• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone has more trouble sleeping in summer ?

Dechi

For a good 3-4 weeks, maybe more, I haven't been getting more than 5-7 hours of sleep per day. Some times less. It takes me about 1.5-2 hours to fall asleep, I wake up often and I have insomnia sometimes as well, for 2-3 hours.

I feel tired but wired 24/7, which means I can't sleep during the day either. My body isn't asking to sleep.

I've been sick for about 3 years, and so far I notice a trend. I am worse in the months of september to june, especially with the cognitive issues, but I sleep more, around 10-12 hours per day, and I sleep during the day. I have less symptoms during the months of july to september, but I can't sleep much...

I should mention it has nothing to do with the heat, since I have air conditioning. Imwonder if vitamin D from the sun is the reason ?

How weird is that ? Anyone else has this strange pattern ?

Last edited:

Wonko

I would have thought everyone would have had more trouble both getting to sleep and staying asleep in the summer, I pretty much always have.

ATM it's cool here (18-25C daytime) so I am getting maybe 6 hours a night, taking 2+ hours to drop off, waking an average of 2 times a night. When it's hotter I get maybe 2-3 hours sleep on a good night. When it's cold, and I'm warm enough, I sleep 10+ hours a night.

Depending on meds/supplements I may frequently fall asleep during the day for 5-30 minutes a time or I may not.

The amount of sleep I get can impact me mood, physically cognitively but I find it's not the duration but the quality of sleep that's important - and too much can be as bad as not enough. I do however find that most days I feel as if at least another hour or 3 would be helpful, and on the rare occasions this happens it normally is.

Dechi

@Wonko I have air conditioning so I am lucky it's not too hot. I go outside to get some sun maybe 15 minutes at a time, then come back in the house.

Unfortunately I also have hot flashes on and off all day and night, which is incredibly annoying !

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I should mention it has nothing to do with the heat, since I have air conditioning. Imwonder if vitamin D from the sun is the reason ?

I sleep much better with significant sun exposure, so much so that it sounds odd to say I am experiencing improvement while feeling so tired in the evenings afterwards.

I can't find the link now, and I'm going to bed (It's that time this side of the planet), but Sunlight exposure does more for us than just Vitamin D. It is so weird to realize that we are Photosynthetic creatures, not unlike plants. :)

arewenearlythereyet

My wired feeling in the summer seems to be a combination of poor heat control and reaction to pollen. I've got a problem with high histamine generally so I guess the pollen just tips me over the edge. I'm trialling SAMe since methionine is supposed to be involved in the breakdown of histamine. This seems to have improved the problems in the day and I've also upped my topical magnesium which seems to have improved sleep problems somewhat.

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
I actually sleep better in the summer. I think its because the heat causes my body to produce more cortisol, and as its flatlined low for over ten years, the little boost really helps - but evidently, taxes the adrenals further eventually :(