• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Merileir - Ergospirometry (Cardiopulminary) test question ...?

Bansaw

I just come from Himmunitas and Merileir wants me to take the Ergospirometry (Cardiopulmonary Exercise test).
I tried to get this done in England but didnt have time.
I sensed that it would be more expensive in the US where I am now, and it is: $6,000! As opposed to $150 in Europe.
Did you have to take this test, and what CPT code was the test? I've been trying to find out exactly what price and am getting CPT codes quoted at me 93015 and 93017, and these are $10,000 and $6,000 respectively, and I'm not 100% sure of what test I need because tehre are a few CPT codes.

Also, is this test vital?

Thanks, but I am not taking a next visit. I am in the US now, and he's doing a phone consult in a few weeks.
Can you look for a sports clinic, rather than a medical one? They tend to do that sort of testing more routinely, and with less focus on the fancy software and cutting edge equipment that drives up the price.

Thinktank

I just come from Himmunitas and Merileir wants me to take the Ergospirometry (Cardiopulmonary Exercise test).
I tried to get this done in England but didnt have time.
I sensed that it would be more expensive in the US where I am now, and it is: $6,000! As opposed to $150 in Europe.
Did you have to take this test, and what CPT code was the test? I've been trying to find out exactly what price and am getting CPT codes quoted at me 93015 and 93017, and these are $10,000 and $6,000 respectively, and I'm not 100% sure of what test I need because tehre are a few CPT codes.

Also, is this test vital?

What justifies that ridiculous price?

Bansaw

I do have quite good health insurance actually, in fact it paid for all of Meirleir's tests (even in Europe!). But I have an out-patient allowance of $6500 per year, and thats mostly gone already. My co-pay is very high once that $6500 has been depleted.
I am wondering if any other Meirleir patients have ommitted this Ergospirometry, and he's done the diagnosis anyway?

JadeD

Hi Bansaw.

The test only lasted 15 mins or so (I couldn't go on for long due to leg pain). It was just an ecg whilst on an exercise bike with respiratory monitoring. I agree with the above, the high quoted prices must be for more sophisticated tests.

The CPET test is obviously part of his standard work up. I'm sure he can diagnose without it. But it's useful to see how poor your respiratory muscles are (mine are low), and what your aerobic capacity is like plus if there's any underlying cardiac issues which only appear during exertion. He told me it's a useful baseline measure that we won't revisit for another year. Then we can measure improvement over time (hopefully!).

Just explain your situation with KDM during your next consultation.

Helen

I am wondering if any other Meirleir patients have ommitted this Ergospirometry, and he's done the diagnosis anyway?
I have, as I wasn´t able to do the test. I can´t see that it had made any difference in my case.

Yes, it's not necessary for diagnosis. But it is extremely useful for providing documentation of disability, especially if results are bad enough that mere deconditioning isn't a possibility.

unicorn7

I haven't done the ergospirometry, I don't think it makes much of a difference for the treatment. I had one in the past at the sportmedicine department in a normal hospital.
I would never pay those prices:eek::eek: that's insane:jaw-drop: