• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another take on Evan Harris, former LibDem MP

natasa778

natasa778

"He's just a self-publicist," argues Dr Ian Gibson, Labour MP and former chairman of the Commons Science and Technology Committee.

"What he knows about science could be put on the back of a postage stamp."

Whatever you think of Evan's (other) political views and actions, one thing stands: he really knows about science as much as could fit on the back of a stamp (or about as much as the journalist wakefield-hounddog Brian Deer, who Evan keeps close company with).

And how he managed to get a seat on House of Commons Science and Technology Select Committee is anyone's guess...

Scary.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre64647r-us-britain-election-science/

The departure from parliament of Dr Evan Harris, a family doctor and science spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, prompted a string of tributes and immediately sparked an online campaign to get him re-elected.

"We have so few members of parliament who are knowledgeable about science and medicine -- losing any is bad, but losing one with Evan's flair, charm and charisma is a disaster," said Simon Wessely of the Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London.

"Let's hope there is another general election as soon as possible."

helsbells

Off topic - but Fred I do love your avatar (is that what they're called) I've just come upstairs after watching the a Jeremy Brett re-run for the umpteenth time!!

On Topic - I only saw him on TV the other day for first time, he had quite disdainful eyes but that is the only comment I can make.

Machiavelli had the same attributes.

True, Fred, Machiavelli was not noted as a nerdy obsessive sociopath. Weasel can't judge character any better than he can diagnose ME. Or he can, but he's committed to lying about both.

fred

The game is afoot
Off topic - but Fred I do love your avatar (is that what they're called) I've just come upstairs after watching the a Jeremy Brett re-run for the umpteenth time!!

Just for you, a new one: The Sign of Four.

Machiavelli had the same attributes.

So did Jesus.

The Bad Science article someone posted (http://www.badscience.net/2010/05/keep-evan-harris-in-parliament-oxford-west-and-abingdon/) mentioned him being opposed to homeopathy, global warming sceptics, those trying to use their religion to avoid following equality legislation, pro-life and anti-embryonic stem cell campaigners, animal rights groups trying to prevent medical experiments on animals... I agree with him on all of this.

I know a lot of people here are concerned about vaccinations. I don't really know much about it, and certainly think that it's possible that there could be an intentional campaign to downplay the risks of vaccination because the benefits outweigh the costs, but I also think that some of the stories critical of vaccinations have been scare mongering, with little evidence to back up their claims.

I'm instinctively supportive of anyone the Daily Mail describes as 'Dr Death'.

helsbells

I think though positions are becoming polarized into opposing camps, while this might not be terribly helpful I think it is they who are on the offensive and we are simply trying to counter it. I think with this in mind it is understandable that people are mistrustful. I underwent neutralization vaccines for foods which are in themselves a form of homeopathy, albeit a million miles from the Boots OTC stuff, nonethess the prevailing attidude and evidence based mantra played right into the hands of the PCT and despite many attempts from a lovely GP and with the blessing of NHS consultants I got nothing. Nothing new there and self funding treatment is nothing new to us but this persistent rationale is concerning not simply because it seems to fuel this knights quest to villify and sneer at anything that is deemed as quackery but more concerning for me can seemingly actually result in GMC hearings and my already limited choices being curtailed further. I don't disagree with everything he says either, he might for all I know be great but I think people fear that that the balance of power in terms of health care policy is already already tipped against them and I think wanting to know someones agenda, is natural, we all have one afterall.

Best Wishes and kind regards