• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lysine gives me a low grade fever, but why?

BadBadBear

I have been taking ~3,000 mg per day of lysine in divided doses most days since I tested positive for EBV this Spring. On days I take lysine, I almost always have afternoon fevers of 99.4 degrees or so. If I skip lysine for a week, the fever goes away.

Does anyone have a theory of why lysine would cause fevers?

I cannot take lysine at night as its too stimulating, so I take it first thing in the morning and again around 11. By 3, I have a fever. It goes away in the evening. It's really strange, and I have not been able to find anything about fever as a side effect of lysine.

Thanks!
Michelle

BadBadBear

L-lysine is killing the virus...........and your body is responding to all the viral toxins with the fever.

That is an interesting idea, thanks! I had read the article here about how some people's bodies try to run on amino acids such as lysine and wondered if that gives a metabolic/energetic effect that makes a fever possible...

Tammy

You might consider taking Ester C along with the L-lysine to help flush the viral toxins out of the liver. Ebv loves the liver. I take as much Ester C as I do L-lysine.............actually more.

BadBadBear

You might consider taking Ester C along with the L-lysine to help flush the viral toxins out of the liver. Ebv loves the liver. I take as much Ester C as I do L-lysine.............actually more.

Thanks, I do take a ton of C. Ester C or C salt or liposomal. 2x a day I drink 1 gram C, lysine powder, salt, potassium bicarbonate. Also drink a couple more of those in the PM w/o the lysine! So around 3 grams lysine to 4 grams of C a day. Does that match your ratio? I probably would tolerate another gram or two of C.

Tammy

Right now I'm taking 4 grams of Lysine and 5 grams of Ester C daily............divided into 2 doses. I would like to take even more C............but the budget doesn't allow at this time.