• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there research on menopause and ME/CFS?

Groggy Doggy

Just curious, did you have genetic testing for HFE gene mutations?

Hi Groggy. Thanks for the response. Genetic testing not on the NHS menu over here. But apparently my father's mother had little energy and suffered from what was disparagingly called 'tired-itis'. I never really knew her. Also my father had a mystery illness in young adulthood that included fatigue, was given another diagnosis, but he could keep working and crashed at weekends.

Hi Groggy. Thanks for the response. Genetic testing not on the NHS menu over here. But apparently my father's mother had little energy and suffered from what was disparagingly called 'tired-itis'. I never really knew her. Also my father had a mystery illness in young adulthood that included fatigue, was given another diagnosis, but he could keep working and crashed at weekends.
Just googled HFE and I have problems with low iron: needed infusion 5-6 years ago. Now having supplements. So not likely.

I am on HRT. Pre-dates ME.

Tried to come off it and my ME was way worse. Aware of the risks but have decided to continue taking it.

Best wishes Andy
Hi Andy had real problems w menopause too, pre recent onset so on low HRT, reasonable risk in circs. Do think it (menopause) was part of the mix. Best wishes. Ruth

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@RuthT

Not for me. Problems with pre menopause and taking HRT with good results years before ME.

Plenty of ME triggers for me with the main suspect being statins.

Best wishes Andy

Menopause was fantastic for me. For years my ME symptoms would deteriorate badly every month when I had a period. Even when I'd passed the stage of being bedbound virtually all the time, I would end up spending two days a month in bed. My symptoms would start to improve and then it would all go downhill again a few weeks later. When I reached the menopause my symptoms continued to improve without hindrance. Also my ferritin levels, that I had been supplementing with high-dose iron supplements for 10 years under the direction of my GP, rose to excellent levels without supplementation. I haven't even had any hot flushes. My only problem is urogenital atrophy, and unfortunately the usual treatment for this is oestrogen replacement, which doesn't suit me due to my MCS, but I'd trade that for the significant improvement in my overall health any day.

charles shepherd

MEA information on the menopause and research into female hormone status in ME/CFS

We have an MEA information leaflet that you might find helpful here

This covers all aspects of the menopause - symptoms, investigations, treatment options for specific menopausal symptoms, as well as the use of HRT - in relation to ME/CFS

This leaflet also summarises and references all the research that has been carried out into female hormonal status and the menopause in ME/CFS

In relation to female hormone status it is worth having a look at the research carried out by Studd and Panay into premenstrual exacerbation of ME/CFS and their recommendations elating to hormonal treatment in this situation

This leaflet can be ordered from Medical Management section of the on-line MEA website shop:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/shop/management-leaflets/menopause/

Similar information on research into female hormone status is summarised and referenced in the MEA purple book

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA