• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What gives you joy every day?

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
By the way, chocolate-people.. Does eating dark chocolate work for your ME to some degree? I know a guy who eats 1 pack each day and says it does

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
well, i had a crockpot at home which i bought for $20 but never used. I put an ad to sell it on craiglist for $20. i had a man contact me. he was chinese and did not know english too well but said he wanted to purchase the crockpot. we live in a condo and i arranged to meet him that evening in the lobby downstairs.
I read that whole story without knowing what a crockpot is, and it was still funny :). First I thought it was something for putting flowers in. Then I thought it must be a bedpan. Finally I decided I had to google it. Never occured to me it was a slow cooker, even when the chinese guy asked if he could cook rice in it. Oh that poor guy. I'd have let him use the bathroom.

By the way, chocolate-people.. Does eating dark chocolate work for your ME to some degree? I know a guy who eats 1 pack each day and says it does
I like to think so and convince myself it's the magnesium and manganese in it...I think a couple of squares a day is more value as a treat if im being totally honest with myself..can't hurt though...and it must be better than biscuits

Hajnalka

I like to think so and convince myself it's the magnesium and manganese in it...I think a couple of squares a day is more value as a treat if im being totally honest with myself..can't hurt though...and it must be better than biscuits

There was a whole thread here (you can always count on PR :)) where people brought torches and pitchforks because MEpedia mentions dark choclate (and apparently therefore hurts ME advocacy and should be taken down).

The villain: http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Cocoa

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
There was a whole thread here (you can always count on PR :)) where people brought torches and pitchforks because MEpedia mentions dark choclate (and apparently therefore hurts ME advocacy and should be taken down).

The villain: http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Cocoa

Haha not surprised, but I don`t think the battle hinges on a choco-article on a wiki-site no one but us visits^^

Well, it has got to be the home Mr S built for me, the lounge in particular. Which, compared to the rest of my home, is not subtly decorated and I am filling with as many orchids and house plants as I can get away with. The bunting went up for my birthday and probably wont come down till Christmas. I love fabrics, pattern and colour (did anybody see American Gods? Ostara's house is my spiritual home, she stole my colour scheme, grrr).

Most days I spend 12hrs on the sofa. I can see the pool out of the patio doors, its been a good year for the water lilies and dragon flies. We have a flighty heron and occasional ducks visit, I haven't seen the kingfisher since we moved in. The local house martens swoop in and take turns to dip in the water, a few days ago there was a flock of 30 or more soaring round in circles and dipping. I think that was around the full moon and the start of autumn here.

livi room.jpg

You wouldn't think its in the back of a lorry!

@Mrs Sowester it all looks very organised and comfortable and no it doesn't look like the back of a Lorry...more like the comfy wing of your house.

...is it wrong to have stool envy? .....I don't care what it looks like and I may not choose the same colour, but yours looks perfect size and height ...my problem is Mrs sloth doesn't like me hogging the sofa in the kitchen and won't decamp to the living room of an evening where we can both chill out coz she likes "being in the kitchen" I've come to the conclusion that a foot stool might be just the thing....just can't find the right dimensions. Can I ask where you got it?

I'm sorry to disappoint you @arewenearlythereyet, but we made it. Mr S had the feet in the potting shed, he fixed them to a ply square, then we added foam to get the height right and the upholstery was a team effort.
There are a lot of footstools about though, IKEA had some good ones that are firm enough to use as coffee tables.
Oh well I'm very impressed with your furniture making skills...ill keep searching for that perfect height etc. :)

Hajnalka

my problem is Mrs sloth doesn't like me hogging the sofa in the kitchen and won't decamp to the living room of an evening where we can both chill out coz she likes "being in the kitchen" I've come to the conclusion that a foot stool might be just the thing
Now I'm a little disappointed @arewenearlythereyet, I hoped your evenings in the kitchen would look like this:

images

Invisible Woman

Well, it has got to be the home Mr S built for me, the lounge in particular.

Mrs S - that's gorgeous! Looks stylish and cozy and just lovely. I remembered you say the man himself was working on converting a lorry or something so I kinda expected it to be very functional and a bit severe. Wow!

I've started a campaign to get Mr S to paint the blue wall behind the pool pink too, but he just gives me a look. A long suffering husband look.

Ok. Now I'm really suspicious. I know that look! It was the look I got when I made him repaint our bedroom 'cause I decided I loathed the new colour. In our house we call it "The Look".

We are gonna have to compare diaries......