• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I once wore a wetsuit. To get it off, I hung on to the doorframe of a pickup while someone else pulled it off. Never wanted to do that again.
I used to put on a wetsuit for winter snorkeling and shell hunting, but, yes, getting it on and off took most of the energy I had reserved for gentle paddling! It was so nice just to slowly paddle along but then it really wasn't worth it when I discovered that the Environmental Protection Agency facility a block away was feeding sharks there every day!

IreneF

I used to put on a wetsuit for winter snorkeling and shell hunting, but, yes, getting it on and off took most of the energy I had reserved for gentle paddling! It was so nice just to slowly paddle along but then it really wasn't worth it when I discovered that the Environmental Protection Agency facility a block away was feeding sharks there every day!
Why was the EPA feeding sharks?

JaimeS

How do you guys about hiding the black bags under your eyes due to poor quality sleep and general fatigue? I look like an opiate addict sometimes.

Urban Decay Primer Potion

And on top of that,

Bare Minerals Foundation

Also, I find that if you lighten the inner corner with a white eye pencil or take a small amount of bright, shiny powder and do inner corner, it really brightens up your eyes and you look more awake.

Skycloud

I've never worn Spanx, but I once wore a wetsuit. To get it off, I hung on to the doorframe of a pickup while someone else pulled it off. Never wanted to do that again.
I used to wear a wetsuit for caving. This brought back memories of contorting on a muddy roadside in the freezing horizontal rain whilst trying to remove my wetsuit but not my knickers :rofl:

I'm trying to make an effort with my appearance more, hope this thread helps.

Revel

How do you guys about hiding the black bags under your eyes due to poor quality sleep and general fatigue? I look like an opiate addict sometimes.

I don't have "bags", but do have horrendous dark under eye circles. I use a colour corrector, such as 'BECCA Under Eye Brightening Corrector', beneath my concealer. Nothing hides the issue completely but it helps.

There are cosmetic under eye skin tightening products that you could apply prior to concealing makeup if you have "bags" and dark circles (which I believe should be treated as two separate issues in spite of marketing ads claiming that their items perform miracles by fixing eye bags, puffiness, dark circles, wrinkles, etc, all at once - colour me sceptical :rolleyes:).

erin

Under eye bags, :depressed: tried every thing green tea bags, cooling ice pads natural stuff, cosmetics....

Mac fast response eye cream is most effective with any kind of light and this under eye primer applied immediately after. MAc product flattens the puffiness any light primer hides the circles. For few hours at least.

tudiemoore

The effort of concealing anything seems too time-consuming since I am always dashing around late--that ADD--and no sense of time passing! However, I know it would just be the final touch to erase all indicators of 3 hours of sleep, collapsed on the sofa whenever I'm at home, eating mostly junk food-- currently obsession Gummy Bears--but....

Just to get me started--have any of you found a concealer that stays on for a decent amount of time? And doesn't ball up on top of--hate to say this "creases" ?
The brightening-eye-by-using-something-in-corners thing has got to be a winner but, again, something that stays?

Tell all, Women of PR!

Revel

@tudiemoore, unfortunately, ample sleep and a healthy diet have never made the slightest impact on my dark circles, so concealer needs to be industrial strength for me to even bother with it!

My two concealer favourites are Doll 10's 'Conceal it' and IT Cosmetic's 'Bye Bye Under Eye'.

As Doris, the founder of Doll 10, says "My concealer will hide a third arm if necessary!". :p

JaimeS

The effort of concealing anything seems too time-consuming since I am always dashing around late--that ADD--and no sense of time passing! However, I know it would just be the final touch to erase all indicators of 3 hours of sleep, collapsed on the sofa whenever I'm at home, eating mostly junk food-- currently obsession Gummy Bears--but....

Just to get me started--have any of you found a concealer that stays on for a decent amount of time? And doesn't ball up on top of--hate to say this "creases" ?
The brightening-eye-by-using-something-in-corners thing has got to be a winner but, again, something that stays?

Tell all, Women of PR!

The Primer Potion ensures anything stays. that's the beauty of it.

tudiemoore

Thank you, thank you! I'm thrilled that y'all have gathered all the info and "all" I have to do is get with it! I'm not kidding; I can't wait to work on this!
But watch out--with this and my upcoming appointment (after six months) with my hairdresser, who knows?

When I called for an appointment we exchanged some catch-up info and she ended the conversation with "Well. come on in; we'll get you all dolled up!"

Skycloud

Hi all, I've had a revelation this week, Don't know if it's relevant to anyone else.

I've been frustrated recently over my clothes because its a very long time since I bought any and everything was falling apart or very tired and depressing. Or I was too fat. Even online shopping can be difficult, but I've just bought new trousers, tops and nightwear. My old holey yoga pants are in the bin. Yay!

This thread gave me the resolve to just do it.

At the same time I had a light bulb moment and ordered some full briefs from M&S (Marks and Spencers UK). I've had this bug bear where when I shift position in bed my knickers often end up in the wrong place and are uncomfortable. This would seem silly to well people but using energy to sort knickers is all I need. I'm hoping it doesn't seem silly to anyone here. Anyway - enormous knickers have solved that problem and i can't think why it's taken me so long, it's silly.

edit to add - I've just realised that I've made only 2 posts on this thread and both mention knickers.

perchance dreamer

I hope your new knickers do the trick, @Skycloud. There's nothing worse than feeling like your underwear is biting you.

I have a tale of underwear (well, hosiery) woe. I went to an out-of-town family wedding last year, and when I got dressed, I realized I had bought medium pantyhose instead of tall. The crotch ended several inches short of my true crotch, so I had to fight the urge to take mincing little steps all night.

I don't believe in an afterlife, but if I am wrong and there really is one, I hope we won't have to deal with underwear in it.

erin

Ah I just don't wear any knickers anymore. Passed caring and truly a mad woman now.

It's too hot where I am and I wear harem pants mostly knee high. Sometimes long ones, especially at night.

Or very long baggy maxi dresses, no one knows or see whether I have knickers on.

And bras.... Hate them. But I wear very thin fabric on top, t-shirts etc. I have to wear a bra. Otherwise it's really looks beyond ugly. So I found this very short boob tube thing like t-shirt bra, tan colour. Fantastic, you can wear under anty kind of shirt or t-shirt. No straps.

https://en.penti.com/ten-nu-basic-straplez-sutyen-zidPLSEAMSS11IY-TEN

Skycloud

not mad at all @erin , knickerless may be the future!

I wear baggy everything just about, and like yoga pants/joggers because it doesn't get that hot in the UK usually.

Your boobtube bra looks so comfy! wish I didn't need more scaffolding than that. I've lost the will to live over bra buying in the past. I've found a good compromise for me by increasing my band measurement in Royce bras. It works.

Daffodil

I tried Bigen for the first time yesterday. I think it has a little PDD but no ammonia or peroxide. It turned my greys blondish which still looks a little grey against the black hair...but still better than before. In the past, I had my hair dyed very rarely - maybe once every few years - at a Salon. I just didn't care at all what I looked like but now, at age 46, I am starting to think I better care a little more.

I am not 100% sure but I think some hair fell out today that shouldnt have...so next time, I would like to try another dye. I was thinking of Naturtint, Herbatint, or maybe Light Mountain (which i think is totally chemical-free). It looks like I will have to do this very often because these colors probably won't last long and I wash with (medicated) shampoo every other day. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

I see someone posted about Logona hair dye..this is the first I have heard of that one..looks promising.

xoxo