• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Data on ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia from 2014 Canadian Community Health Survey

Tom Kindlon

CCHS_Stats_2014 2.png

Last edited:

Tom Kindlon

Do you know what criteria they used for ME? 1.4% seems a bit high.

METHODOLOGY/TECHNICAL NOTES

The data come from the Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS), a population-based cross-sectional survey that provides important information about health issues in Canada. The target population is Canadians aged 12 and older but excludes people living on Indian Reserves, residents of institutions, full-time members of the Canadian Forces and residents in certain remote regions. In 2014, the target population included 30,167,000 Canadians, over 97% of Canadians aged 12 and older.

Canadians who participated in the survey were interviewed either in person or on the telephone. They are asked about having “long-term conditions”, (defined as those which are expected to last or have already lasted 6 months or more) that have been diagnosed by a health professional. Participants are asked about multiple chronic conditions and may answer “Yes” to having any number of chronic conditions; therefore, the same individual may be included in more than one chronic condition group.

The CCHS asks about “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”. In this report it is referred to as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or ME/CFS.

Information about each of the chronic conditions is asked from all Canadians aged 12 and older with the exception of Arthritis (ages 14+), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (ages 35+), and Urinary Incontinence (ages 25+). For analysis with the Public Use Microdata File (see below), data on Arthritis is only available for those aged 15+. Information about each of the measures is asked from all Canadians aged 12 older with two exceptions. Unmet Home Care Needs is asked from those aged 18 and older.

Permanently Unable to Work is asked from those aged 15 to 74, but the graph uses the range 18-64 because employment social programs are often based on this age group.

The questions that form the basis of each of the graphs were asked in all provinces and territories with two exceptions: Unmet Home Care Needs and Food Insecurity. The footnotes to these two graphs show their coverage.

The data in the graphs are based on a sample of Canadians. A coefficient of variation is a measure of the magnitude of sampling variation. Results with large coefficients of variation, determined using guidelines established by Statistics Canada, are marked with an “E”. These results should be interpreted with caution.

With the exception of Unmet Home Care Needs, the data presented are extracted from the 2014 Public Use Microdata File provided by Statistics Canada. Information on Unmet Home Care Needs was provided by Statistics Canada in a custom tabulation generated from the CCHS Master File.

This analysis is based on the Statistics Canada Canadian Community Health Survey Public Use Microdata File, 2014. All computations, use and interpretation of these data are entirely that of the National ME/FM Action Network.

Statistics from the 2005 Canadian Community Health Survey are available at: http://mefmaction.com/images/stories/quest_newsletters/Quest80springsummer2009.pdf
Statistics from the 2010 Canadian Community Health Survey are available at: http://meao.ca/files/Quantitative_Data_Report.pdf

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I am a bit concerned about that myself as a lot of people with the condition wouldn't be diagnosed meaning the prevalence rate would be higher again.

The 2015 Canadian Community Health Survey showed a 37.6% increase in ME diagnosis over the previous year = 560,000. The data is not yet public but we were forwarded an email that Statistics Canada confirms the data.

Health Canada's response?

Denial of their own data.

We got a new Health Minister yesterday. She's not a physician, but a social worker, so that may be a step in the right direction.

Canada also has the highest MS rates in the world.