• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unrest Kickstarter has gone live - share, donate (even the smallest amount!)

lafarfelue

The Unrest team have just launched the Kickstarter for Unrest film!

The Kickstarter campaign aims to fund the launch of Unrest and bring it to medical schools, labs, foundations, halls of government, and communities around the world.

Find the Unrest Kickstarter here.

If you can share this as widely as possible, it will increase the amount of funding that Unrest will receive.

If you can pledge even $1, the Kickstarter algorithm will make the Unrest campaign more and more visible the more people who pledge. The more activity on the campaign, the larger it will grow.

Please please please share this on Facebook (Kickstarter campaign launch announcement on Facebook here). Please ask everyone to donate ONE dollar (or more!), and to share this themselves if they can.

Here is a plain link to the Unrest Kickstarter campaign page (if you want or need to copy and paste to share the love!): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/959776320/time-for-unrest

Here is a plain link to the Facebook announcement about the Unrest Kickstarter campaign (if you want or need to copy and paste to share the love!): https://www.facebook.com/unrestfilm/posts/942799495857784

MEPatient345

This is such an ambitious campaign and rollout.. if the money is raised, it could be our best hope at raising the profile for ME in years. Imagine it being shown in hundreds and thousands of research institutions and medical universities globally?

I shared my story of watching Unrest on the Tumblr that their team has set up. It is in moderation but wanted to share here too. If you have seen the film and can post about it, please add to the tumblr.
https://timeforunrest.tumblr.com/
=======

I watched Unrest with my mother, who is my caregiver. For both of us, it was a very emotional experience seeing other patients and their caregivers in their bedrooms around the world, having many of the same conversations that we have had like "how do we live like this? How do we adjust to this new reality? Where is the medical help?".

We are all isolated, but this film gave me a feeling of connection and of hope. My mother, who is not an internet user, was especially effected, as she doesn't talk to other patients or other caregivers online the way that I do. Here was the experience she'd been living for 4 years on screen in all its painful glory. We both cried and hugged each other at the end, feeling all the grief of the past few years wash over us.

This film is an opportunity to tell our stories to the world, to finally engage with a new generation of young doctors and researchers about ME. It's almost more vital to fund this impact campaign than it is to fund research -- because if more people know about ME, are diagnosed, are talking about it, demanding answers -- the research and funding will come. Please support this campaign.

lafarfelue

@Silencio Yes! It's so important for these exact reasons! Sending love and support to you and your mother :heart:

I honestly think that it's an achievable campaign, it just needs ongoing and consistent messaging and sharing. The Unrest team seem very much up to that. I'm sure that those of us who are capable of sharing this have the patience to play the 'long game' and keep spruiking this for another 22 days :D:thumbsup:

Let's keep this going! :star:

Jesse2233

This is such an ambitious campaign and rollout.. if the money is raised, it could be our best hope at raising the profile for ME in years. Imagine it being shown in hundreds and thousands of research institutions and medical universities globally?

I hadn't thought of it like that but you're totally right

Just donated!

lafarfelue

I'll provide milestone updates about the film's Kickstarter campaign along the way. I hope you'll follow along. This is exciting!

They've passed 25% of their funding goal in the first 2 days! (Facebook post here.)

20604739_943412982463102_7709936062130435038_n.png

AndyPR

The campaign is in trouble, according to Kicktraq it's bringing in less money each day since it's been live (see attached image)

Please share this campaign so as many people can see it and contribute as possible
I wouldn't necessarily say it's in trouble yet, it's achieved 42% of its pretty ambitious (in my opinion) goal in 5 days after all. But it does still need an average of $3000 per day for the rest of the time left so it will need extra and repeated coverage to hopefully achieve the target. Personally, I think the combination of a short timeframe and very high, for our community, target has created the challenge in the first place, hopefully though it'll be achieved.

charles shepherd

The MEA is working with Jen Brea and the UK production team on a number of initiatives aimed at the public, health professionals and politicians

With regard to parliamentary awareness, we are looking at options for holding a screening and discussion of the film at Westminster for MPs and members of the House of Lords

CS

trishrhymes

The MEA is working with Jen Brea and the UK production team on a number of initiatives aimed at the public, health professionals and politicians

With regard to parliamentary awareness, we are looking at options for holding a screening and discussion of the film at Westminster for MPs and members of the House of Lords

CS

Excellent, very worthwhile, thank you.

lafarfelue

@charles shepherd that's fantastic news. I hope it all goes without a hitch and is well received.

