• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements that help with Adrenal Fatigue on Hypoglycemics

Peyt

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone recommend any herbs / supplements that help adrenal fatigue but don't lower or mess with blood glucose/insulin?
In the past when I didn't know that I was hypoglycemic I tried many herbs/supplements to combat adrenal fatigue and although those herbs got rid of the fatigue within a few hours or days of use (depending on the herbs/supplement) I would get violent headaches and agitation and insomnia that now I know it's because they would lower blood sugar. Furthermore, I also have high Lactic acid and Uric acid, so I am hoping to find something that does not contribute to those either.

The good news is ever since I started using cornstarch my blood sugar is stabilizing and I have less headaches and I am able to tolerate a little bit of supplements.

So I would really appreciate it if anyone can recommend a natural herb/supplement for combating adrenal fatigue that does not mess with insulin or glucose, does that even exist?
Thanks so much,

Here are some of the supplements that I remember I tried in the last 15 years that worked for adrenal fatigue but the side effects that I mentioned above were so sever I had to stop them:
Siberian Ginseng, Ginko Biloba , St. John's worth, ALA, Taurine, Glutathione, NAC, Rodiola, Ashwaghanda, Licoric, phosphatidylserine, Panax Ginseng, Schisandra berry, Chromium, Iinositol, just to name a few!

Last edited:

Peyt

Silymarin is what works best for me.
I can use Silymarin as a liver cleanser(Which I need) but not for adrenal. I have tried Silymarin in the form of Milk Thistle and it didn't do anything for my adrenal fatigue, but I am going to start using it for my liver...thanks so much for reminding me,

Peyt

Have you tried Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support? And hydrocortisone? They both help me function.
Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support sounds interesting... looking at the ingridients online it sounds like it addresses both the medulla and cortex. I don't think I would do well with hydrocortisone because I already have high cortisol.

Gondwanaland

I can use Silymarin as a liver cleanser(Which I need) but not for adrenal. I have tried Silymarin in the form of Milk Thistle and it didn't do anything for my adrenal fatigue, but I am going to start using it for my liver...thanks so much for reminding me,
Milk Thistle extract helps me in a number of ways, my husband as well, however he is sulfur sensitive and can't take it daily or in high doses. We usually take 3 sublingual drops at bed time, 5 drops can be too much.

Tammy

One of the things you can do to help your adrenals is to not go more than 2 hrs without eating something. When you go too long between eating the adrenals get stressed.

Some examples of adrenal snacks that combine potassium, sodium and glucose.

1)Apple, Celery, dates
2) Banana, date, raw spinach
3)Avacodo, green leafy veg, orange

This has been helpful for me for both my adrenals and blood sugar issues. If you can't do the combinations...........just try to eat something healthy every couple of hrs.

drob31

How about diet, using the following:

Small meals
Frequent meals
Avoid all food sensitivities (Elimination diet)
Increase carbs but only from sources like sweet potatoes (no grains), fruit is ok
Moderate protein (no protein powders), on from sources like lean fish / chicken (nothing factory farmed)
Lower fats, but not "low fat", and only from sources like coconut oil / olive oil
Take vitamin C (derived from whole foods) with 2-3 meals (1 gram)

You may be eating as many as 6 meals a day, and always eat when you are hungry, and eat enough to keep you full for at least 2-3 hours, but not so much that you spike your insulin (and cortisol which makes adrenal fatigue worse)

Peyt

How about diet, using the following:

Small meals
Frequent meals
Avoid all food sensitivities (Elimination diet)
Increase carbs but only from sources like sweet potatoes (no grains), fruit is ok
Moderate protein (no protein powders), on from sources like lean fish / chicken (nothing factory farmed)
Lower fats, but not "low fat", and only from sources like coconut oil / olive oil
Take vitamin C (derived from whole foods) with 2-3 meals (1 gram)

You may be eating as many as 6 meals a day, and always eat when you are hungry, and eat enough to keep you full for at least 2-3 hours, but not so much that you spike your insulin (and cortisol which makes adrenal fatigue worse)

Thank you for all the good suggestions,
But I can tell you as someone who has been hypoglycemic for many decades I know and have tried all these great suggestions and still
was having headaches 2-3 times a week... Now with taking Cornstarch every 3-4 hours I have not had a headache for almost a month.. so my situation was beyond taking small and frequent meals and avoiding food sensitivities and the rest.

