• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice to recover from crash

kelly8

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone will have some recovery advice. I have not yet been diagnosed but have had symptoms of CFS for almost 10 years following a childhood of mysterious illnesses and a bout in my early adulthood that left me floored. Normally I crash after pushing myself too hard with physical work.

Yesterday I crashed from sitting with a my cousins girlfriend and kids too long. My cousin passed away last week and I was trying to be there for his girlfriend and their kids. Originally I was only going to stay for a couple hours but she really needed someone there. I have been dealing with a flare up this whole last week involving really painful mouth ulcers and nausea, pain, fatigue. Now I've got the crash too. I'm not sure how to function never mind going to work or taking care of my son. I can barely do anything without collapsing on the floor.

I'm in so much pain. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help with recovery? I'm already taking a lot of supplements including b vitamins, vitamin d and c, inflammation herbs, ect. I've been loosely following Dr Amy yaskos protocol with some moderations. I also have MCAS and an adrenal tumor which they say is "non functional". So they don't think that is why I'm so exhausted. Any suggestions or thoughts to help with recovery would be most appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
My condolences on your cousin passing away.
You can be sure we all feel for you with regards to being in a crash. There are no tried and true methods for recovery. My only suggestion that might offer a little relief is to ensure that you are keeping your electrolyte levels up and if you have MCAS that you are taking something for that. Many of us here take antihistamines daily year round.

Hope you begin to feel better soon.

kelly8

You can be sure we all feel for you with regards to being in a crash. There are no tried and true methods for recovery. My only suggestion that might offer a little relief is to ensure that you are keeping your electrolyte levels up and if you have MCAS that you are taking something for that. Many of us here take antihistamines daily year round.
Thank you for your response @Snowdrop ! I also have MCAS and am on antihistamines morning and night. I'm wondering if I could take something additionally leading into a flare up. Does anyone else here with MCAS add to their regime when they feel a flare up or crash coming?

Seven7

Seven
my go To's:
1) Increase sleep hours, absolutely not alarm let body sleep as long as it wants (naps whenever it wants to)
2) Pedylaite or any electrolyte drink one liter a day.
3) Any energy supplement increase if already on it like coQ10 (i can up to 1200mg a day divided).
4) b12 under tongue.
5) Cold showers, definitely not hot water, not sun or anything that vassodilate (I have POTs).
6) Avoid noise and unnecessary body stress (feet up, avoid stairs and any unnecessary movement).
7) Clean diet and snack on energy packed meals (not hard to work on ) Apples tire me out so stuff like blueberries...

kelly8

go To's:
1) Increase sleep hours, absolutely not alarm let body sleep as long as it wants (naps whenever it wants to)
2) Pedylaite or any electrolyte drink one liter a day.
3) Any energy supplement increase if already on it like coQ10 (i can up to 1200mg a day divided).
4) b12 under tongue.
5) Cold showers, definitely not hot water, not sun or anything that vassodilate (I have POTs).
6) Avoid noise and unnecessary body stress (feet up, avoid stairs and any unnecessary movement).
7) Clean diet and snack on energy packed meals (not hard to work on ) Apples tire me out so stuff like blueberries...
@Inester7 thank you for this info! I've got a 2 year old so I'm going to work on the extra rest. I'll be working the other suggestions in for sure. I'm hoping this shortens this thing.

dreamydays

Thank you for your response @Snowdrop ! I also have MCAS and am on antihistamines morning and night. I'm wondering if I could take something additionally leading into a flare up. Does anyone else here with MCAS add to their regime when they feel a flare up or crash coming?
Montelukast is very helpful for MCAS, also do you take a H2 antihistamine? The best is cimetidine which has other effects which can be very powerful for crash recovery aside from MCAS (Mtor activating and T-cell boosting)

Last edited:

kelly8

Montelukast is very helpful for MCAS, also do you take a H2 antihistamine? The best is cimetidine which has other effects which can be very powerful for crash recovery aside from MCAS (Mtor activating and T-cell boosting)
Interesting @adamtomlinson ... my Dr has me on lorridadine (I know my spelling is awful) and ranitidine. I was given montelukast to have an mri with dye done. I still have some but the directions say to take as needed. Would a crash be considered as needed? My gi Dr doesn't really tell me anything about the MCAS which is really frustrating.

dreamydays

I would say that if the crash is related to MCAS then montelukast would definitely be worth trying. Cimetidine is stronger than ranitidine and has a unique property in relation to activating Mtor, which helps a subgroup of people independent of MCAS. The only downside to cimetidine is that it crosses the blood-brain barrier more than ranitidine so can cause mild side effects eg. headache in some people. I find ranitidine good but cimetidine much better, everyone is different however. Also I find fexofenadine superior to loratadine.

Outside of MCAS, you could try high dose Thiamin (1500-2000mg) and Nicotinamide Riboside (250-400mg) as energy boosters.

Last edited:

kelly8

@adamtomlinson : thank you for this info! I'm already taking thiamin. I'll look into the others. I'm glad other people have the info on MCAS. My gastro Dr basically just told me I had it and gave me medication and didn't say anything else. It's been really frustrating. I'm glad there are others here who have info!