• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long does it take a Ribose dose to become ATP?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I've cut the dose from 15g/day to 5g/day because of cost (i'm looking into cheaper alternatives but prefer them to be from name brand companies).
I've noticed the reduced energy and stamina, took a couple weeks though these have been rough weeks for me overdoing it plus other supplement changes so not a very clear cut cause/relationship finding.
I am wondering if i need to do something how far in advance should i take an extra teaspoon to help get me through it, i've googled it but not come up with much except that when beginning Ribose therapy expect 2 weeks to see results (for heart failure). Also i've seen no evidence that one should divide doses at all except everyone says do it but no reference to it making any difference or where the recommendation comes from (except probably parroting where they got their ribose information).
I know Dr Myhill says 3x a day but again where does that come from? I can't tell any difference but again i've burned myself so i can't really say

Thanks for any insights.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Excellent question, Alvin. I wish I knew the answer.
You have tried to find the answer online someplace? And is there any phone number on the container, to call and try to see if they would answer that? I hope someone else will have a more helpful reply than this one.

Alvin2

Excellent question, Alvin. I wish I knew the answer.
You have tried to find the answer online someplace? And is there any phone number on the container, to call and try to see if they would answer that? I hope someone else will have a more helpful reply than this one.
I've done some google searching, though my mental functioning is not great at the moment.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Neither is mine, or i definitely would search, for you!
And for the answer, because it is an excellent and interesting question.

Maybe someone else, either knows, or has a bit of mental function to share, today. :)

I always took d-ribose 15-30 min prior to an exertion (or immediately after realizing I may have over exerted) as a means to feed muscles bypassing glucose? I'd take it before leaving for work, given the walking required for transit - those days seem so far away now.

So I would expect that the reduced dose would be noticed quickly.

Hip

How long does it take a Ribose dose to become ATP?

According to the Myhill, Booth and McLaren-Howard theory of what causes PEM, PEM is due to ATP molecules being lost (ultimately broken down to AMP which is dumped in the urine), and the duration of PEM relates to the time it takes the body to rebuild new ATP molecules from scratch. Once the body rebuilds its ATP molecules, then PEM is over, according to the theory.

D-ribose helps speed up the rebuilding of new ATP molecules, but even with ribose it is still a slow process (which is why PEM can last for many days or weeks).

Alvin2

I found this
https://newrootsherbal.com/pamphlets/D-Ribose (HP0294) P0257.pdf
Which says it will replenish in as little as 12 hours. Why does it take so long to start working when you first start it or why it seems to not be as effective in preventing PEM as it would suggest are questions i cannot answer, but doesn't at all prove they are wrong.
I wonder if this is related to why creatine needs a loading phase or takes longer to kick in if started at maintenance dose?

I always took d-ribose 15-30 min prior to an exertion (or immediately after realizing I may have over exerted) as a means to feed muscles bypassing glucose? I'd take it before leaving for work, given the walking required for transit - those days seem so far away now.

So I would expect that the reduced dose would be noticed quickly.
Took about a week or two but i have also made other changes and blew myself out so hard to be sure, too much on the go right now :bang-head:

According to the Myhill, Booth and McLaren-Howard theory of what causes PEM, PEM is due to ATP molecules being lost (ultimately broken down to AMP which is dumped in the urine), and the duration of PEM relates to the time it takes the body to rebuild new ATP molecules from scratch. Once the body rebuilds its ATP molecules, then PEM is over, according to the theory.

D-ribose helps speed up the rebuilding of new ATP molecules, but even with ribose it is still a slow process (which is why PEM can last for many days or weeks).
I personally don't agree, PEM is not immediate (though exhaustion often is), it can take days or i've had up to a week before it hit me. I suspect its the ME/CFS disease mechanism readjusting us (downward) after overdoing it. Though i can understand how they came to this conclusion, though Dr Davis said something that supports my theory in that ME/CFS may be from constant crashing perpetuating the condition (i forget the exact words).
Also as noted above 12 hours which would not explain why i still get delayed PEM though i was getting less at 15g/day
Thats my current theory/thoughts anyways, could easily be wrong or superseded

I don't know the answer to the main question but in terms of cost:

The lowest cost Ribose I've found is Swanson Vitamins during their Buy One Get One sales.
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-pure-ribose-powder-300-grams-10-6-oz-pwdr

It's Bioenergy Ribose so it should be the same as Corvalen but much less expensive when on sale.
I'm in Canada, i've searched every website/seller i can find here and the only cheaper one is a no name unknown origin product for about half the price on amazon.ca. Most amazon.com sellers and companies won't ship Ribose to Canada (i've checked) plus the exchange rate is not good but next i will look into international sources to see if i can get legitimate brands for cheaper. Crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

Hip

I personally don't agree, PEM is not immediate (though exhaustion often is), it can take days or i've had up to a week before it hit me.

