• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Olli Polo (Finland) in trouble for treating PWME

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I get the following message:

"This page was not retrieved from its original location over a secure connection."
I can't fix that. Sorry.
shrug2.gif

JES

Valvira vei CFS-väsymysoireyhtymään erikoistuneelta lääkäriltä toimiluvan - potilaiden omaiset hädissään
http://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/201709042200370930_u0.shtml

Nyt puhuvat Valviran hyllyttämän CFS-lääkäri Olli Polon potilaat: "En pysy hengissä ilman sitä hoitoa"
http://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/201...07.1742375126.1504733477-191140113.1504626999

Olli Polo was basically the only doctor treating CFS patients in Finland. He was seeing approximately a thousand patients, who are now left without treatment, so the situation is somewhat of a catastrophe. AFAIK the main treatments he uses are LDN, adrenaline and oxygen therapy. The supervisory authority who banned his private practice argued that his treatments "danger the safety of patients" and that "it's not normal that such a large number of CFS diagnoses come from one doctor". Needless to say, the reason for the large number of CFS cases diagnosed by Polo is that CFS patients have no other doctor to go to. Regarding dangering the safety of patients, I'm not aware that has actually happened. In the latest statement I got the picture that the issue seems more about using experimental / off-label treatment on a large number of patients. Ultimately, probably the main issue is that these CFS diagnosed patients are a burden to our social welfare system, as they can't be ignored as easily with an official diagnosis.

The experiences I've had from using LDN is that it improves my sleep and reduces my neuropathic pain. I guess I'll do without it, but apparently some patients have seen large benefits from it, and are now likely left without.

Hajnalka

Someone from MEAction asked in another group if someone could write this story up. They are thinking of ideas how maybe public pressure could be applied with MEAction. No Finnish people in the other group, so they'll ask the Finnish ME association. If any of you have ideas or know the story and would like to write about it, you could contact MEAction.

Jo Best

Latest news is that the decision of the county has been overturned and Olli Polo is waiting for the state to decide.
http://unesta.fi/index.php/45-hallinto-oikeus-kumoaa-valviran-antaman-varoituksen

Administrative Court annuls Valvira's warning
In its decision of 7 September 2017, the Hämeenlinna Administrative Court annulled the warning issued by Valvira on January 19, 2015 to Uncle Olli Polo and returned the case to the referral. A new scientific report has emerged during the course of the 2013 review, which has not been known to Valviva when it has made the decision under appeal. The Administrative Court also notes that Section 31 of the Administrative Procedure Act (586/1996) states that a decision which may be appealed against can not be enforced before it has become final. The Valviran's decision contains an erroneous statement of the immediate implementation of the decision.