• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What gives you joy every day?

Jan

Cups of tea (decaf) :mug:

A cream tea or cake when I get out although I really shouldn't eat wheat or dairy :cake:

Desserts and chocolate, not so often these days since I gained weight

Dried fruit (mango, mixed berries, and my new favourite, sour cherries) I'm kidding myself that they are so much healthier than cake or desserts :D

The sea is my favourite place to be, I always feel at peace when by the sea, even better if I'm having lunch or afternoon tea as well :cool:

My garden, it is too much work for me but it's a great source of pleasure :tulip:

The beautiful birds outside my window, we get a lot of goldfinches, chaffinches, blue tits, swallows, blackbirds and many others

The field next to my house, I'm so lucky to have stunning countryside views and sheep as neighbours. I was lucky enough to see a stoat passing by once and recently we have a fox visiting the garden. All wildlife and animals bring me much joy.

The #1 thing that brings me joy every day is my beautiful, funny and very mischievous ferrets. They are so entertaining and always make me laugh every day. I should not have them really, as they exhaust me so much, but I could not be without them :heart:

Spending time with dogs or just watching them play, we hope to have one one day :dog:

My little art collection, nothing very expensive, but I do love the pictures and sculptures I've collected

TigerLilea

What brings me joy?

• Having my first cup of "Queen Victoria" tea or decaf coffee in the morning while I catch up on line.
  • Being able to get outside and do gardening and yard work even if I can only manage 5 or 10 minutes.
  • Playing with my grand nieces (2.5 year old twins) when they visit from out of town.
  • Cooking and baking - especially trying a new recipe.
  • Finishing a Sudoku puzzle.
  • Reading.
  • Decorating the house at Halloween and Christmas.
  • Walking in fresh snow.
  • Sitting in front of a warm fire on a really cold day.
  • My cat, Bella (my avatar).

:thumbsup:

TigerLilea

I turn on the "Fireplace' channel :whistle:

no logs allowed here.
I think we are headed that way, too, in Metro Vancouver. It's only a matter of time before wood burning fireplaces are banned, and the mayor of Vancouver wants to ban natural gas so that would mean no more gas fireplaces (or stoves, furnaces, and hot water tanks). :(

Groggy Doggy

I get joy from waking up each day, knowing that I am alive. I get out of bed and drink a hot cup of coffee; I usually feel hopeful and grateful for what I have. I try and focus on the positive and not let my self defeating self talk take over. On some days it's too easy to slide into my feelings of being overwhelmed, lonely, and having a poor self image; I try to release the negative stuff I don't like because it only makes me feel more crummy. At bedtime I feel joy, because I have conquered another day.

TigerLilea

I get joy from waking up each day, knowing that I am alive. I get out of bed and drink a hot cup of coffee; I usually feel hopeful and grateful for what I have. I try and focus on the positive and not let my self defeating self talk take over. On some days it's too easy to slide into my feelings of being overwhelmed, lonely, and having a poor self image; I try to release the negative stuff I don't like because it only makes me feel more crummy. At bedtime I feel joy, because I have conquered another day.
I was going to put on my list 'waking up every morning and getting to see another day'. After losing my two sisters 20 months apart, I'm grateful for each and every day, no matter how good or bad I feel.

NelliePledge

Classic FM smooth classics
Knowing that I will be retired from my (now part time) job next spring after 32 years in the organisation
A nice cup of red bush (rooibos) tea
Chatting to friends on the phone or messaging on whatsapp
Supporting my football team (proper football ;))
Online ME community :hug:

I've got a log burner too great in the colder months i will be cranking it up in a few weeks no doubt it is starting to turn a bit autumnal now

Mij

I think we are headed that way, too, in Metro Vancouver. It's only a matter of time before wood burning fireplaces are banned, and the mayor of Vancouver wants to ban natural gas so that would mean no more gas fireplaces (or stoves, furnaces, and hot water tanks). :(

Wow, I don't think they're banning natural gas here yet.

Last edited:
Oh, and this little guy:
IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

Jan

Daffodil

What happened?
well, i had a crockpot at home which i bought for $20 but never used. I put an ad to sell it on craiglist for $20. i had a man contact me. he was chinese and did not know english too well but said he wanted to purchase the crockpot. we live in a condo and i arranged to meet him that evening in the lobby downstairs.

he called later from his vehicle on the highway to ask directions and also asked if, when he got here, he could use our bathroom because he really had to go. i said OK. however, when I told my mom this, she refused to let him in, saying it is not safe. I argued for a while but eventually conceded.

when he arrived in the lobby, he was very well dressed, tall, and respectable looking with a nice SUV. As soon as he got inside, he started asking to use the bathroom. He was squeezing his legs together and said he really needed to go badly. I said I was sorry but I cannot let him go at our place. I checked to see if the bathroom used for bldg management was open but it was not. He started squeezing his legs together and jumping up and down. The others in the lobby were moving away from him. I ignored what he was doing and asked if he wanted me to plug the crockpot in, to show it worked. He said OK.

I plugged it in and it started to heat up. The man was satisfied that it worked. He now seemed to be in real pain and began to wince. Again, he begged to use the bathroom. I said no sorry...I told him to go at a restaurant across the street. I said..so its $20 for the crockpot. He produced $50 bill and asked if I had change. I said I did not and he let out a loud, shrill painful sounding wincing sound and squeezed his legs together even tighter, and started bouncing up and down again. I ignored this and told him I would have to go upstairs for change. He said "nooooooooo!!!" and produced $19 in change and asked if it would be OK. I said OK. He then asked, "What is a crockpot?"

He asked if he could use it to cook rice and I said maybe. He then left with the crockpot and I went home and told some friends what had happened. They all joked that perhaps he peed in the crockpot on the way to the party he was going to.

I was very glad my mother had the foresight not to let him in because something tells me things wouldnt have gone too well had that happened. To this day, my friends bring up this story as one of the funniest things they have ever heard.

Mij

@Daffodil I agree with Aziel that this was a wise decision. He may have genuinely needed to go, but you just can't take that chance. He was nicely dressed and drove a nice SUV makes me wonder why he would want to buy a used crockpot. A brand new one doesn't cost more than $60. Something was off with him for sure.

I'll never look at my crockpot in the same way again!

Daffodil

@Daffodil I agree with Aziel that this was a wise decision. He may have genuinely needed to go, but you just can't take that chance. He was nicely dressed and drove a nice SUV makes me wonder why he would want to buy a used crockpot. A brand new one doesn't cost more than $60. Something was off with him for sure.

I'll never look at my crockpot in the same way again!
lol. it wasnt actually used...just sat in my closet for a long time. maybe it was a last minute gift for the party he was going to...i dont know. i think it was really out of his way to come here too.....and he didnt even know what a crockpot was lol. people were moving their kids away from him in the lobby hah. i wish i could have made a video