• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural supplements to lower Uric Acid

Peyt

Hi,
Can anyone please recommend any natural supplements that can lower Uric Acid effectively?
I had heard that Magnesium Citrate is able to do that, but not sure.
Thanks so much.

Peyt

I have tried Taurine and unfortunately it always gives me headaches... I have a feeling its because I am hypoglycemic and Taurine does something to the insulin which is great for diabetics but not hypoglycemics.

Eastman

I get the headache from taurine too. I had assumed that it was from vasodilation.

I'm still trying to raise my taurine dosage very gradually and hope that the body will adjust over time.

Gondwanaland

Dou you have gout symptoms? Joint pain? Or just elevated blood results?

When I had gout symptoms silymarin is what worked best for me. It increases endogenous glutathione production and helps lots of systems (incl. adrenals).

Learner1

My doctor tells me to lower my daily protein intake on food.
From the link I posted above:

Most clinicians recommend that people with gout, and those with high uric acid reduce or eliminate purine-containing foods. The primary sources of dietary purines are:
  • Red meat: beef, pork, lamb, buffalo
  • Organ meat: liver, kidney, sweatbreads
  • Fatty fish like sardines, herring, anchovy, mackerel
  • Coffee
  • Vegetables like: spinach, mushrooms, artichokes, asparagus, peas
  • Brewer's yeast
  • Oats
However, eliminating purine-rich foods doesn't address the real issue. Additionally, dietary sources of purines actually play very little role in purine biosynthesis.

Purines are nucleic acid bases, the macromolecules of our DNA and RNA. Purines are synthesized as a result of folate and methionine methylation reactions. The human body synthesizes its own purines regardless of the consumption of purine-containing foods.

Elevations in uric acid, >5.0 mg/dl are reflective of rising levels of inflammatory activity and have little if anything to do with dietary purines. Uric acid can also rise in response to mycotoxicosis, and may also be elevated with GI inflammation.

Seven7

Seven
I should of add my high levels come from Inmunovir use (inmune modulator), so the lower food just help.

Peyt

Dou you have gout symptoms? Joint pain? Or just elevated blood results?

When I had gout symptoms silymarin is what worked best for me. It increases endogenous glutathione production and helps lots of systems (incl. adrenals).

No I never had gout because my Uric Acid was not that high(but it was higher than normal)
Well, let me be more specific, When I said I have Hypoglycemia it's because I didn't want to make it too complicated but what I really have is called Glycogen Storage Disease :

On minute 1:45 of this video you can see the 5 things that happen as a result of this GSD:
1. Hypoglycemia
2. Hematomegaly -Enlarged Liver - (I have a ultra sound showing I have mild fatty liver and mild enlarged)
3. Lactic Acidosis - I have
4. Hyperlipidemia(High bad Cholesterol) I have
5. Hyperuricemia (high uric acid) I have- Showed on test as 7.9 (normal 2.6 - 7.2mg)

and Looking back at all
my lab test results in the last 3 years I have all 5....The only thing is each lab is from a different doctor, another words none of the Doctors that I went to tested me for all 5 issues at once to put the whole puzzle together. I discovered this on my own! I am planning to go to a doctor that specializes in this disease. But they are very rare to find and most of the doctors that specialize in this specialize in the form that is more serious and develop in full force at birth where as mine is the milder version that has developed as an adult and is getting worst and worst.

Anyways, the reason I said this is because some people suggested lowering the Protein intake and that's not possible with this problem.... I need lots of Protein and veggies and less carbs ... So I need to deal with this Uric Acid somehow , but luckily the Uric Acid build up is not so high that it causes gout although I heard if the problem is not attended to it will eventually get that bad as the person gets older and older.

fireflymd

Hi,
Can anyone please recommend any natural supplements that can lower Uric Acid effectively?
Thanks so much.

I have read that high amounts of fructose can also lead to elevated uric acid.

For me, eating a lot of Greek yogurt can bring on gout, presumably from the xanthine oxidase activity in dairy.

Baicalin is a supplement that can decrease uric acid:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28445133

fireflymd

xploit316

I know
Hi,
Thanks so much.

Hi Peyt, I know this is an old post but where you able to lower your uric acid? If so can you please share how?

Frunobulax

I know
Hi Peyt, I know this is an old post but where you able to lower your uric acid? If so can you please share how?

Uric acid comes from fructose (mostly), see this video by Robert Lustig. Glucose converts to fructose via the polyol pathway for patients with hyperinsulinemia (that is, pretty much anyone on a high carb diet). Thus all carbs will increase uric acid. Glycogen storage disease might exacarbate this process, I'm not sure.

Going on a ketogenic diet should reduce uric acid fairly reliably, after an initial phase where uric acid can go up (especially if you are losing weight with the diet). If you're taking any medication for t2d (to reduce glucose) you'll have to discuss this with your doctors. The expected result from a keto transition is that you can drop the medication, if you continue to take it you might go into a hypoglycemic state.

Another reason for uric acid are high oxalates (this site is good). Magnesium citrate and calcium citrate help to bring down oxalates in your body. Potassium citrate and collagen are supposed to lower uric acid too. I could dig out some studies if you want more information.

Keto + low oxalate diet seem to work for me, I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago... I had some gout attacks a few years ago and have some hard-to-describe tingly sensations preceding those attacks, possibly due to uric acid crystals forming in my joints. More importantly those sensations correlate with high UA levels in my blood. As UA wouldn't go down after some months of keto, I did research and went low oxalate with generous amounts of magnesium citrate and potassium citrate, and the sensations were gone after a week or two. I'll check my UA again in 2 months or so.

xploit316

Uric acid comes from fructose (mostly), see this video by Robert Lustig. Glucose converts to fructose via the polyol pathway for patients with hyperinsulinemia (that is, pretty much anyone on a high carb diet). Thus all carbs will increase uric acid. Glycogen storage disease might exacarbate this process, I'm not sure.

Thank you. Your feedback aligns with what I have been experiencing with fruits and high carbohydrate meals last 2 years. Eliminating fruits and lowering carbs (expecially potassium) for the past 3 weeks has been very helpful . Another thing which has helped me recently is high dose Vitamin D (60K IU taken one tablet per week). I am not sure how it all connects but making these minor changes has been super helpful.