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Ive had to be careful with Milk Thistle - I find because of its liver stimulating properties - which are a good thing - can be quite stimulating on the endrocrine system and can cause a crash.

Ive found using a slow cooker, packed with organic vegetables and lean protein, and eating small amounts everyy 3-4 hours through the day was more powerful solution to hypoglycemia than supplements.

Ive gone from needing to eat every 2 hours to being able to manage 5 comfortably if required, so it definitely works!

fireflymd

Have you tried Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support? And hydrocortisone? They both help me function.

Many years ago I tried low dose hydrocortisone based upon McJeffries' book, Safe Uses of Cortisol. During that time I had the least number of episodes of "episodic fatigue" (that was when it was episodic).

I stopped taking it because the integrative physician I saw at that time recommended I stop it.

How much hydrocortisone are you taking? Back then I took 10 mg in the morning, 5 mg at noon and 5 mg at 4 pm.

Learner1

Many years ago I tried low dose hydrocortisone based upon McJeffries' book, Safe Uses of Cortisol. During that time I had the least number of episodes of "episodic fatigue" (that was when it was episodic).

I stopped taking it because the integrative physician I saw at that time recommended I stop it.

How much hydrocortisone are you taking? Back then I took 10 mg in the morning, 5 mg at noon and 5 mg at 4 pm.
I'm taking it for fatigue, lack of my own cortisol, and to help my immune function.

Around 25mg is supposed to be a "replacement dose", that is, about what the body would make. Taking more starts to give high cortisol symptoms, for me, I start gaining weight around my middle (I'm not overweight, so its easy to notice...)

I didn't think I needed it, and leery of taking too much, but I was literally in a heap in my doctor's office one day and he convinced me to take 10mg of it, and I was wide awake 20 minutes later...

I've been on the same dose for the past 11 months...10mg at 630-8am, depending when I wake up, 10 mg at 11am, and 5mg at 2-3pm. If I need to function in the evening, I take the 2nd and 3rd doses 1-2 hours later. Its pretty easy to remember to take it... I start feeling dizzy and woozy, then have an "aha!" moment and realize I need to take it.

Hope this helps. You might also see if you need pregnenolone...its an easy lab test. It can help with brain fog and cortisol production. (Although it can also make a lot of the other hormones, too, so it's wise to be supervised when playing with it.)

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Im currently starting out on another HydroC experience.

My first years ago I was intolerable to it, this time round, I am ok with it - I believe liver congestion and even weaker adrenals not being able to handle the cortisol receptor activation the HC brings was the problem the first time round.

With my ASI showing max out morning, and then it goes to just above zero from 11am onwards, I dose accordingly to that. Only 2.5mg 11, 2.30, 5.30 at the moment, and will adjust accordingly once use to it.

Taking the STTM dosage straight off the bat for those with a severe AF and dysfunctional HPA would be like adding gasoline to an already out of control fire. There are some crazy people on STTM.

Both Lam and Dr Myhill recommend 10mg, so Im sticking with that for a while and will adjust inthe future when ore stable.

Positive results so far, not so much in energy, but stability, reduced panic attacks, better blood sugar control, stress tolerence increased, feeling more relaxed.

Some intolerences . increased dizzyness, underlying pent up anxiety, increased hyperarousal - but I believe this is just because my body has been starved of cortisol for over ten years, so its waking up.

Liver is having a tough time with it mind.

fireflymd

I'm taking it for fatigue, lack of my own cortisol, and to help my immune function.

Around 25mg is supposed to be a "replacement dose", that is, about what the body would make. Taking more starts to give high cortisol symptoms, for me, I start gaining weight around my middle (I'm not overweight, so its easy to notice...)

I didn't think I needed it, and leery of taking too much, but I was literally in a heap in my doctor's office one day and he convinced me to take 10mg of it, and I was wide awake 20 minutes later...

