie that Lyme is not causing me problems any more, it is the damage left behind (leaky gut). The only cytokine that was out of range was IL-8.

I think he is right anyway, since March I have been on the full buhner protocol on high doses and I do not have any issues tolerating the herbs any more, no more herx reactions etc. This was not the case when I first started the herbs.

My treatment is gut antibiotics to treat the dysbiosis, first vancomycin and now rifaximin along with weekly gammanorm, mesalazine, plus zeolite, lactoferrin, b12 injections. I also do buhner, which I added myself (he has recommended samento/banderol and cumanda. I just substitute the samento for regular cats claw and it works fine).

I wouldn't be entirely comfortable with IV ABX anyway, so I am thankful he has not recommended that and I am happy to stick with herbs for the lyme.

He has also put me on a 4 day rotation diet which I believe he now gives to all patients. This is to minimise the risk of developing any more food intolerances (I have had to give up eggs).

On the diet, I have also found out that if I eat certain foods - usually foods containing saturated fat - that I have a big reaction and a significant temporary worsening of symptoms. My gut aches, I get intense fatigue and have a toxic/ poisoned feeling. There are a number of studies showing that eating food with a high saturated fat content increases endotoxemia and leaky gut. My gut is very sensitive to this, even using any cooking oil at all is enough to cause a big reaction. I am totally fine with carbs/fruit and most foods provided there is practically zero sat fat.

What kind of diet did he give you? I didn't know he was giving diet recommendation to many patients recently.

I have the same diagnosis as you with the same results (5-3-1 on the LTT). Also have the same treatment (just didn't got vancomycin).
I'm not totally convinced I have inactive Lyme yet, mostly because I relapsed after a good improvement (I'm under treatment for 16 months), but my blood tests results (mostly the ones related to the gut) improved a lot, which I think it wouldn't be the case if Lyme was still VERY active.

msf

I think people should take second hand news with a pinch of salt..

I have read statements from KDM on this forum and on facebook that where exactly the opposite as what he told me. So did he say two different things or did one of us just not understand what he meant? Or maybe he changed his opinion a few years later?

I worked in medicine and I once got a course on communication, it turned out patients just understood about 25% of what you said.. that combined with the fact that KDM tries to explain things extremely simple, has very limited time per patient and is not the most talented social person I have ever met;) I will just wait for news until I have it on paper.

If have found articles from KDM from 2012 or 2013 about differences in SNP's and microbiome between norwegian and belgian patients and controls.

Thanks for pointing this out so I didn't have to - it seems a bit odd to criticise Kdm based on second-hand accounts of claims he may or may not have made, but some people are willing to criticise him for anything. Please note I am not referring to people who actually saw kdm and feel that one of the things he said to them did not turn out to be as pivotal as they thought, I can see why they might be disappointed.

What kind of diet did he give you? I didn't know he was giving diet recommendation to many patients recently.

I have the same diagnosis as you with the same results (5-3-1 on the LTT). Also have the same treatment (just didn't got vancomycin).
I'm not totally convinced I have inactive Lyme yet, mostly because I relapsed after a good improvement (I'm under treatment for 16 months), but my blood tests results (mostly the ones related to the gut) improved a lot, which I think it wouldn't be the case if Lyme was still VERY active.

He put me on a 4 day rotation diet, according to the results of my food stats test - so no Eggs/Amaranth. I think it's put together by a US company called BioTek. He didn't make any other specfic recommendations on the diet, I worked out that foods with saturated fat were causing a severe reaction on my own from trial and error. I was also pleased to find out that this seemed to be backed up by the science. I've noticed a big difference since cutting out sat fat as much as possible. Good job I noticed as I was eating a fair amount of coconut oil under the illusion it would help leaky gut.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there regarding diet, I see a lot of online articles, and even other practitioners advising to stay away from carbs and instead to eat a lot of meat/protein, ie a paleo type diet. I would have thought that this would be counterproductive however as it could increase bacteroides and leaky gut, as saturated fat (which meat is often high in) has been proven to increase endotoxemia. I also noticed that even the bone broth I was eating was causing this reaction. Fish I seem to be fine with however, and also turkey breast. I then have a lot of veg/fruit and am not shy with carbs like potatoes/ white rice.

Guess everyone has to find out what works for them.

