• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help get US govt funding by watching CFSAC meeting live online Mon May 10

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sorry for the cross-posting but we've been discussing on the CFSAC meeting thread that the US govt counts how many people turn up for meetings and if there's a big attendance, they are more likely to provide funding related to that topic.

We can all help by either going to the meeting in person or by watching it live online. Details about how to do that are on the other thread.

You don't even have to watch the meeting - just set it up to stream live on your computer all day! There are nearly 2,000 of us on this forum - imagine if we all did that. One of the easiest and possibly most effective pieces of advocacy that we can do and those of us overseas can contribute just as easily.

[Mods, I realise you might be tempted to move this back to the original thread but I thought a new thread with the "action" headline was important because it's important to alert people urgently to an advocacy idea rather than just letting them know about an interesting meeting - I hope you'll let this stand!:innocent1:]

usedtobeperkytina

Good idea to set the computer to run if you can't be there. Do you have to be watching from the beginning?

I will be working to write two articles and packing for trip the next day. I had planned to watch it later. But if it helps, I will watch some of it live in between other stuff.

Tina

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Good idea to set the computer to run if you can't be there. Do you have to be watching from the beginning?

That's a good question, Tina - when I watched the last CFSAC meeting I seem to remember Wanda Jones, the chairperson, giving updates on how many people were watching throughout the day - have I imagined that? Or remembered it from something else? Anybody know for sure?

jspotila

That's a good question, Tina - when I watched the last CFSAC meeting I seem to remember Wanda Jones, the chairperson, giving updates on how many people were watching throughout the day - have I imagined that? Or remembered it from something else? Anybody know for sure?

I'm pretty sure you can join in at any point, and the viewing numbers definitely fluctuated during the last meeting.

mezombie

You didn't imagine it. Wanda Jones was definitely keeping tabs on the number of people watching.

Let's show them our numbers!

Remember, you can always play the video in the background and watch when you are able.

And Jennie's correct; you can start playing the live video at any time. So if you miss the beginning, don't worry.

Somehow i missed the url, can someone please post the address? I have 3 computers here at home, do we get counted as 1, or 3 if all 3 computers are playing the video?

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
If you have different IP addresses it should count each one individually. You can look up the IP here:

http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/ip-address-lookup.asp

I am not sure if each of your computers would have a different IP when connected to the same router. My son is the IT geek and is not here for me to ask, but you could simply check by going to that link with each computer and seeing if they have different IPs.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Somehow i missed the url, can someone please post the address? I have 3 computers here at home, do we get counted as 1, or 3 if all 3 computers are playing the video?

Hi Woody - details about how to watch the meeting including the url are in the first message by kdp on this other thread.

Brilliant question about the three computers - I imagine quite a few people might have several in their home. I don't know whether they count but it can't hurt! I would guess each computer would count but I don't know for certain. Anybody?

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
Hi Woody - details about how to watch the meeting including the url are in the first message by kdp on this other thread.

Brilliant question about the three computers - I imagine quite a few people might have several in their home. I don't know whether they count but it can't hurt! I would guess each computer would count but I don't know for certain. Anybody?

Sacha, we posted almost at the same time see my post #10.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I had to go out, though I left the feed running (so I count as present and they give us loads of govt funding!) - I missed the XMRV/blood supply thing. Any news?

oerganix

I had to go out, though I left the feed running (so I count as present and they give us loads of govt funding!) - I missed the XMRV/blood supply thing. Any news?

Not really any news. The gov reps saying we aren't going to do anything until we know more about XMRV. The CFS reps saying, hey, CFS patients are sick with something, whether or not it's XMRV, and should be told not to donate. Klimas saying don't donate...it's not good for us because we often have low blood volume in the first place (I was glad she got that out there). Most of 'our' guys saying tell CFSers not to donate. Gov studies still in the works.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, oerganix - that's interesting that the CFS experts are saying that there's sufficient reason already not to donate, quite apart from XMRV (and I agree with their reasons).

Just to confuse people, I asked the same question on the thread that announced the CFSAC meeting in the first place, since this thread seemed to have gone dead and people were commenting live on that one so there's some discussion over there just now of what was said re XMRV/blood supply. (Sorry for the confusion!)