• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DMSO - Mycotoxins entering tissues?

I have been applying some DMSO liquid mixed with Iodine to an injury of mine and it has done wonders so far. DMSO basically helps to carry the Iodine through the skin and into the tissues.

I was wondering though, what if you applied the mixture inside a moldy building? Could mycotoxins that would be circulating in the air attach to the DMSO liquid and pass through the skin as well?

Almost all buildings have mycotoxins in the air though, even hospitals, so I guess I am overthinking this?

Carl

You should be very careful using DMSO. On the skin when I have used it I made sure to thoroughly wash the skin and then sterilize it before applying the DMSO using something which was also sterile ie not a finger. This is because it can carry any of the bacteria on the skin into the body and who knows what they may be, some could be very dangerous and some less so. Scratch somewhere with a nasty bacteria and then use your finger and that bacteria could end up inside your body.

IreneF

You should be very careful using DMSO. On the skin when I have used it I made sure to thoroughly wash the skin and then sterilize it before applying the DMSO using something which was also sterile ie not a finger. This is because it can carry any of the bacteria on the skin into the body and who knows what they may be, some could be very dangerous and some less so. Scratch somewhere with a nasty bacteria and then use your finger and that bacteria could end up inside your body.
DMSO is a good solvent but it can't transport bacteria. It's sometimes used for transdermal drug delivery because it can dissolve some drugs and penetrate skin. Bacteria are too big to penetrate skin unless your skin is already damaged. Otherwise we would be a walking mass of infected tissue.