• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Plea to colleagues by doctor felled by ME

arewenearlythereyet

That's how I find it useful. My hips hurt when I'm trying to sleep from the pressure I expect because I'm in bed a lot. It doesn't completely resolve the pain but at least enough to get to sleep and often works well in conjunction with sleep meds.
It's funny knees and hips flaring are my warning signs I've done too much. I read somewhere or saw a poll that pain was more likely to be localised to the legs ...I remember wondering why this might be at the time. Perhaps it's POTs related?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
It's funny knees and hips flaring are my warning signs I've done too much. I read somewhere or saw a poll that pain was more likely to be localised to the legs ...I remember wondering why this might be at the time. Perhaps it's POTs related?

It may be. For me the other discomfort at night is my feet. That ache and make me want to move them about. Through chance I've discovered that I can get relief by washing them in cold water before bed. So it seems possibly a heat issue. <Blerg> so many stupid symptoms I never even wanted to know about let alone deal with.

Countrygirl

A very interesting post on reddit by a doctor with ME. He tried to post it in the doctors' subforum for other medics to read, but it was removed, sadly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cfs/comments/6sneul/a_plea_from_a_fallen_doctor_on_chronic_fatigue/

A plea from a fallen doctor on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) (self.cfs)

submitted 4 months ago by fallendocR53-82

I was educated at Baylor and practiced medicine for 30 years. I had a thriving practice, a rich social life, and excellent physical and mental health. I loved what I did and loved my life. I ran marathons, spoke at conferences, and chaired non-profits.

I am now completely bedridden from post viral CFS.

I am writing this to beg my fellow colleagues to take this disease seriously, understand that it is 100% organic in origin, and that it can happen to anyone.

I used to see CFS patients fairly often in my practice. Some of them were quite debilitated and some semi-functional. I always tried to be sympathetic and did what I could to help, but truth be told there was always a voice in my head questioning if their symptoms were psychosomatic. At times I delayed a diagnosis because the literature told me to wait 6 months. I recommended exercise, antidepressants, and psychotherapy because that had always been the conventional wisdom. And when patients didn't come back, I subconsciously assumed they had gotten better, and that I was justified in my approach. I feel tremendous guilt about this now.

When I got the flu that started this, I thought I would be out of work for 10 days. 10 days turned into 10 weeks, and then 10 months. The virus was gone, my labs were clean, and yet I still felt horribly ill.

My symptoms:

• I could barely stand up in the shower due to orthostatic intolerance. Later my wife would have to install a shower chair

• I could not read or write due to cognitive dysfunction

• I could not walk more than 45 steps without extreme lactic build up in my muscles