I appreciate the point you are making about needing to explain the delayed arrival of PEM (of up to several days); it's not clear to me however whether this delay is a show-stopper or not, as far as their PEM theory is concerned. It's possible their theory might be able to explain it (although I am not sure how).

Shoshana

Northern USA
I am thinking... (with no verification or proof at all) that perhaps there are so many factors going on in our bodies, at all times, that the time and the degree, of a response to any stimuli could vary,
including then, how long or even if, the ribose takes effect, on any specific time we take it. So perhaps , things in our body do not react as consistently as we logically think or as we wish, yet they could still be Very helpful, to possibly varying degrees, at some times and less or more so, at other times.

Just my ideas and thoughts. Have no idea if they are valid or not, on this.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Alvin2 - I started taking d-ribose in 2005. As I recall, I noticed the effects rather quickly, I think within a day or 2. I was moving at the time, and was very surprised (and glad) to find I had more stamina and energy. It didn't take 2 weeks to notice a difference. So I think you would notice a difference rather quickly when cutting your dose.

As to why take it 3 times a day, I don't know the reasoning. Perhaps our bodies can only process so much at a time.

Re PEM, unfortunately, d-ribose has never seemed to help with my recovery. It seems like it should, according to Myhill, Booth and McClaren's theory, but it doesn't. However, branched chain amino acids when taken daily have cut my PEM recovery time in half, though they don't increase my endurance or energy (as far as I know).

Did you check out these products on Amazon? I've taken both of them, they're both good, and quite a bit cheaper than Swanson's. https://smile.amazon.com/BulkSupple...&qid=1502491968&sr=1-4&keywords=d-ribose&th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/WellBodyNa...=UTF8&qid=1502492479&sr=1-5&keywords=d-ribose

I know you're concerned about "no-name" products, but I think Amazon reviews are generally a pretty good indication of the quality of a product.

btw, @lakesarecool , I've bought from Swansons for years and years and never saw their d-ribose on the 2-for-1 sale - maybe I missed it .... actually the things I needed the most (d-ribose, l-theanine) were never on 2-for-1 sales.

Alvin2

I started taking d-ribose in 2005. As I recall, I noticed the effects rather quickly, I think within a day or 2. I was moving at the time, and was very surprised (and glad) to find I had more stamina and energy. It didn't take 2 weeks to notice a difference. So I think you would notice a difference rather quickly when cutting your dose.
I noticed a difference in a week but after two weeks i noticed more difference, However i am on other stuff which was changed and my activity levels have been crazy unpredictable (and bad)

As to why take it 3 times a day, I don't know the reasoning. Perhaps our bodies can only process so much at a time.
Thats a reasonable theory

Re PEM, unfortunately, d-ribose has never seemed to help with my recovery. It seems like it should, according to Myhill, Booth and McClaren's theory, but it doesn't. However, branched chain amino acids when taken daily have cut my PEM recovery time in half, though they don't increase my endurance or energy (as far as I know).
I noticed that too, it does not aid recovery appreciably (which is more possible evidence that they are wrong) but it does give more energy
I will have to try some BCAAs

Did you check out these products on Amazon? I've taken both of them, they're both good, and quite a bit cheaper than Swanson's. https://smile.amazon.com/BulkSupple...&qid=1502491968&sr=1-4&keywords=d-ribose&th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/WellBodyNa...=UTF8&qid=1502492479&sr=1-5&keywords=d-ribose
Neither of these ship to Canada

I know you're concerned about "no-name" products, but I think Amazon reviews are generally a pretty good indication of the quality of a product.
If it has lead or other adulterants how would reviewers know, how many customers would be able to measure it or could go to the expense?

Last edited:

Oberon

btw, @lakesarecool , I've bought from Swansons for years and years and never saw their d-ribose on the 2-for-1 sale - maybe I missed it .... actually the things I needed the most (d-ribose, l-theanine) were never on 2-for-1 sales.

I bought it on two for one about three years ago, but it's completely possible they've stopped doing it since then.