• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Berberine is toxic to the miotochondria

Gondwanaland

It is a mitotoxin
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17704354
J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007 Nov;323(2):636-49. Epub 2007 Aug 17.
Mitochondrially targeted effects of berberine [Natural Yellow 18, 5,6-dihydro-9,10-dimethoxybenzo(g)-1,3-benzodioxolo(5,6-a) quinolizinium] on K1735-M2 mouse melanoma cells: comparison with direct effects on isolated mitochondrial fractions.

Abstract
Berberine [Natural Yellow 18, 5,6-dihydro-9,10-dimethoxybenzo(g)-1,3-benzodioxolo(5,6-a)quinolizinium] is an alkaloid present in plant extracts and has a history of use in traditional Chinese and Native American medicine. Because of its ability to arrest the cell cycle and cause apoptosis of several malignant cell lines, it has received attention as a potential anticancer therapeutic agent. Previous studies suggest that mitochondria may be an important target of berberine, but relatively little is known about the extent or molecular mechanisms of berberine-mitochondrial interactions. The objective of the present work was to investigate the interaction of berberine with mitochondria, both in situ and in isolated mitochondrial fractions. The data show that berberine is selectively accumulated by mitochondria, which is accompanied by arrest of cell proliferation, mitochondrial fragmentation and depolarization, oxidative stress, and a decrease in ATP levels. Electron microscopy of berberine-treated cells shows a reduction in mitochondria-like structures, accompanied by a decrease in mitochondrial DNA copy number. Isolated mitochondrial fractions treated with berberine had slower mitochondrial respiration, especially when complex I substrates were used, and increased complex I-dependent oxidative stress. It is also demonstrated for the first time that berberine stimulates the mitochondrial permeability transition. Direct effects on ATPase activity were not detected. The present work demonstrates a number of previously unknown alterations of mitochondrial physiology induced by berberine, a potential chemotherapeutic agent, although it also suggests that high doses of berberine should not be used without a proper toxicology assessment.

Paralee

Thank you @Gondwanaland , I know someone that takes it so I was going to check it out. Anything I take Has to leave my mitos alone, or even better, make them better. I'm not really sure what berberine is taken for, I got the impression it was like an antibiotic?

Edit, just re-read that post and it said chemo-ic? Ugh! I see the "quino" in the description, that's enough for me.

Paralee

Anti-diabetic? That's interesting. Want to know something else interesting? I found an article or something on the net about they're combining Cipro with berberine. It never ends.

ljimbo423

Thanks @Gondwanaland for posting this, more people need to have this knowledge.:) I have been taking berberine for 4-5 months at 4-500mg a day, for sibo/dysbiosis.

I just stopped taking it a couple of days ago because I had been feeling much more tired than usual and I knew it might interfere with the mito.

I can't tell yet if I feel better from stopping it, it might take a few days or more to see. If I see a significant improvement in my health, I will definitely post that info.

Jim

adreno

PR activist
Many herbal alkaloids probably are. Likely not a problem if used short term. It's probably part of their mechanism against pathogens. I wouldn't worry about it.

Gondwanaland

Is this what is called Burbur?
I only know the names Barberry and Berberis for it
Many herbal alkaloids probably are. Likely not a problem if used short term. It's probably part of their mechanism against pathogens. I wouldn't worry about it.
As anti-microbial it is indeed supposed to be used on short few rounds but as anti-diabetic is has been promoted to be used continuously :cautious:

SB_1108

I had a near remission (or at least the closest I've been to "normal" since becoming sick) in 2014. My doctor suggested I take berberine to address sibo (which I felt was the remaining piece of the puzzle to full health). In 2015 berberine permanently worsened my health. I have tried for years to fix my gut after the damage from berberine and I've never been able to get back to my pre-berberine levels.

invisiblejungle

I had a near remission (or at least the closest I've been to "normal" since becoming sick) in 2014. My doctor suggested I take berberine to address sibo (which I felt was the remaining piece of the puzzle to full health). In 2015 berberine permanently worsened my health. I have tried for years to fix my gut after the damage from berberine and I've never been able to get back to my pre-berberine levels.

Berberine can cause damage to the mucus membranes. It might be beneficial to take nutrients that heal the gut's mucosal lining, such as lecithin, glutamine, n-acetyl glucosamine, GLA, etc.

Paralee

According to Wikipedia it's a protoberepine group of benzylisoquinoline alkaloids. Quinline, quinolone, whatever, if it has quin in it I run for the hills. Probably from ignorance on my part, but quins scare me and will from now on.

Berberine is supposed to be able to damage mitochondria, just like the fluoroquinolones. Now they're combining the two.

frederic83

Tried it - didn't work. Now I'm trying HBOT to see if that will help. But thank you for the suggestions - keep them coming! I will try anything! :)

What did help you before the berberine experiment ? You say you were quite good. A supplement, drug, or just time ?

SB_1108

What did help you before the berberine experiment ? You say you were quite good. A supplement, drug, or just time ?
An herbal antibiotic called Uva Ursi.

However the year before trying Uva Ursi I had addressed vitamin/mineral imbalances and dysbiosis and I felt like that gave me the boost I needed for the Uva Ursi to help. Berberine seems to have reversed all of the prior benefits.