• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Old snp to new snp changed variant?

Paralee

I was checking out an old snp and it changed to another snp so I checked it out and it shows a different variant. What do you do when this happens? Go with the new one? Thanks

Paralee

@Valentijn , it was from an old list from 23andme and it was in the list of '#Differences between user's SNP calls and the rCRS'.....'MT, rs41400048, 250, C, T, the C is mine and the T is the ancestral. I found the one it had been incorporated with rs1116836 but it has a different variant. I'm having trouble with all those old snps, the ones I've tried don't come up in 23andme any more.
Evidently the whole snp set up is going to change this year, I wonder what 23andme will do.

@Paralee - rs1116836 isn't the new version of the same SNP. It's on an entirely different chromosome. rs41400048 doesn't exist as an rs number anymore, but that SNP probably isn't problematic, since it's not on a gene.

Paralee

@Valentijn , evidently a lot were replaced, incorporated or deleted in Nov, 2015. I hope they didn't have info I needed, but the enormity of checking each snp is beyond me, anyway. At least I have a little headway with your program but it's still out of my league.
They are fixing to rename our snps, aren't they? I get the feeling when things are changed starting September, 2017 our rs #'s are going to change to other numbers because of advancements in identifying more genes, etc.

They are fixing to rename our snps, aren't they? I get the feeling when things are changed starting September, 2017 our rs #'s are going to change to other numbers because of advancements in identifying more genes, etc.
rs numbers are from dbSNP, so 23andMe can't change them. It's also unlikely that dbSNP will change any that aren't errors.