• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Internal uses for Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking soda) other than heartburn?

amaru7

There are some very extraordinary claims about sodium bicarbonate, like being able to destroy pathogens like viruses, bacteria, molds and parasites even. Dr. Sircus being one of the people, but he sells alot, so his information is questionable to say the least.

I had some good external results, using it to remove bad smells in the kitchen, brushing my teeth works well with it removing any bad smells too and also using it under the armpit.

That's why I'm tempted to try it internatlly on a regular basis aswell, as it neutralizes stomach acid, I would take it before bedtime, where I don't have to digest anything anymore. Thought about 1g daily.

Does someone of you have any experience or research on Bicarbonate?

notmyself

• Eases stomach pain
  • Helps with digestive issues
  • Relieves bloating and gas
  • Fights off diseases
  • Neutralizes acid
  • Kills fungi, mold and parasites
  • Minimizes cough and sore throat
  • Reduces the duration of cold and flu
  • Helps pH balance
  • Reduces the symptoms of gout
  • Promotes kidney health
  • Treats urinary tract infections
  • Reduces muscle pain and fatigue
i don t belive it would ever treat infections ,or fights off disease,but there is some reasearch about the effects on ph and neutralizing acid.Also might be good for acid lactic build-up.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
There are some very extraordinary claims about sodium bicarbonate, like being able to destroy pathogens like viruses, bacteria, molds and parasites even. Dr. Sircus being one of the people, but he sells alot, so his information is questionable to say the least.

I had some good external results, using it to remove bad smells in the kitchen, brushing my teeth works well with it removing any bad smells too and also using it under the armpit.

That's why I'm tempted to try it internatlly on a regular basis aswell, as it neutralizes stomach acid, I would take it before bedtime, where I don't have to digest anything anymore. Thought about 1g daily.

Does someone of you have any experience or research on Bicarbonate?
Have a look at this recent thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/consume-sodium-bicarbonate-without-exercise.53317/

amaru7

For me, I take it after a workout to neutralise Lactic acid released from my muscles. It reduces PEM in my case.
How much do you take? Do you reccon a 1g tablet is enough?
And also does the stomach have to be empty or is it possible to take it 1-2hrs after the last meal without reducing stomach acid and thereby making digestion stop?

amaru7

• Eases stomach pain
  • Helps with digestive issues
  • Relieves bloating and gas
  • Fights off diseases
  • Neutralizes acid
  • Kills fungi, mold and parasites
  • Minimizes cough and sore throat
  • Reduces the duration of cold and flu
  • Helps pH balance
  • Reduces the symptoms of gout
  • Promotes kidney health
  • Treats urinary tract infections
  • Reduces muscle pain and fatigue
i don t belive it would ever treat infections ,or fights off disease,but there is some reasearch about the effects on ph and neutralizing acid.Also might be good for acid lactic build-up.
If you don't beiebe in it, why did you copy that list?
Thats what I was talking about btw, some make very strong claims about it.

Bansaw

How much do you take? Do you reccon a 1g tablet is enough?
And also does the stomach have to be empty or is it possible to take it 1-2hrs after the last meal without reducing stomach acid and thereby making digestion stop?
I take about a quarter of a teaspoon. My Doc was worried that I take it too much because of the stomach acid issue, but I said, "I just take it two or three times a week.." She said,"ok, but dont overdo it."

CedarHome

I take about a quarter of a teaspoon. My Doc was worried that I take it too much because of the stomach acid issue, but I said, "I just take it two or three times a week.." She said,"ok, but dont overdo it."
I took 1/4 tsp while on a road trip. It really helped, immediately.

then I tried another 1/4 tsp after the next 7 hours of the trip (ugh).... Made no difference until the next day when my stomach acid plummeted and digestion stalled out.

I won't try 2 doses on the same day again.

dadouv47

My Doctor prescribed me baking soda for 3 months and since then I keep taking it because it helped me so much for my reflux issues (I have both acid and bile reflux). It was really a game changer for me and way more helpful than anti-acids.

I don't know about other effects (lactic acid & muscle pain, killing parasites), but if you have gastric problems it's clearly a good thing.