• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2 I love you!

Kathevans

@winston I really don't know. I just received an order about a week ago. I suspect, as CCC said, it's just the server. They do have a process where you place your order and then they email you a day or so later to ask for the payment. Then the sale moves forward from there.

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
Do you or anyone have any research into which blood test is best? I can source either the EGRAC test or HPLC.

Valid testing for vitamin B2 levels - riboflavin

There are 1123 posts on this thread ...but does B2 have any relevance for me? That is, any valid way to measure it in me? I tried to dig hard to find scientific evidence and here it is: The only test that is largely valid and is practically available is the EGRAC = erythrocyte glutathione reductase activation coefficient.

This is the most extensive and new (August 2017) scientific text I found:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2017.4919/full

Here the essentials:
The Panel considers that the inflection point in the urinary riboflavin excretion curve in relation to riboflavin intake reflects body saturation and can be used as a biomarker of adequate riboflavin status. The Panel also considers that erythrocyte glutathione reductase activation coefficient is a useful biomarker, but has limitations.​
- This means: There is a valid urinary test. It is, however, not offered by anyone. The EGRAC limitations ane nothing to worry about, just that physical activity can falsify it, and: "EGRAC cannot be used in people with G6PD deficiency".

Section 2.4.3 analyses in all detail various ways of testing B2 in blood and it is not considered valid, but I did not find any useful statement on how wrong it is.

I am glad I found one single lab here (Unilabs) offering the EGRAC. (All others test only B2 in blood.) They didn't make it easy for me and named their EGRAC in a fancy way: FADxcoeff.... This fancy name costed quite some delay in searching but I am more happy than annoyed because THEY DO IT!

IMG_20170815_154308.jpg

I already had a similar story with thiamine testing:
A doctor led me astray by non-valid testing of thiamine. Her simple blood test came back good. I had to find out that the valid test showed a huge deficiency. I earned a substantial improvement after a rather troublesome course of supplementation, and after learning 100 details about B1, which I never would have done if not knowing that I am badly deficient. ➞ Valid testing pays!

PS: If anyone interested, attached to this post there is a document containing a list of valid tests for several vitamins.

Last edited:

gettinbetter

Thank you for your answer brenda.
If I understand it right, this leaves us with a protocol which would try to reestablish the methylation cycle by taking B2 and manganese for a while. Hoping for the best, since if the methylation cycle is restored, the B12 deficiency and other deficiencies might correct themselves after a while.
Am I correct?

The crash and detox effects than happen with mb12 and metafolin (I think someone has reported that last one alone?), defined by Freddd as paradoxical folate deficiency would be avoided. Is that the aim of not taking methyl donors?

However I find that taking B2 and manganese does bring me that same crash and detox after a few days. Is this a proof that the methylation cycle is working again? Going into overdrive maybe? Sorry I am not too clear about all this.

I suppose the proof is in the pudding. Are any of the people on the B2-manganese/methyl donor avoidance people getting any better after x days of that protocol?
I am getting better in some respects after 3 weeks on B2 (12.5 to 25 mg/day) and manganese (10 mg every other day). More energy, deeper breath, more dreams but awful. Some things are getting worse: sleep agitated and shorter, hearing loss, vague nausea sometimes, irritation of the eyes and joints.
Maybe three weeks is not much, but I was hoping for more!

I agree.
As to taking the B2 before meals, I thought it could be during and after meals too, since the absorption of riboflavin is enhanced by bile, so the presence of a bile producing meal is a help.
Bile producing meal

gettinbetter

Hello All
Hydroxo b12 injections are one of the supplements that helps me the most I have been considering b12 oil because I don't need a prescription
I got in contact with the B12 oil guy and told hime Adenso B12 in black bear spray hypes me really bad and methyl b12 injections make my heart pound really bad for about a day.

He told me I need to supplement with b2 iodine selenium and Molybdenum for about a month and then introduce
Adenso b12 oil and I should not have any bad reactions and my energy levels should increase slowly

I have lifetime problems with fatigue and have tried a number of things so far and think it is worth a try.

My questions are
Have any of you followed the above protocol and how have you benefited?
What kind of B2 iodine a Molybdenum do you use?

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited:

Eastman

He told me I need to supplement with b2 iodine selenium and Molybdenum for about a month and then introduce
Adenso b12 oil and I should not have any bad reactions and my energy levels should increase slowly

I have been taking 18 mg of B2 and a multimineral supplement that includes iodine, selenium and molybdenum for about a year and I still get overstimulated from large doses of AdB12. It is possible I need more B2 or minerals than what I am taking.

Have you seen this thread?

Views on B12--Greg (B12 oils) view vs Rich Van's view--Thoughts?

Eastman

I am taking 18 mg of B2, 56 mcg of iodine, 25 mcg of selenium and 25 mcg of molybdenum now. I approximately halved the dosages for the minerals several months ago and I no longer take large doses of B12 regularly.

Eastman

How would you change that to compensate for the over stimulation due to Adeno B12?

I could take more B2 or the active form of B2, FMN. I did take Source Naturals coenzymated B-2 for a while. But it is sublingual and gets messy (turns my mouth yellow) and didn't seem to make any difference healthwise.

Cutting back on B12 intake seems good enough for me. Small doses of MeB12 - 100-200 mcg every few days - doesn't overstimulate me.

Hi all! I'm drowning in this B2 thread of info and didn't come across anyone with my experience. Taking B2 (R5P) to try and correct my MAO folate b12 methylation situation. I started with 2.5mg then up to 5mg the next week and I had increased anxiety hyper wired tired heart palls and insomnia with nightmares for 3 days. I stopped the b2 and felt exhausted from it all and finally slept- still stressed. Now I'm depressed and extra worn out (CFS life). This happens with almost any B vitamin...or so I believe Adrenaline kicks in and won't turn off... I went through this for 6mo working with a practitioner and it nearly killed me. SO! Can anyone tell me if they can relate with adrenaline when trying to take in what you're deficient in and how you got through it? Thanks in advance!! Ps- I took iodine selenium kelp with the b2/R5P and I think I have enough molybdenum in my diet.
I react the same way to B2, took some time to figure out it was it.
For me I think the cause is severe deficiency which throws my methylation into overdrive, which overstimulates the thyroid and catecholamine production.
I'm compount MTHFR and homozygous in COMT V158M and H62H -> thus problems with catecholamines breakdown. I've found that magnesium helps a lot while supplementing with B2 as it is a COMT cofactor.