• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ANXIETY, PANIC ATTACKS

Mivvi5

Hello, i couldnt find a set area for help, advice and info regarding anxiety, panic attacks etc. Is there one please ? I am in a constant state of high anxiety and panic. Any advice, info or help would be very much appreciated. Thank you. X

Shoshana

Northern USA
I am sure that others have listed ideas for this, at other times, that were very good,

but I searched , too, for you, and have not found them either.

Maybe someone else who sees this topic, will know where they are.

Sometimes more people come on weekdays than weekend, but I know you need and deserve, ideas, today.
I will be thinking of you!

Shoshana

Northern USA
https://www.nopanic.org.uk/important-breathe-properly-help-anxiety/

I found this, though you might already know about it, and it might not be the thing that will help you get through, today.

I also noticed others suggest things, like focus on what does your body need right now... water ? food? rest?

Or others suggested watching movies, I noticed.

I find a supplement called l-theonine helps me. Everyone is different about those types of specifics. Green tea or twig tea or herb tea? Some use a small amount of natural liquid, Rescue Remedy.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I forgot to say, maybe the best section for you to list this topic, would be under "Emotional Support"

We could ask a moderator, @Kina
who could move it over to there.

The forum does not like the same post in multiple places, so either let her move it, or explain a bit more, in a new related topic, in that section, is another possible idea for you.

Hip

Yes, the link that @Skycloud provides above details some supplements which I and many others found have potent anti-anxiety effects, especially the N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG).

I have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) rather than panic disorder, and NAG seems to work very well for GAD.

Richard7

I'll add another recommendation for for the @Hip thread that Skycloud linked to.

I found that the flaxseed oil, tumeric and NAG made dramatic changes. I also found inositol effective in the short term - I read on examine.com that it was more effective in soft gels (so I assume with fat) so I always took it with some fat.

Hip has theorised that this is about inflammation and I found that after about a year following something of an antiinflammatory and anti permeability path and doing a lot of gut work I have been able to stop the tumeric without any ill effect (so far). But I still have about half a kilo in the cupboard just in case and am still taking more flaxseed oil than hip suggests and NAG.

I have PoTS after starting on Hip's mix I found that most of my remaining anxiety seemed to be related to PoTS and resting before it got bad, having plenty of salt and potassium and occasionally b group vitamins helped.

Richard7

it just occured to me - while having a curried vegetable soup for lunch - that I have a fair amount of tumeric in my diet. I have stopped taking it as a matter of course as a supplement, but I still have it in my diet and am ready to take it as a supplement if anxiety hits.

Diwi9

Administrator
@Mivvi5 - I am so sorry you are going through this discomfort and strain. Are you currently in a continual push-crash cycle? For me, anxiety and panic arise during PEM...sometimes it can be quite severe. I try to remind myself during those times that it is part of the disease...even when it just feels like pure crisis internally. I try the best I can to separate myself/identity from the experience that is happening to my body and brain during a crash. This disease can cause havoc on our cognitive and emotional states. All of the above information provided by others members is excellent in trying to curb it. If your anxiety is indeed chronic and not PEM-related, please seek professional help. Anxiety may be common, but it is also quite serious, and there is professional support and skills you can be given to help you manage it. Sometimes it is possible to do on one's own, but if not, trusted professional support can be an enormous help in coping.

Just to warn you @Mivvi5 that thread of hip's is excellent but very long. Took me several days to get through it all! I am also struggling with major anxiety at the moment and find it extremely debilitating - it has made me housebound and bedbound for much of the day.

For those of you who take N-A-G, when do you take it? And do you take it with food or on an empty stomach? My anxiety is really bad first thing in the morning but I seem to remember trying it before and having a really bad reaction to it. I've just taken a capsule with my sandwich and feel very weird now. Surely that must be psychological? It wouldn't do anything that quickly would it?

Richard7

@MargUK I take it on an empty stomach twice a day. I seemed to need it 3x per day early on.

But remember that Hip only found that it worked for about half of the people who tried it and only in combination with the flaxseed oil and the tumeric.

hangininthere

I've just taken a capsule with my sandwich and feel very weird now. Surely that must be psychological? It wouldn't do anything that quickly would it?

I, too, feel the effect within minutes when taking certain medicines or supplements. Seems impossible, but it's true for me, too. I don't think it's psychological - I couldn't conjure up a different feeling out of the blue. I've read of what's called 'the placebo effect', but I'm not that suggestible or imaginative.

I just now searched google, and ran across 'leaky gut syndrome' which allows an ingested food or supplement into the bloodstream faster than it's supposed to. I'm guessing this could explain our immediate reaction to some substances, similar but not the same as the fact that an ingested allergen can cause an immediate reaction, such as a peanut allergy, or when I drink milk my abdomen bloats up and I feel spaced out. Just guessing.

https://scdlifestyle.com/2010/03/the-scd-diet-and-leaky-gut-syndrome/

Patti

Last edited: