• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stanford/OMF Community Symposium and ME/CFS research in the news! (Palo Alto Online)

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi guys,

Excellent new article out!

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news...hlights-new-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-research

Ron Davis.jpg

Enjoy. Read 'Rituximab' as 'monoclonal antibody' of course. Something lost in translation.

B

Last edited:
Maybe cut some of the text from the first post, news articles like these only get coverage if there is interest. They will more than likely count no. of visitors to the site. The more visitors the higher the chance of future coverage.

alex3619

Seems like just yesterday Francis Collins was telling us we were a research priority. :(
The stated reason appears to be general and not ME or CFS related, though we do not know all the details. The NIH is probably expecting a funding cut and looking to slash costs. They do not seem to realize that cheaper technology means research progresses faster. Slashing this particular funding might put a brake on research in a wide range of diseases, not just ME or CFS.

Of course this does not rule out that it is ME related in some way, the politics is murky.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I didn't know they already tried Rituximab on Whitney and it failed :cry:

Seems like just yesterday Francis Collins was telling us we were a research priority. :(
This is exactly why i said in the other thread a while back that their admitting ME/CFS is a terrible physical disease meant nothing till the money was in Dr Davis' possession. Counting chickens before they hatch is a fools errand.

I wonder if there is any word on the funding they applied for earlier this year, or does that make months or years to get an answer?

Nickster

This is such hit and disappointing that NIH pulled its funding. However, this symposium is getting the word out that Ron means business and maybe just maybe this will bring awareness and it may lead to obtaining private funding and/or money from NIH.
We need to continue to bring this information out into the publics eye and make people aware of what is going on.
Anything is possible.

Daisymay

This is such hit and disappointing that NIH pulled its funding. However, this symposium is getting the word out that Ron means business and maybe just maybe this will bring awareness and it may lead to obtaining private funding and/or money from NIH.
We need to continue to bring this information out into the publics eye and make people aware of what is going on.
Anything is possible.

Oh heavens, that is just so awful and after 27 years. Can someone please clarify, is this the whole of RD's lab closed or part? Unbelievable...

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
The stated reason appears to be general and not ME or CFS related, though we do not know all the details. The NIH is probably expecting a funding cut and looking to slash costs. They do not seem to realize that cheaper technology means research progresses faster. Slashing this particular funding might put a brake on research in a wide range of diseases, not just ME or CFS.

Of course this does not rule out that it is ME related in some way, the politics is murky.
It wasn't about slashing funding. The grant that was terminated was a Center Grant. Technically it is a P01 grant. It was funded by NHGRI (National human genome research institute). It's the only P01 grant they awarded to a Center, and the only one with only 1 PI. It was first awarded in 1990. Ron has always been the PI. It was not discontinued because of a shift towards more basic research. For the past decade The center has been developing new technologies that could reduce the cost of healthcare dramatically. . Ron was told by NIH that the grant was terminated because reducing the cost of healthcare is not a priority of NIH. It was terminated in spite of a very good score. The good score made it so it would've been funded. But NIH officials intervened and decided to terminate it in spite of its score.

And no, OMF does not receive any NIH money.