• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there any new Surgeries for Sleep Apnea?

Peyt

Hi,
I have had sleep apnea for many years. Because I am such a light sleeper, I have problems with the CPAP machine (I own the latest and greatest machine).... So I am considering surgery, but the UPPP (Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty) surgery seem to have many complications. I have a friend who says he has choked several times since the surgery with food that constantly gets stuck and I just saw this video :
So needless to say, I will not consider UPPP.

Btw, I have also tried other products including the mouth piece that was made by a very well known dentist to bring the jaw forward and that was not for me either....

So my question: Has there been any new or better surgeries created that has less complications than UPPP? If yes, can you please share any information on surgeries please?

perchance dreamer

@Peyt, have you looked into the Inspire surgery? It's for people with moderate to severe apena who can't tolerate CPAP. I'm not sure if insurance covers it, though.

https://www.inspiresleep.com/

My apnea is mild, and I use a dental device. I have an autopap, which is usually supposed to provide more comfort than a CPAP and a Philips Dreamwear mask. I haven't been able to use them yet, though, because I've had sinus infections for months.

The Dreamwear mask is unique in that the hose goes on the back of the head instead of in front. It's less intrusive that way. Also, you can use it with a nasal cushion or nasal pillows. It's a very soft mask.

Good luck!

Peyt

Peyt

Also, has anyone heard of Maxillomandibular advancement surgery ?
It's suppose to have the highest rate of success without post op complications (so I read)

perchance dreamer

@Peyt, I have heard of the advancement surgery, but I'm not familiar with it. As far as the Inspire sensor going off at airports, I think you'd have to contact the company to ask. Maybe they have FAQ somewhere.

I have apnea because I have a small airway and a long palate. I've asked my ENT about surgery, but she said my apnea is too mild for it.

She is also a surgeon, and I know someone who had the UPPP with her. She's very happy with the outcome and said that just on occasion it's uncomfortable when she drinks water.

You might try a different PAP machine and mask and see if you can get more comfortable with PAP therapy while you are looking at other options.

Peyt

@Peyt, I have heard of the advancement surgery, but I'm not familiar with it. As far as the Inspire sensor going off at airports, I think you'd have to contact the company to ask. Maybe they have FAQ somewhere.

I have apnea because I have a small airway and a long palate. I've asked my ENT about surgery, but she said my apnea is too mild for it.

She is also a surgeon, and I know someone who had the UPPP with her. She's very happy with the outcome and said that just on occasion it's uncomfortable when she drinks water.

You might try a different PAP machine and mask and see if you can get more comfortable with PAP therapy while you are looking at other options.

I have the APAP which is the latest. I only wrote CPAP in my original message because I know most people make an easier reference to it. I also use the swift fx mask which is the best for me(as far as being able to tolerate it) ... my problem is that I am a light sleeper.

Dainty

Not a surgery, but cranial osteopathy has significantly improved my sleep apnea. It's hard to tell if it's all the way cured without a sleep study, but my fiance is no longer being woken up at night by me gasping for breath. :)

It's completely non-invasive. Good luck!

Peyt

Not a surgery, but cranial osteopathy has significantly improved my sleep apnea. It's hard to tell if it's all the way cured without a sleep study, but my fiance is no longer being woken up at night by me gasping for breath. :)

It's completely non-invasive. Good luck!
Hi Dainty,
I know you said you have not been tested since using cranial osteopathy but may I ask were you actually diagnosed with Sleep apnea using a sleep study prior to getting C.O. treatment? and how many treatments would you say it took before you saw some results in your case?

Last edited:

brenda

My sleep apnea stopped a week after I started the autoimmune protocol diet (low carb high fat) and has not returned even though I am on another diet now (low fat for gallstones).

Peyt

My sleep apnea stopped a week after I started the autoimmune protocol diet (low carb high fat) and has not returned even though I am on another diet now (low fat for gallstones).
I have been on the same diet for years and it has done nothing for my sleep apnea! The only way I could imagine diet would help is if the person lose a lot of weight which may help reduce apnea.

brenda

Okay but there are many AIP diets now and they vary regarding strictness. Mine was extremely strict and I don't think it would have worked otherwise due to the number of autoimmune conditions I had. Whether SA is autoimmune I have no idea.