I've been on the same dose for the past 11 months...10mg at 630-8am, depending when I wake up, 10 mg at 11am, and 5mg at 2-3pm. If I need to function in the evening, I take the 2nd and 3rd doses 1-2 hours later. Its pretty easy to remember to take it... I start feeling dizzy and woozy, then have an "aha!" moment and realize I need to take it.

Hope this helps. You might also see if you need pregnenolone...its an easy lab test. It can help with brain fog and cortisol production. (Although it can also make a lot of the other hormones, too, so it's wise to be supervised when playing with it.)

When I took a daily replacement dose of cortisol, I also wore a med-alert bracelet in case of emergency (during febrile illness or emergency or surgery would require an increased dose of cortisol).

Glad to hear it is helping you.

Learner1

Im currently starting out on another HydroC experience.

My first years ago I was intolerable to it, this time round, I am ok with it - I believe liver congestion and even weaker adrenals not being able to handle the cortisol receptor activation the HC brings was the problem the first time round.

With my ASI showing max out morning, and then it goes to just above zero from 11am onwards, I dose accordingly to that. Only 2.5mg 11, 2.30, 5.30 at the moment, and will adjust accordingly once use to it.

Taking the STTM dosage straight off the bat for those with a severe AF and dysfunctional HPA would be like adding gasoline to an already out of control fire. There are some crazy people on STTM.

Both Lam and Dr Myhill recommend 10mg, so Im sticking with that for a while and will adjust inthe future when ore stable.

Positive results so far, not so much in energy, but stability, reduced panic attacks, better blood sugar control, stress tolerence increased, feeling more relaxed.

Some intolerences . increased dizzyness, underlying pent up anxiety, increased hyperarousal - but I believe this is just because my body has been starved of cortisol for over ten years, so its waking up.

Liver is having a tough time with it mind.
Agreed. You shouldn't take it first thing in the morning if you have some then. And starting slow makes sense.

The advice from Dr Lam, STTM, etc. is not meant for people like us, its for people with garden variety stressed adrenals and thyroid problems.

People in our camp have a constellation of abnormalities, and it takes carefully feeding our various pathways like directing an orchestra. Supporting the adrenals is only one component.

Looking at all hormones, including thyroid, pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone and estrogen is important.

Ensuring digestion is working properly so what we invest can properly be taken in and metabolized. Research has shown most of us had a disturbed gut microbiome and nutrient deficiencies (particularly B vitamins, antioxidants, and certain amino acids and lipids).

Many of us have challenges with methylation and other detoxification pathways, which especially happen in the liver. Supporting the liver generally with something like Thorne Research SAT or Liver Support or similar or supporting the individual pathways can greatly reduce liver difficulties.

The liver can also be harboring infections, so finding and treating them is important.

But, you have to start somewhere with all of this, listen to your body, and keep adjusting. And have good lab work to guide you.

Learner1

When I took a daily replacement dose of cortisol, I also wore a med-alert bracelet in case of emergency (during febrile illness or emergency or surgery would require an increased dose of cortisol).

Glad to hear it is helping you.
Thanks!

The bracelet is a good idea... I just never go anywhere with my HC and T3 pills...;)

fireflymd

Thanks!

The bracelet is a good idea... I just never go anywhere with my HC and T3 pills...;)

Are you taking plain T3 or sustained-release T3? My doc could never figure out my correct dose of SRT3.

Are you determining amount of T3 by symptom-relief, or measuring free T3 the morning after no T3 for 24 hours?

gettinbetter

Dr Wilson has an adrenal rebuilder formula that I use
It is adrenal tissue with hormones removed
I cannot say if it is working since the adrenals rebuild slowly but I feel better
Liver
Pantothenic Acid
Vitamin C
Adrenal extracts hype me up

Learner1

Are you taking plain T3 or sustained-release T3? My doc could never figure out my correct dose of SRT3.

Are you determining amount of T3 by symptom-relief, or measuring free T3 the morning after no T3 for 24 hours?
T3 in divided doses.

I have labs drawn after no T3 for 24 hours. We dose according to keeping FT3 abot 2/3 of the way up the normal range and my temperature, BP, and pulse. And my symptoms.