• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair loss/Low blood bp linked to fatigue

Has anyone experienced low blood pressure and hair loss coinciding with other symptoms? If I have a good few days (rare) when my fatigue is lessened my hair loss slows down and my blood pressure climbs back to my post-illness range (110-120 systolic). If I'm really sick my hair loss is at its worst and my blood pressure won't climb up beyond 85-95 systolic. All labs and hormones (including thyroid) checked out normal multiple times. The only thing out of range for me is my vitamin B12 that is a little high and my BUN/CREATINE is a little high. Doctors did not pay any mind to any of these references in the past. They said high B12 happens and is not dangerous. I wasn't taking any vitamin or B12 rich supplements at the time of my labs last year.

How does CFS relate to blood pressure and hair loss? How can it be possible for these symptoms to change on a dime so quickly from one day to the next?

I have a similar issue. Massive hair loss since i have gotten sick. It improved during a few months when I was feeling better. And now it's bad again. I also have low bp. 75/51 when feeling ill. My number are good except I'm anemic. But not iron deficient. Still trying to figure where that one is coming from. My derm put me on all sorts of hair loss stuff. Hopefully that helps.

Wow! Your bp is so low! Hair loss, low blood pressure, memory problems, ongoing pain and fatigue...—I can't believe some people out there still think this isn't a physiological issue, but psychological! How can depression/anxiety ever cause this?! It's madness!

I'm still baffled how symptoms can change overnight as in my case. When you describe feeling good, you actually have months of remission? How does it happen? Does it happen gradually or spontaneously from one day to the other? I've been dealing with this for years and haven't had a reprieve, except for some random day or two each month, in the last 4 months. My symptoms totally reverse on those days. It's weird!

Learner1

Was your B12 high on a methylmalonic acid test, or was it just the standard B12 test?

I have seen situations where B12 is very low on a MMA, but looks fine on the standard test which was reflecting recent supplementation, not actual B12 status.

In addition to B1, you might check biotin, too.

I take a ton of biotin and B12 suplements. I am not
sure about my b1. I have had so many blood tests done, it's hard to keep track

I had a few months where I felt good in comparison to the worst days that I have had. But by no means, back to normal. It was good in the sense that I was actually able to do some yoga. Usually I can't do any physical activity. ‍♀️

The "remission" wasn't a full in remission. Just enough where I was able to handle some light yoga. But it slowly happened. And then just like that, it was gone!

Wow! Your bp is so low! Hair loss, low blood pressure, memory problems, ongoing pain and fatigue...—I can't believe some people out there still think this isn't a physiological issue, but psychological! How can depression/anxiety ever cause this?! It's madness!

I'm still baffled how symptoms can change overnight as in my case. When you describe feeling good, you actually have months of remission? How does it happen? Does it happen gradually or spontaneously from one day to the other? I've been dealing with this for years and haven't had a reprieve, except for some random day or two each month, in the last 4 months. My symptoms totally reverse on those days. It's weird!