Daffodil

KDM once brought up to my friend a diet that Victoria Bekham uses..not sure what it is, though

dadouv47

He put me on a 4 day rotation diet, according to the results of my food stats test - so no Eggs/Amaranth. I think it's put together by a US company called BioTek. He didn't make any other specfic recommendations on the diet, I worked out that foods with saturated fat were causing a severe reaction on my own from trial and error. I was also pleased to find out that this seemed to be backed up by the science. I've noticed a big difference since cutting out sat fat as much as possible. Good job I noticed as I was eating a fair amount of coconut oil under the illusion it would help leaky gut.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there regarding diet, I see a lot of online articles, and even other practitioners advising to stay away from carbs and instead to eat a lot of meat/protein, ie a paleo type diet. I would have thought that this would be counterproductive however as it could increase bacteroides and leaky gut, as saturated fat (which meat is often high in) has been proven to increase endotoxemia. I also noticed that even the bone broth I was eating was causing this reaction. Fish I seem to be fine with however, and also turkey breast. I then have a lot of veg/fruit and am not shy with carbs like potatoes/ white rice.

Guess everyone has to find out what works for them.

Ok you mainly received the USbiotek report and KDM saying to avoid foods you are intolerant to. That's pretty standard then :)

Can you give me a link about saturated fat like coconut oil being bad for leaky gut & other gut issues? I thought it was the opposite (and most people react pretty well on paleo/mediterranean diet).

But I agree with you that we need to look at what works or not for us (I personally don't react well on a strict paleo diet)

dadouv47

Also, it's pretty common to react badly to bone broth if you have leaky gut and mostly if u have SIBO too. Bone broth contains A LOT of carbohydrates and you can deal with histamine issues as well.

dadouv47

@dadouv47 wow i thought bone broth was supposed to be the best thing for leaky gut

It's very good, but if u have SIBO too it could very bad. And u can react pretty bad as well if u have histamine issue.

For SIBO they recommend to cook it without the cartilage, while for histamine issues you should cook it faster (2-3 hours MAX).

I personally couldn't tolerate bone broth. I tried hydrolyzed collagen powder instead (maybe not as good as bone broth but I tolerated it pretty well).

unicorn7

Good to read that everyone has different issues with food. I'm totally fine with bonebroth and sat-fat, but my test came back with a lot of intolerances for milk, wheat, egg, soy and all kinds of nuts. I try to rotate te rest a bit, but I find it hard.

I tried a low histamine, low fructose diet with the dietist. Luckely found no problems with histamine, but fructose gives some reactions, so had to limit fruit as well:(

I do think the fact that we have to use our guts every day doesn't help matters, like walking with a broken leg and wondering why it's not healing.

knackers323

ive been tested for SIBO and apparently negative. i do have a gut dysbiosis, however id say most people in the modern world would.
this seems to be a pretty good theory, anyone have any idea how it would fit in with the rutuximab work?

there is/was a guy named david berg who ken lassasen mentions and benefited from, who did some work on the blood of cfsers being thick, this may be the reason why.

i do benefit from not eating and from most things that tend to raise blood pressure and/or thin the blood. this true for anyone else?

Ok you mainly received the USbiotek report and KDM saying to avoid foods you are intolerant to. That's pretty standard then :)

Can you give me a link about saturated fat like coconut oil being bad for leaky gut & other gut issues? I thought it was the opposite (and most people react pretty well on paleo/mediterranean diet).

But I agree with you that we need to look at what works or not for us (I personally don't react well on a strict paleo diet)

Sure. There are plenty of studies that show that saturated fat (and in particular coconut oil) increase LPS translocation. Here's one:

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3795&context=etd

"However, little is known about the effect of dietary oil

fatty acid composition on intestinal LPS permeability and postprandial endotoxemia.

Therefore, we examined whether dietary oil composition differentially modulated intestinal

LPS permeability and postprandial endotoxemia. Our in vivo and ex vivo research using pigs

and isolated pig intestinal tissues indicated that a single administration of oils rich in long

chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), such as fish oil and cod liver oil, decreases

LPS permeability and postprandial circulating LPS levels (P<0.05). Furthermore, oils rich in

saturated fatty acids, such as coconut oil, augmented LPS permeability and postprandial

endotoxemia (P<0.05). Mechanistically, this may be associated with the structure and

function of cell membrane lipid raft microdomain structures"

I agree it does seem strange as some people do seem to report doing better on a paleo diet (although this is not the same as a Mediterranean diet).