• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help me brainstorm: What else can I do to detox?

Up until March of this year I was feeling way better than I had last year.

In March, I had eaten some smoked meat at a lunch I decided to attend. Within 20 minutes I was completely brainfogged out and felt really crappy - anhedonic, slow, anxious, weak. I felt a rush of whatever the opposite of endorphins would be. I don't know exactly what did it but based on past experiences I imagine it was some kind of synthetic additive used to preserve the smoked meat or flavor it.

The next day I had a droopy right eyelid, a shitty mood, no energy, and a feeling of general lack of blood flow.

After that I did everything and it took a few months to figure out how to improve: antibiotic herbs, liver detoxifying herbs, clays, diatomaceous earth, apple cider vinegar, probiotic foods, red wine, taking castor oil internally, rooibos tea.

I've improved a little bit, but I'm still not at 100%, and my right eyelid is still droopy! How annoying. I was feeling pretty good the months prior to the incident. Also, although last summer I was finally able to tan and sweat again, this summer it's not happening to the same extent!

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to detoxify and get back to where I was?

I will place one constraint: I STRONGLY prefer suggestions that are "naturally occurring." So whole food extract supplements and naturally occurring minerals like clays work well on me, but isolated l-glutathione supplements make me feel like shit - they just don't work for me.

The next two things on my list are spa (sauna, steamroom, cold dips) and acupuncture, to attempt to get rid of toxins and improve blood flow.

Hi @Chieftain, I know this isn't your main question, but I STRONGLY urge you not to do the sauna! This is a recipe for disaster for most PwMEs. Also stay away from the steam room, please! Something about the heat and the vasodilation seems to exacerbate all our symptoms.

Just cos something's feels good for normal people doesn't mean its helpful for us. We're different.

On the other hand, you might get some relief out of the cold dips. I did that for a while when I was having very severe crashes, with a lot of fever and immune symptoms. A cold bath - horrible - gave me relief from the worst symptoms for around 24 hours. So worth the 5 minutes of pain in the bath.

Tammy

and my right eyelid is still droopy
Sounds viral to me..........attacking the nerves...........thus the droop. When I had shingles on the right side of my scalp..........my right eye would feel droopy as well as my mouth although it wasn't visible.

For detoxing purposes......cleaning up the diet is a good place to start. Going low fat for awhile (refering to animal fat........not plant fat) will help the overburdened liver. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits and juices.

Burdock tea, red clover tea are a few off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I STRONGLY urge you not to do the sauna! This is a recipe for disaster for most PwMEs. Also stay away from the steam room, please! Something about the heat and the vasodilation seems to exacerbate all our symptoms.
I think it is individual. I do well both with FIR and steam saunas--in moderation.
On the other hand, you might get some relief out of the cold dips.
While cold dips/baths/swimming, make me feel worse.

Interesting, @Sushi. I guess I don't speak for all. I wonder if others could comment? Especially any who have POTS.