• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Regarding Folate, DHFR and MTHFR

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker on here for a while and had a question regarding folate.

I had a blood test recently which showed that my folate was under the range it should be. After discovering this I requested to see the results of previous blood tests I had done (I live in scotland and you are only actually shown results if either something was wrong or you request them) and since 2015 I apparently have had a slight deficiency but since my other bloods were okay nothing was said to me.

Well my deficiency now is more more pronounced, however I don't have any of the classic signs like the red toungue or anemia.

According to my 23andme results i also ordered recently I have a compound homogeneous mutation in mthfr plus another hetero mutation in the other main mthfr snp plus SEVERAL mutations in my dhfr gene.

I must be honest I got a little excited when I found all of this out as I hoped I had finally found the answer to my elusive crippling brain fog/low mood and post exertional fatigue. I would say i'm only a very mild case of CFS however it seems to be getting worse, the mental side of things being the most severe.

But how could I possibly have been deficient all this time and not have the main symptoms of folate deficiency? My MCV count is totally fine. Is it possible to be deficient and just mainly experience the more mental symptoms? Am i on a wild goose chase?

One last point to make is that I am highly suspicious I have SIBO also, but doctors where I live seem to have never heard of the thing and I don't want to seem like some hypochondriac chasing made up conditions so I just left it.

Any advice or answers would be much appreciated, thanks.

Learner1

Is it possible to be deficient and just mainly experience the more mental symptoms? Am i on a wild goose chase?
Yes. No.

My child had a serious mental illness before we identified similar genetic and nutrient issues and is completely fine now. Also, too little (or too much) folate over time can promote cancer, so worth getting it right.

You are wise to do something about this. It would be helpful to know about your digestion and your status of other nutrients, like B6, B2, methionine, glycine, magnesium, etc.

Genova Diagnostics has a test called NutrEval which is available in the U.K. their website has a sample test. It gives info on what you should take to rectify issues. Its not perfect, but a good place to start. Their GI Effects stool test is also useful.

Yes. No.

My child had a serious mental illness before we identified similar genetic and nutrient issues and is completely fine now. Also, too little (or too much) folate over time can promote cancer, so worth getting it right.

You are wise to do something about this. It would be helpful to know about your digestion and your status of other nutrients, like B6, B2, methionine, glycine, magnesium, etc.

Genova Diagnostics has a test called NutrEval which is available in the U.K. their website has a sample test. It gives info on what you should take to rectify issues. Its not perfect, but a good place to start. Their GI Effects stool test is also useful.

Thanks, from the look of it that tests a lot of things i've been wanting to have tested. Bit expensive though but i'll probably get it done once I look more into it. Does is take actual serum readings of vitamins too or just urine metabolites?

Learner1

In my area, they have a Pre-Pay program which brings my cost down to $159 US, with my insurance paying for part. I spoke with a rep and she said they had some sort of program in the UK, so you might contact them and ask.

It uses both blood and urine.