• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improving or worsening?

I have been sick for almost 15 months.

The past 6 months my crashes has changed. Before they were maybe a bit more mild but lasted much longer (1-3 weeks). Well, mild is maybe the wrong word, but let's say less severe. Now it seems the crash are more intense, BUT pass much faster (sometimes I can be "functional" again in after just 1-2 days). I also seem to be have less frequent crashes. I have not, at least yet, gotten as bad as my first big crash which was more or less consistent for 2 months.

Some symptoms have become less severe, some has left to never return (yet), and some have changed. A few are new ones. I can do more now for an example, like cooking and cleaning, but at the same time I'm more sensitive to vision overload so I can't watch tv for longer periods of time. Before this was strangely not an issue at all even though I had more severe brain fog. I can also read more now even in bad days.

I'm asking because it's hard to grasp and understand this disease and what's good and bad for my body..

Last edited:
Hi, I think you have described my current phase of this illness exactly. Like you I am not sure what the long term outcome will be but I feel that it can only be positive. Less symptoms, quicker recoveries from crashes must be a good sign.

There are still things that I cannot beat yet, in particular, walking. This will be my next goal to increase distances without crashing. I do hope it is a genuine step forward for you and not something to do with the better weather as some have suggested on these forums. Having said all that I am now sitting on my bed trying to aid a speedy recovery after attempting to do a bit of diy in the house.

Dechi

I never could make any sense of my crashes. Severity, length, cause, they often differ without apparent reason. It's one big mystery to me, and I've tried very hard.

@Alexandra90

Have you tried taking a supplement or something? Are you able to sleep a certain number of hours? I think those two things help a lot, I encourage!

I've tried many supplements but without any success unfortunately. A week ago I started supplementing Lithium Orotate (not the medicine) though which seems to work on my mood. Time will tell!

Yesterday I had a crash but today I feel much better. Strange!

My sleep are changing constantly but it's weird because sometimes I get better even though I sleep horribly.

Hi, I think you have described my current phase of this illness exactly. Like you I am not sure what the long term outcome will be but I feel that it can only be positive. Less symptoms, quicker recoveries from crashes must be a good sign.

There are still things that I cannot beat yet, in particular, walking. This will be my next goal to increase distances without crashing. I do hope it is a genuine step forward for you and not something to do with the better weather as some have suggested on these forums. Having said all that I am now sitting on my bed trying to aid a speedy recovery after attempting to do a bit of diy in the house.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

I hope so too! Maybe with time we can actually improve. Fingers crossed. How long have you been ill for?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
We all present a little differently, i only skimmed your first post (brain is online but unable to process much right now) but mine has also changed over the years quite a bit in weird ways

Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

I hope so too! Maybe with time we can actually improve. Fingers crossed. How long have you been ill for?

Difficult to say really. I believe most of my life, now 64 but had a major crash 6 years ago which has led to me being in my current situation.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
My sleep are changing constantly but it's weird because sometimes I get better even though I sleep horribly.

Some people find that they feel better with less sleep for a few days, but then lack of sleep catches up and they feel worse. Sometimes I can get only four hours of sleep and feel better than if I had slept longer. I usually need nine hours of sleep at night.

This is an illness of strange reactions and changes. I have improved mentally over the past few years due to supplements (especially LDN), but have declined physically. It's possible to improve in one area but decline in another, sometimes on a daily basis.

eric_gladiator

I think you have not found something that can help you. My biggest advice is that you rest, you feel comfortable ..