• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A high-fat diet is associated with endotoxemia originating from the gut

adreno

PR activist
Endotoxemia, and LPS in the bloodstream, has been postulated as implicated in ME/CFS. It seems a high fat diet can exacerbate leaky gut and endotoxemia:

Abstract
Endotoxemia, characterized by an excess of circulating bacterial wall lipopolysaccharide, is associated with systemic inflammation and the metabolic syndrome. Placing 8 healthy subjects on a Western-style diet for 1 month induced a 71% increase in plasma levels of endotoxin activity (endotoxemia), whereas a prudent-style diet reduced levels by 31%. The Western-style diet might, therefore, contribute to endotoxemia by causing changes in gastrointestinal barrier function or the composition of the microbiota. Endotoxemia might also develop in individuals with gastrointestinal barrier impairment. Therapeutic reagents that reduce endotoxemia might reduce systemic inflammation in patients with gastrointestinal diseases or metabolic syndrome.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22326433

adreno

PR activist
are they referring to high saturated fat, or any type of fat?

They say "typical american diet" so I'm guessing saturated
Yes, the "Western-style diet" was higher in saturated fat. This can be seen in the full text:

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(12)00158-8/fulltext

Another study similarly found saturated fat to be the worst:
Results
Postprandial serum endotoxin concentrations were increased after a meal rich in saturated fatty acids and decreased with higher n-3 PUFA intake. Compared to the no oil control, fish oil and CLO which are rich in n-3 fatty acids reduced ex vivo endotoxin Papp by 50% (P < 0.05). Contrarily, saturated fatty acids increased the Papp by 60% (P = 0.008). Olive and vegetable oils did not alter intestinal endotoxin Papp.
https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-10-6

ebethc

Yes, the "Western-style diet" was higher in saturated fat. This can be seen in the full text:

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(12)00158-8/fulltext

Another study similarly found saturated fat to be the worst:

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-10-6

small sample size... only 8 subjects... I guess the sad reality is that if there's no big drug money to be made, there's no budget for testing... Interesting, though, and I totally believe this is relevant to me personally... saturated fat is hard for me to process

alicec

Why single out saturated fat as the culprit? What about the other differences - eg, just at a glance, without delving into detail - the "prudent" diet contained more than twice as much fibre. Maybe this had a beneficial effect?

NelliePledge

What about excess sugar and hydrogenated fat, processed meat in a western style diet. What type of sat fat and carbs were they eating. Couldn't see anything about what they were actually eating other than the split between carbs protein and fat.

ebethc

What about excess sugar and hydrogenated fat, processed meat in a western style diet. What type of sat fat and carbs were they eating. Couldn't see anything about what they were actually eating other than the split between carbs protein and fat.

yeah..I had the same thought... However, the saturated fat part is interesting... W the low sample, it's more directional data than conclusive, IMO... Would love to see more.

adreno

PR activist
Why single out saturated fat as the culprit? What about the other differences - eg, just at a glance, without delving into detail - the "prudent" diet contained more than twice as much fibre. Maybe this had a beneficial effect?
Everything is of course complex when it comes to diets. However, there are several studies that show increased endotoxemia after hyperlipidic intakes. There are probably other variables, like fiber intake etc, that affects the extent of this. You are going to have to do your own digging if you want to know more. A more comprehensive discussion is available here:
https://www.ocl-journal.org/articles/ocl/pdf/2016/03/ocl160009-s.pdf

alicec

However, there are several studies that show increased endotoxemia after hyperlipidic intakes. There are probably other variables, like fiber intake etc, that affects the extent of this.

I had a vague recollection that I had read something exactly relevant to this question when I posted yesterday, but couldn't quite dredge up the reference.

Here it is.

It is not so much the high fat intake which is important in provoking endotoxemia, but the context in which it occurs - namely the abundance of certain gut bacteria such as Bifidobacterium.

In this respect, variation in dietary fibre between the two groups being compared is a significant confounding factor in interpretation of the results.

adreno

PR activist
It is not so much the high fat intake which is important in provoking endotoxemia, but the context in which it occurs - namely the abundance of certain gut bacteria such as Bifidobacterium.

In this respect, variation in dietary fibre between the two groups being compared is a significant confounding factor in interpretation of the results.
It is good to know that bifidobacteria can mitigate the endotoxemia from high fat meals. However, there are still concerns. How many of us have a fully functional gut microbiome, with plenty of bifidobacteria? How many do compose their meals to always include prebiotic fibers that target bifidobacteria?

While no one is saying that fat should be avoided, I must say it is likely prudent to utilize a low to normal fat diet with plenty of fibers. There is certainly a lot of paleo advocacy out there touting the benefits of gobbling down coconut oil and what have you, which might not be the best for ME/CFS.

alicec

It is good to know that bifidobacteria can mitigate the endotoxemia from high fat meals. However, there are still concerns. How many of us have a fully functional gut microbiome, with plenty of bifidobacteria? How many do compose their meals to always include prebiotic fibers that target bifidobacteria?

Such considerations might be a wake-up call to pay more attention to the gut and make a serious effort to improve it.

My point is that the study attributes the blame to saturated fat and so joins a plethora of studies which condemn fat on dubious grounds. They don't tell the whole story.

The whole fat literature is so fraught and so lacking in good unconfounded studies that I long ago came to my own conclusions about what to do about dietary fat.

Quality is far more important than quantity, and in any case, the latter is very much an individual thing. Some people will do better on less fat, some need more.

Avoid processed foods and damaged fats, never heat polyunsaturated oils, eat a range of natural fat-containing foods and find your own level of fat intake.

I don't go out of my way to eat fat but I don't restrict it either. I have naturally gravitated to a moderate fat intake.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
is there a blood test for endotoxemia (elevated serum LPS)?
This one?

Soluble CD14 serum level
CD14 is expressed in monocytes/macrophages and has a critical role in the recognition of bacterial cell wall components (LPS). The extracellular part of CD14 can be cleaved and released in the plasma. There it will inactivate circulating LPS. Serum soluble CD14 levels are significantly elevated in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and Crohn's disease. In patients suffering from Brucellosis or Lyme disease these levels are significantly elevated too
.http://www.redlabs.com/ifa

ebethc

what are the prebiotics that increase bifidobacteria?

adreno

PR activist
what are the prebiotics that increase bifidobacteria?
I don't think any normal person knows which fibers support which bacteria. The best advice that can be given is probably to include a range of fibers from different sources in your diet, to increase diversity. That is, if you have any/much of the needed bacteria left in your gut.

ljimbo423

The problem with potato starch (and many other prebiotics) is that they also target a lot of bacteria that we don't want increased. I've seen many reports by PwME not tolerating prebiotics. The thing is if you already have severe dysbiosis, prebiotics is of limited use.

I think that makes good sense. I avoid prebiotics for that very reason. There seems to conflicting advice on whether they help or hurt, when one has serious dysbiosis. Most of the diets recommended for SIBO/dysbiosis like the gaps diet, specific carb diet etc, have very little if any prebiotics in them.

I have found in treating dysbiosis in the last 4 months or so, a big relief in symptoms and I have been avoiding prebiotics like a plague. I'm afraid I could undo weeks or months of work in a very short time frame. As long as I continue to improve prebiotics are off the table.:D

Jim