• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA Summary Review: Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in ME/CFS

charles shepherd

MEA Summary Review: Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in ME/CFS | 18 August 2017

There has been a lot of talk recently about a new research paper from Stanford University concerning cytokine signatures and disease severity.

In this review, we hope to break down some of the main aspects of that study, question some of the science behind it, and explain a little more about what it means for the future of ME/CFS research.

• Research published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (PNAS), 31 July, 2017
  • Study authors: Jose G. Montoya, Tyson H. Holmes, Jill N. Anderson, Holden T. Maecker, Yael Rosenberg-Hasson, Ian J. Valencia, Lily Chu, Jarred W. Younger, Cristina M. Tato, and Mark M. Davis
  • This summary review has been written by Charlotte (who has M.E. and holds a degree in biochemistry), who has been volunteering at the ME Association to help produce our recent series of lay reports on key research publications
  • The review is also available as a download that might help people with M.E. to absorb the information it contains
More details here on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...ith-disease-severity-in-mecfs-18-august-2017/

Professor Montoya will be over in the UK in September to deliver a key presentation at the CMRC conference in Bristol:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-at-the-conference-next-month-18-august-2017/

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA