• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reddened joints

eric_gladiator

Since these months that I began the new symptoms I notice many times that my joints turn red, such as the knees, the knuckles of the hands ... what is it? I also notice that these symptoms often appear with hot water or when consuming sugar

Invisible Woman

Since these months that I began the new symptoms I notice many times that my joints turn red, such as the knees, the knuckles of the hands ... what is it? I also notice that these symptoms often appear with hot water or when consuming sugar

Are they sore as well?

Are they also swollen?

Not that I know the answer but if they are also sore & swollen I'd see the doc.

charles shepherd

BASIC MEA INFORMATION RE JOINT SYMPTOMS:

Bottom line here is that red joints are NOT a part of ME/CFS - you need to show these red joints to your doctor!

Although joint pain/discomfort can form part of ME/CFS, consideration should always be given to the fact that this could be due to a rheumatic disease that also causes fatigue (as many can - including lupus/SLE, Sjogren's Syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis), or the presence of a fibromyalgic component to ME/CFS.

Joint pain can also be caused by hypermobility syndromes, which are more common in people with ME/CFS, and should always be considered in younger people with joint pain - especially if there are other symptoms suggestive of hypermobiity syndromes such as very flexible joints, joint dislocation, digestive problems, dizziness or fainting episodes, thin or stretchy skin with easy bruising

More info on hypermolbility syndromes:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/joint-hypermobility/Pages/Introduction.aspx

The clinical assessment of people with ME/CFS who also have joint pain, along with relevant investigations, is covered in some detail in the MEA purple book

Joint pain in ME/CFS is NOT accompanied by swelling, redness or deformity - so if any of these 'red flag' symptoms or signs are present this indicates another explanation that requires proper clinical assessment and investigation by your doctor

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA