• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phil Parker Ltd on Pain

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
Lightning Process charlatan Phil Parker-Ltd is on Facebook making "scientific claims" about his wares. All you've got to do is get rid of your false beliefs. If you still have pain afterwards, it's your fault, you are not doing the LP correctly

https://www.facebook.com/philparker.author/posts/1399066120209018

Phil Parker.JPG

The video he claims endorses his work is here

Last edited:

Jenny TipsforME

I quite like the video. Not at all convinced it supports LP. Also not at all convinced that pwme should be 'brave' about trying new activities regardless of pain. But for something like chronic back pain it might be appropriate.

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Hmmmm I am seriously in two minds about this video. It seems to be a way of telling people that they have let little pains get to them, and that if they are just brave enough to move more that their pain beast will be tamed.

Perhaps this might work for a few people, but I think this could be an excuse for medics not to properly investigate pains. Seriously, why would evolution ever allow pointless pain?

Jenny TipsforME

In terms of evolutionary speculation, it might be that it makes people more cautious and therefore more likely to survive? It's a bit different, but there appears to be genetics to pain threshold (my DNA says I likely have a high pain threshold, I'd hate to have ME or fibromyalgia with a genetically low threshold :nervous:).

I think it is something which should be explored very tentatively. There is a danger that it will encourage doctor laziness yes. It could be used as an excuse for patient blaming or not doing tests.

Of all the symptoms pain does seem to be more related to emotions/thoughts though (than other symptoms, though this doesn't mean this it isn't also objective or that this is the main problem). It is to do with interpretation being particularly important and also the geography of the brain. I can't remember how to explain this:thumbdown:

Jenny TipsforME

Found an explanation I've previously written:

My understanding is that this is related to the limbic involvement in pain (emotional reaction is intrinsically built into pain processes). It is very tricky to explain all this succinctly and this activity is causing me a headache ;):ill: (for a detailed explanation see this link about the Neurophysiology of pain). Probably the relevant point (for the purposes of this post) is that pain perception is influenced by messages moving up from the site of injury/inflammation to the brain AND from descending inhibitory effects from the brain to the site of injury/inflammation.

“It is thought that the descending inhibition system is designed to allow an individual to partially or completely ignore noxious stimuli, for example to allow the individual to run away from immediate danger, and, if an animal has survived an immediate danger, to allow it to undertake other activities important for survival, such as finding food, rather than responding further to pain.” (Neurophysiologyand B322.2.w2)

This is interesting to us for two opposing reasons. Firstly, we can utilise psychological tools to turn down our perception of pain when it is becoming unbearable. Secondly, we can remember to ‘tune in’ to our bodies to check whether we are ignoring pain signals which are trying to say something useful, like pointing out the need to rest.

Jenny TipsforME

This interpretation actually comes from a different perspective. It isn't saying that the Chronic pain is nonbiological it is saying that even though inflammation objectively exists, our brain has inbuilt painkiller tools which we can use.

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Yes... I think ignoring pain for a short term reason is well known. We all have less pain when adrenalin strikes, or indeed when doing something engaging. However this is not a long term solution, and won't help the pained person to rest when pain gets too great. Distraction techniques are fine, but I worry something like this will be used to deny pain meds when required.

Jenny TipsforME

This animation isn't nearly as cute but it is more credible I think. I'm the one distracting myself from pain through activity, which is an absolutely terrible technique when you have ME :rofl:

I can sometimes combine successful pain meditation with resting, but it is definitely hit and miss and I'm much more inclined towards distraction.