• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR with normal Figlu on NutrEval

I am compound heterozygous MTHFR.

My NutrEval shows normal Figlu (folate levels, right?)
Does that mean I do not have a methylation issue? Or that the MTHFR is not expressing itself?

Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I am compound heterozygous MTHFR.

My NutrEval shows normal Figlu (folate levels, right?)
Does that mean I do not have a methylation issue? Or that the MTHFR is not expressing itself?
It just means that one type of active folate is normal. Being heterozygous for one MTHFR SNP doesn't necessarily mean that it will give you trouble--it just means to be on the alert, take active folate instead of folic acid. Methylation involves more than folate. Look at your NutrEval for Methylmalonate--this is a marker for active B12--the other most important factor in methylation.

Edit: and most importantly, look at your glutathione levels.

It just means that one type of active folate is normal. Being heterozygous for one MTHFR SNP doesn't necessarily mean that it will give you trouble--it just means to be on the alert, take active folate instead of folic acid. Methylation involves more than folate. Look at your NutrEval for Methylmalonate--this is a marker for active B12--the other most important factor in methylation.

Thanks, Sushi.
A practitioner I just consulted with looked at the Figlu and since it was normal, said the MTHFr is not an issue.... But I wanted to get more feedback on that.

My MMA is 1.5 on a range up to 1.9. Showing in the yellow/borderline area. Yet the first page overview said I am in high need for B12. I am so confused! (My recent serum B12 level was normal and a couple years ago, it was off the charts high while taking 1,000 mg methyl B12 lozenges daily. As a result, I was advised to stop taking the B12 despite being vegan. However I now think it is not getting into my cells.

I am sorry as I don't know where to post things on here!
Where should I post my NutrEval results to get opinions?

Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My MMA is 1.5 on a range up to 1.9. Showing in the yellow/borderline area. Yet the first page overview said I am in high need for B12. I am so confused!
If you have adequate active B12, MMA should be close to zero. Higher values, show greater deficiencies.
(My recent serum B12 level was normal and a couple years ago, it was off the charts high while taking 1,000 mg methyl B12 lozenges daily. As a result, I was advised to stop taking the B12 despite being vegan. However I now think it is not getting into my cells.
Serum B12 is usually a pretty meaningless test as it tests total B12--much of which is not bio-available. MMA is a much better test and according to this test, you are deficient.
Where should I post my NutrEval results to get opinions?
You can post it under methylation or under lab tests. Do look at your glutathione results though, as that an extremely important value in methylation.

Thank you for your explanation! It is confusing when it is in "the green". I appreciate your help.

Any thoughts on how to get the B12 into my cells?

I do have 3 ++ FUT2, and several MTR/MTRR SNPs plus compound heterozygous MTHFR... all which I think can affect B12. SO much to learn!

Edited to add: I was advised by a practitioner to stop taking B12 and take tocotrienols to get the B12 from my blood into my cells. Does anyone have any feedback on that??

Maybe I need a different form of B12? I just can't solve this mystery!

Valentijn

COMT rs6269 GG ++ (Live Wello)
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+ (listed as -/- on Live Wello?)
VDR Fok rs2228570 AA ff (
Amy Yasko Methylation Pathway Analysis)
MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
These aren't really involved in methylation. Yasko believes they're important in determining response to methyl units in supplements, but there's nothing to support that, and it's frequently contradicted by patient reports. As an example of Yasko's quackery, she reports a VDR SNP backwards regarding risk, resulting in literally everyone having a supposed VDR problem. And that MAOA SNP isn't capable of doing anything.

MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+
This might have a large impact on methylB12 recycling.

MTRR A664A rs1802059 AA +/+
BHMT- 02 rs567754 TT +/+
BHMT - 08 rs651852 TT +/+

CBS ? rs4920037 AG +- (LiveWello)
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-
These do little or nothing.

FUT2 rs492602 ++ (Live Wello)
FUT2 rs601338 ++
FUT2 rs602662 ++
These have identical prevalence rates in various samples, so they are basically just one SNP having an impact. rs601338 is probably the relevant one, since it's a stop-gain mutation, prematurely terminating the gene product (assuming your genotype is AA). But it's extremely common, especially in Europeans, and while it results in lower B12 levels, it's a pretty minor change in levels, which wouldn't cause a deficiency, though might provide a minor contribution to a deficiency.

Valentinjin,

So if the MTRR may be the cause of not using the B12 properly, what is one to do? I saw the info about buildin gup lithium levels first. Your thoughts?
Thanks!