• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do I have it or Not?

herpesbaby

It all started with extreme dizziness, sleepiness, and low grade fever and a headache on April 19, 2017. So exactly 12 weeks ago.
14 weeks ago I had a one night stand and ended up contracting genital herpes that did not bother me at all 'downstairs'. I accidentally noticed a bump on May 21st. Doctor said it's genital herpes.
I first thought because it's the initial outbreak of herpes, that's why I'm feeling crappy. But this is not going away.
As per doctor's suggestion I took acyclovir from May 22nd, it did not do anything. So on June 26 I've started valtrex. Kinda feel better now, or maybe I convinced myself.
I do not exercise, I have no power to do it, so I would not know if I have post-exercise malaise.
On May 17th I drank alcohol, immediately my head hurt really bad, and I don't know if it's a coincidence or what, but my eyes don't feel fully awake since then.
I also took immunovir for couple of weeks as per doctor's suggestion.
I have a chest pain, fatigue, sleepiness, headache.

Do I need to force myself to exercise to find out if I'll be sicker next day?
I still work 40 hours a week because I need money. It's a desk work.
I'm 29 years old female.

I was never active in terms of sports. I took antibiotics for bronchitis from smoking from 2010 to 2015. Quit smoking in 2015 and bronchitis stopped. I also had tetanus jabs done. Had some antibiotics- allergies. Had Major stress first weekend I got sick.

Can genital herpes turn into CFS? Does genital herpes feels like this?

herpesbaby

Also, I take shuttle to and from work that requires me to walk 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins back home. I feel drained, I hate it. I've been forcing myself to do it because I've been constipated ever since sick... Should I stop those walks? Should I drive instead?

Valentijn

Also, I take shuttle to and from work that requires me to walk 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins back home. I feel drained, I hate it.
If it makes you sicker and weaker, don't do it.

I've been forcing myself to do it because I've been constipated ever since sick...
Have you tried magnesium? Magnesium oxide seems to be the best for remedying constipation, but sometimes it's too much and results in diarrhea instead. Other forms of magnesium are better absorbed and can help with muscle twitches, etc.

lafarfelue

It's been 14wks. You may be experiencing a (post contraction) viral fatigue. I'm unsure of the numbers but recovery over 6-9mths is not uncommon.

Do your best to pace yourself for as long as possible. Stressing your body more by exercising would be a bad idea.

The problem with ME/CFS 'diagnosis' is that it's basically a category that we get lumped into because we have so many similar symptoms. In that sense, you can only 'have' ME/CFS once a bunch of other stuff (which have the same symptoms) are eliminated. It takes 6mths of fatigue and a few other symptoms, and elimination testing to confirm the 'diagnosis' of ME/CFS.

Take care, be kind to your body, see what measures you can take to allow it to rest and heal/adjust.

Gijs

Have you been tested on all other STD's? Like hepatitis b and c, hiv etc... Normally herpes gets better but if you have a lot of stress it makes it worse. I think you must rest, take a lot of vitamines like C and go see your doctor. Best wishes...

herpesbaby

Thank you for replies guys. I did get tested for all stds. Everything is negative. @Gijs After contracting genital herpes, I did not know about if for 7 weeks, and for 7 weeks all I ate was peanut butter white bread chocolate and redbull. I was depressed and stupid. I think that's why herpes multiplied in blood and is taking forever...

@lafarfelue I did get tested virtually for everything. Did MRI of the brain too. My doctor said it's Post Viral Fatigue, it was a diagnosis of exclusion. I'm taking high doses of Valtrex just in case... I am scared.

herpesbaby

According to my own theory, because all I ate was food that multiplies the herpes, it lightly went to my spinal cord or brain thus the symptoms of sleepiness and tiredness.

boolybooly

Sorry to hear you are not feeling so good.

IMHO its a bit early to say if its ME CFS yet. One question, have you had previous EBV?

I have the perspective of an ME CFIDS diagnosis linked to recurrent HSV2 since 1986, it came, went and came back repeatedly. Still does regularly. It was part of a bigger change which saw me lose energy and eventually resulted in a zombie like state. It was also accompanied by markedly raised allergies in the summer of the following year and subsequent years.

Took ten years to get a diagnosis. In retrospect I think these symptoms are all linked as one syndrome and it corresponds with the TH2 shift theory for ME CFS. We still dont know what causes ME but I feel intuitively that prior EBV probably played a part in mine in combination with the HSV2 which definitely triggered it.

I am now in a situation where I seem to get lots of viruses recurrently including head cold type viruses as well as regular HSV2. So something has gone wrong with my immune system but it is too early to say if that is what has happened to you.

The best counter to HSV2 I have found is Lysine mega-dosing. i.e. about 1000mg a day which helps but doesnt stop it entirely and it doesn't relieve ME and post exertion malaise etc.

The best solution to constipation I have found is daily tablespoon size doses of linseed and cutting out refined carb.

I had a period of recovery after about a year but I was over active and stressed and then reacted badly to tea and to a lesser extent coffee in a way which pushed me off the deep end and lead to downward spirals of mental hyperactivity and physical overactivity and ME post exertion malaise. So do not make the mistake of pushing yourself through health crashes.

Also watch out for hyper reaction to caffeine... if you have the same syndrome, which is a big if and I also heard of a similar reaction with ginger for one person. Let us know how it goes. Hope you are not one of us :)

Please get tested for HSV1, HSV2, EBV, CMV, and HHV6. Don't take no for an answer.

My initial HSV1 infection at age 62 was kicking my a$$, and might have lead to reactivation of EBV and HHV6. HHV6 requires a different antiviral than HSV and EBV.

Reach out to @Hip , he is quite knowledgeable about potential treatments.

The good news is that it seems like an actual treatment for HSV is coming soon.

ljimbo423

I took antibiotics for bronchitis from smoking from 2010 to 2015.

Hi @herpesbaby - I believe my cfs started from many, many, courses of antibiotics. I am making good progress reversing the damage caused to my digestive tract by the antibiotics and feel much better!

May I suggest that you look into "dysbiosis" and "leaky gut". It's taken me 10 years to figure this out, but better late to the party, than miss it altogether.:)

Jim

StarChild56

@herpesbaby I am sorry for all you are going through and hoping you are feeling better, that you got relief and that you are not one of us (as PP said). Also, PPs gave great advice which is why I love this board. (I'm very new)

@pcmenten - may I ask if you have any further information about what you said re: an actual treatment for HSV coming soon? For 1/2?