• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is fish oil the only way to get enough Omega3s?

amaru7

Hi,

everywhere in health sites the importance of Omega 3 support is mentioned, wether for inflammation, cancer, heart disease, brain health, mental health/depression, energy etc. I remember I tried an expensive molecularly distillied (supposedly heavy metal free) fish oil from NOW Foods, it had high dose 500mg DHA and 250mg and it smelled very much like it was rancid, plus the pills where huge, I couldn't take it.

Are there alternative ways to get the Omega 3s or maybe leave it all together, even though the evidence seems strong for its use?

Mij

I've taken all sorts of non fish oil Omega 3's but they did not increase my Omega 3's based on an RBC fatty acid test I had done years ago, in fact my Omega 3 was down at 3%. I had bad cognitive issues during that time and was told to take fish oils and it has made a big improvement in my cognitive issues.

pamojja

Are there alternative ways to get the Omega 3s or maybe leave it all together, even though the evidence seems strong for its use?

Well, eating fish is certainly the most direct way.

Remember when I've been member of the TrackYourPlaque forum Dr. William Davis recommended 6g per day - just the DHA and EPA content and not the whole - as strategy against high serum Lp(a) (a cardiovascular risk factor). He recommended that because there was a small study with 2 Bantu tribes in Tansania with the same genetic makeup, one eating plant-based only, the other fish-based, where the later exhibited the lowest Lp(a). They ate about a pound of fish each day, equivalent to 6 g EPA/DHA. It turned out in Dr. Davis clinical experience that Lp(a) indeed dropped like a stone in 60% of those taking 6 g EPA/DHA after 2 to 3 years. Without high Lp(a) Dr. Davis usually recommends 3 g per day EPA/DHA to get RBC omega-3 up to around 10%.

For such high doses fishoil capsules are most convenient, if one can gulp them down without problems. There are also liquid fishoils available, which I don't like that much because of the higher risk of going rancid. Leaves you with the only option of eating at least 1/2 pound of fish each day. Sorry for not being able to provide an easy solution.

Invisible Woman

I eat oily fish regularly but seemed still seemed to be deficient in omega 3 & 6.

I was advised to use Efamol's Efamarine (both Omega6 and Omega3) & it seemed to work well. Now they've discontinued it ....:( There was so sign of that horrible fishy taint.

I have switched to Efamol Woman (omega 6) in combo with Efamol Brain (Omega 3). I have to admit the Efamol Brain is slightly fishy.

Mij

I buy Natural Factors Maximum RxOmega-3 when it goes on special. No fishy rancid odor when I break the capsule open. It should not smell bad.

I also eat (and crave) sardines.

My Omega 6 level was normal on my test so I don't supplement that one.

Hajnalka

Are there alternative ways to get the Omega 3s.
I've been using algae Omega 3 capsules for years, that's where :fish::fish: get their Omega 3 from too (the algae, not the capsules:)) and they work for me. There are several brands, you can find them by searching for "vegan Omega 3" (e.g. on Amazon).

Edited to add: Flaxseed oil is another option but contains a far less effective form of Omega 3.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

Nordic Naturals has omega supplements for children, and the caps are smaller. However, they are lower dosage, so you'd have to take more than other omega supplements.

@amaru7, when you take a capsule, do you first put water in your mouth and then the cap? I do this for any supplement I swallow, and they just glide down easily, and I don't taste them.

I've taken Nordic Naturals liquid before, and it wasn't rancid. You keep liquid fish oils in the fridge. It might be that rancidness isn't a concern if you use a good brand before the expiration date and keep it refrigerated.

perchance dreamer

I also eat (and crave) sardines.

@Mij, I know sardines are so healthy and an excellent source of omega 3s, but I'm squeamish. I've actually only had them once, on the coast of Italy when I was on vacation. The restaurant served fresh sardines on bread with butter, and they were great.

Canned ones would be the most convenient. I'll give them a try, maybe on a slice of my delicious GF bread. Do you eat sardines with anything?

Mij

@Mij, I know sardines are so healthy and an excellent source of omega 3s, but I'm squeamish. I've actually only had them once, on the coast of Italy when I was on vacation. The restaurant served fresh sardines on bread with butter, and they were great.

Canned ones would be the most convenient. I'll give them a try, maybe on a slice of my delicious GF bread. Do you eat sardines with anything?

Oh yum, the fresh sardines are the best. I ate some on vacation in Italy many years ago too. I would eat them twice a week if they were fresh with yummy bread.

I eat them from the can in olive oil.

I have a nice spread recipe if you're interested. Do you have a food processor?

Mij

A good source of Omega-3 is flaxseed oil. I always add it to the salad. It helps maintain the amount of omega-3.

Unfortunately flaxseed oil, hempseed oil and plant based oils did not increase my Omega 3's and I ate tons of it for years! Waste of my money. The only oil that increased Omega 3 was fish oil.

perchance dreamer

@Mij, yes, I have a food processor and would love to look at your recipe. Maybe eating them in a spread first would help me get over my squeamishness.

Mij

I've been using algae Omega 3 capsules for years, that's where :fish::fish: get their Omega 3 from too (the algae, not the capsules:)) and they work for me. There are several brands, you can find them by searching for "vegan Omega 3" (e.g. on Amazon).

Edited to add: Flaxseed oil is another option but contains a far less effective form of Omega 3.

Which one do you buy? I may try this.

Mij

@perchance dreamer

This recipe is from my Food Processor Bible book. The spread tastes like pickled herring not like sardines at all. This is the full recipe but I halve it and it's plenty enough for one.

1 medium onion
1 apple, peeled cored and quatered
x2 3-1/4-oz cans sardines drained
1 slice bread
3 hard boiled eggs
3-4 TBSP vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar)
1 tsp sugar (I skip this one)
dash sea salt

STEEL blade: Process onion and apple until finely minced, 6-8 seconds. Scrape down side of bowl. Add sardines. Process about 6 seconds longer. Moisten bread with cold water and squeeze excess moisture. Add chunks of bread with remaining ingredients. Process 8-10 seconds longer. Refrigerate.

Mij

You're welcome. let me know how you like it.

I'll have to try apple in my tuna salad.