• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What gives you joy every day?

I joined PR realizing that I've had CFS longer than I've lived being healthy. I hadn't really thought about it that way until recently.

When I reflect back, I realize how much positivity has fostered an inner strength that helps me even when my body is weak. That's not to say I don't complain about how terrible I'm feeling, but I also joke about it and distract myself from dwelling on it.

I've found that it really is the little things that can give some joy and happiness to each day. What's your something that you enjoy each day?

Last edited:

Hutan

Also, just enjoying a hot cup of tea at the end of every day makes me feel peaceful, no matter how bad I feel.

Yes, a cup of tea is a wonderful thing. Even better if I manage to make it in my teapot with loose tea, rather than just using a teabag in the cup.

Another every day joy is a vase with fresh flowers or leaves. Today I have some yellow daffodils with orange trumpets in the jar on my kitchen table, not yet fully open. It's a little oasis of calm and beauty that I can look at while ignoring the mountain of dishes in my kitchen.

daffodils.JPG

I like my first espresso in the morning. Ever since I restricted caffeine to one double when I get up, I look forward to it while I'm in bed going off to sleep.

I also get the nature thing and like looking at life going on in my garden

I recently saw one of these hummingbird moths for the first time which are amazing ..especially in England quite exotic

lafarfelue

My indoor plants give me joy. We're in a cold Spring at the moment, and I've still managed to propagate some more spiderplants, so I'm pretty chuffed with myself. I have a pile of dishes by my bed and I haven't been able to pull the sheets off my bed in about 2 months, but I make sure my plants are cared for as best possible.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Lots of things. Some every day and some occasional.

Looking at the sea
Hearing the kookaburras
Russian Caravan Tea
Watching whales and dolphins
My favourite TV shows
Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos
My garden
My indoor plants
Getting out to my favourite cafe by the sea
My favourite rug
The ladies from crochet group
Books
Op shops
My NutriBullet
My crock pot
Roasts
Text conversations with my sister in law and cousin
Dogs

Plenty more if I think about it for longer.

Best wishes Andy

Mij

my espresso, but have to limit to x3 week.
Chai drinks
raw desserts that I make and my new addiction . . . cupcakes (pic included)
Cat videos because I can't have one due to allergies. You can ignore them but they won't go away @arewenearlythereyet
my view of the skyline at night when all the stars are visible
my friendly neighbourhood
going out for walks when I'm having a good day
music
crockpot
my new pillow ( I've been searching for years for the perfect one)
silk duvet
WhatsApp with my sister who lives far away

Attachments

• cupcake day.jpg
    cupcake day.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 26

Daffodil

@Hutan are those flowers from your garden?

things that bring me joy: cup of tea with something sweet. i have this twice a day (if very unwell and down, three times). I am not supposed to have milk or probably caffeine or sugar according to doctor....but i do it anyway :-/

rain (as long as its not too many days in a row)

Ted Talks

Music

Tammy

The apt. that I live in has a huge living room window from ceiling height down to floor level so I can see all the critters that come wondering by. Rabbits, birds including quail (the baby quail are too cute for words), the very occasional road runner, the local stray cat I've given the name tiger. They all bring a smile to my face.

Also...........really enjoy the moments I get to spend with the different neighborhood dogs.

Hutan

@Hutan are those flowers from your garden?

No, usually the flowers are from my garden or given to me, but I bought those from a lady selling buckets of them by the side of the road for a charity.

I'm happy to see so many people loving crockpots. I thought I was somewhat odd in getting so much joy from mine. I gave all of our nieces and nephews and my daughter crockpots when they left home!

During my housebound years I would watch those old BBC costume dramas where there are 3, or 6 or 13 episodes with characters that develop.
Just 1 episode per day would be the big daily highlight.
The 1996 Pride and Prejudice version.
1975 series of "When the Boat Comes In" and 1980's "Tenko", about British women in the Japanese camps.
"To Serve Them All My Days "- 1981

I would rate them as the best television drama ever made.
I don't like modern TV.

It educated as well as entertained.

Unfortunately now that I am not housebound, I can't get into TV watching in the same way.

I like the crock pot and searching for a pillow suggestion :)

Invisible Woman

What a lovely, uplifting thread!

Tea (decaff)

My kindle - it's nearly always by my side

Dark chocolate - I order a month's supply at a time online (not that I eat that much!!!). Delivery day is fab!

My steamer - it's s two tier job and really basic. My cheapest pot and my favourite.

My dog.

Invisible Woman

@arewenearlythereyet & @ Mij

Nope, sadly I cannot count willpower among my superpowers! :)

As it's dark chocolate I can only eat a small amount at a time so it's kinda self limiting that way. Luckily!

Back in the day before I got the sugar & carbs under control I simply couldn't be trusted around chocolate....or crisps...

I also have set amounts as a "portion". I take that amount & put the rest back before wandering off to have it with a cuppa. Any more & I'll feel a bit sick which would be a disappointing waste.

The Chocolate Trading Company is one place that has a great selection....very enjoyable shopping chore :thumbsup:

TigerLilea

As it's dark chocolate I can only eat a small amount at a time so it's kinda self limiting that way. Luckily!

Back in the day before I got the sugar & carbs under control I simply couldn't be trusted around chocolate....or crisps...
I can't be trusted around chocolate either, however, dark chocolate I can't eat a lot of. I recently bought a bag of dark chocolate bark with sea salt and pumpkin seeds and so far I have only been eating one piece a day and not every day. That is definitely a record for me. :D