I'd really like to do something like this in Australia, but I worry that as our one ME/CFS advocate politician has just resigned, it might be difficult to get a foot in the door. I've been thinking on it, and seeing this has provided new resolve. Thank you from all the way over the larger pond, as well.

lafarfelue

It's doing so well! It's such a great team.

I just saw it tonight. It was incredible! Jen Brea is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I cried less than I thought I would (but maybe because I'm conscious of staying within my energy envelope and being able to get home after a late night!) There was definitely lots of sniffling throughout the audience. So many touching moments :star:

(Heheh, @AndyPR, I was trying to wait on posting a funding update for when it hit 50%! :p:rofl:)

lafarfelue

The campaign has hit just a bit over 50% with another 17 days yet to go. That's halfway funded after 6 days!

upload_2017-8-9_12-25-24.png

Imagine physicians, medical institutes, not-for-profits and government officials (who make so many of the decisions that affect our care and wellbeing!) having access to this.

This film is an opportunity to tell our stories to the world, to finally engage with a new generation of young doctors and researchers about ME. It's almost more vital to fund this impact campaign than it is to fund research -- because if more people know about ME, are diagnosed, are talking about it, demanding answers -- the research and funding will come. Please support this campaign.
[bolding by me]

Again, share this if you can, talk about it, pledge the smallest amount available. This tide is turning :globe::moneybag::star:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/959776320/time-for-unrest

trishrhymes

CS

I have been reading some of the comments on another thread suggesting that the film is not particularly suitable as an educational tool because, while it shows the devastating effects of severe ME, it doesn't make it very clear whether it is a physical or mental illness or give any insight into biomedical research - I may be misquoting.

I wonder whether, if the film is to be shown to doctors and politicians, it needs to be coupled with one or more of the talks from the IiME conference, say David Tuller on PACE and Ron Davis on biomedical research, or from the OMF meeting on Saturday which will be available on You Tube or DVD also.

We need a clear educational message, not just a moving experience, valuable thought that might be. Perhaps excerpts from the film along with educational talks would be more productive.

wdb

It's a excellent cause no question but some of those rewards are stingy, people who donate $50 don't even get to watch a stream of the movie they just get deleted scenes.

lafarfelue

We need a clear educational message, not just a moving experience, valuable thought that might be. Perhaps excerpts from the film along with educational talks would be more productive.

I believe that this is the intent of Jen Brea's overarching project of bringing it to all these different groups. She spoke about this during the Q&A after I saw Unrest this week. A Time For Unrest campaign is the next step.

trishrhymes

It's a excellent cause no question but some of those rewards are stingy, people who donate $50 don't even get to watch a stream of the movie they just get deleted scenes.

I guess it depends on one's perspective. For me, I was delighted to get a few goodies I hadn't expected.

I went into the site just expecting to give a donation, not to be offered anything in return. The offers were a bonus.

wdb

I guess it depends on one's perspective. For me, I was delighted to get a few goodies I hadn't expected.

I went into the site just expecting to give a donation, not to be offered anything in return. The offers were a bonus.
That is true, for me it was well I'm curious to see this film so maybe I'll donate ~$20, guess I'll wait and hope I can stream it when it is on PBS.

lafarfelue

A recent update from the Unrest team (Facebook link here):

"The fourth and final core goal for our #TimeforUnrest social impact campaign is to inspire new scientists to the research field and encourage a concentration of work around ME from new scientists and funders.

This goal is an essential part of our impact campaign ecosystem: even with building awareness of ME, forging alliances with ME allies, leveraging key advocacy opportunities, and fostering dialogue with the medical community for comprehensive and compassionate care, we need massive increases in funding and widespread, active research for ME. We plan to screen Unrest for scientists and bring the film and campaign to scientific conferences around the globe.

All around the world, ME is one of the least funded diseases. In the U.S., we spend roughly $2,500 per AIDS patient, $250 per MS patient, and just $5 per year per ME patient. Through the #TimeforUnrest impact campaign, we hope to energize scientists and funders to invest in developing systems for faster diagnosis, advanced treatment options, and ultimately a cure for ME. Please help us reach our goal by donating or spreading the word: www.timeforunrest.org

Thank you all!"

The Kickstarter campaign is at $62,099 funding with 12 days to go.

upload_2017-8-14_9-32-19.png