• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The i covers PACE/fart-gate

Stewart

A couple of extracts...

‘You’re a disgusting old fart neoliberal hypocrite’ – scientists in furious row over ME study

A furious row has erupted between scientists after a medical journal dedicated its entire August edition to ripping apart a “deeply flawed” £5m taxpayer-funded study investigating treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

The dispute led to three editors at the Journal of Health Psychology (JHP), who are all scientists, resigning. Professor George Davey Smith resigned before this month’s issue of the journal, which criticised the “extraordinary sum” of the study, was published. It is unsure how long the clinical epidemiologist, based at Bristol University, had been on the board for before leaving his post.

In a post on his blog, Professor Coyne wrote: “There was a last ditch attempt to block publication of the special issue by a powerful but unknown PACE trial advocate… A weaselly coward suggested papers weren’t properly peer reviewed and that the special issue should therefore not be published. That of course was nonsense.”

He said threats were made to Sage Publications, the publisher of Journal of Health Psychology, which expressed a reluctance to go forward as planned.

“As often happens with these kind of pressures, we weren’t told the identity of the complainant. It was clear that whoever s/he was, this person was powerful in being able to grind to a halt of making the special issue available, complete with the introductory editorial that was not previously available,” Professor Coyne wrote.

More at the link above...

Last edited:

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
Davey-Smith-960x540.jpg

Seven7

Seven
Question:
For news paper to publish the quote that the PACE was being used to cut disability payments. They just have some prove ( or they would not
Publish that part).
Also, is this really all it is about? Money? Why all the PACE charade ?

For all the plp they need to pay off to keep the charade doenst Seam like good math or business. What am I missing?

ebethc

@Demepivo aka Dolores Abernathy

as a side note: we are all dolores abernathy.... Best CFS forum avatar ever...

for those who don't watch Westworld, D.A is an android who's perpetually tortured, murdered then resurrected... many, many times over... not unlike a CFS push/crash cycle