• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

David Tuller needs our help

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Huge fan of David Tuller, but he might like to have a chat with one of his legal friends about how these things work.

The value in writing to the legal counsel is to have a record (now public) of David's attempt to resolve Crawley's accusation.

The non-answer provided by the lawyer - is not unexpected and would have been anticipated - and provides further evidence of the ongoing dismissal of serious concerns over the 'research' and behaviour of Crawley (and by extension, U of Bristol).

From that perspective, David just added another stick that will break the camel's back.

Chrisb

Another possible beneficial effect of the proactive approach taken by Tuller is that the university would now run the risk of looking rather absurd were it to send the "cease and desist" letter which was half expected. They have lost the initiative. The "never retract, never explain, never apologise" approach has its limitations.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
The legal department at Bristol University will have assessed the chances of being sued by David Tuller as close to zero, and decided to have a bit of fun winding him up. They knew when they called him Mr Tuller that he'd rant about it on his blog, and they probably had a good laugh at it in the coffee break.

I've done it myself - I once drafted a writ and added "a married woman" after the defendant's name on the front just to piss her off. "Lawful widow and relict" is another nice option.

I think David Tuller probably knows what he's doing and what to expect too, but he needs to make sure that it's not Bristol University yanking his chain and distracting him into responding to their petty slights.

Starlight

I am definitely going to put a donation in for this last 5000. It is great that it is this close to the goal. It is an awesome task he is taking on. The Bristol arrogance is so typical of the attitude that needs to be shattered. Dr.David Tuller is one brave man and thankfully he landed in our camp.

Post by David Tuller on Facebook
The response from the community to my campaign has been incredible--beyond what I imagined when I launched it a few weeks ago. I’ve been enormously touched and heartened by the donations and comments. I certainly didn’t think I would have to consider what I’d do if I over-shot my goal of $60,000. But yesterday the donations passed $55,000, and that has triggered Erica Verillo’s amazingly generous $5000 matching contribution. I’ve now secured my half-time position for the next 12 months, with 10 days more to go in this campaign. So I need to explain why I hope people continue to donate.

PACE-busting is a big, big job! Basically, more donations will allow me to do more. Over the last year or so, I’ve been asked by many people in many countries—Australia as well as across Europe, in addition to the U.K.--to visit and expose the harms caused by their own domestic PACE/CBT/GET ideological brigades. Since February of 2016, I’ve gone to the UK four times and once to the Netherlands, for research and interviews as well as talks in Amsterdam, Belfast and London. I have travelled as cheaply as possible, crashing with friends and sometimes staying in hostels--I haven’t noticed many others of my advanced age in these dormitory rooms! But the costs have still added up.

In the next 12 months, I hope to go to Australia, because the situation there is awful, and take at least two more times to the U.K. and hopefully to one or more of the other European countries suffering under this terrible burden. In addition to conducting research and interviews, I will seek to arrange talks to both patient groups and professional/academic audiences; these talks, I have seen, are an important means of spreading awareness of what’s gone on. I will budget up to $10,000 for travel—about half for Australia, and the other half for Europe. Any additional funds will be used to extend my Berkeley appointment proportionally beyond next June 30th--for a month, two months, or whatever.

Before the end of the campaign, I am hoping to post another couple of blogs. One is about an 87-year-old retired GP who was patient #234 in the Royal Free outbreak. The second is about an issue I have tip-toed around and finally raised in my Invest in ME talk: Is PACE a case of scientific misconduct? (It’s probably not hard to figure out what my answer will be.)

What else will I be working on over the next year? I plan to smack down the recent Cochrane review, which was able to conclude that GET worked only because of the egregious decision to include PACE and other Oxford criteria studies. I plan to look at the challenges people face in obtaining desperately needed help from government agencies and insurance companies. I plan to examine the PACE investigators’ conflicts of interests, including their intervention in specific cases in which patients have sought benefits. I want to track down other surviving patients from the Royal Free outbreak, and to deconstruct the 1970 paper that reinterpreted that that seminal event as a case of mass hysteria. And so on.

I certainly have my work cut out for me! Even though I have reached my initial ambitious fund-raising goal, every additional contribution will be put towards a single purpose--helping me bust the false PACE/CBT/GET paradigm for good.
https://www.facebook.com/david.tuller.1/posts/10154418937321829

Sean

Yay team! :woot: :balloons: :woot: :balloons: :woot:

:hug: for everybody.

I will keep donating until the end of June.

A more permanent donation fund might be a good idea, so that we don't have to rush it again next year. The only issue with this funding appeal was the short time frame, not the total amount needed.

$5/week = $260/year. If 230 of us can do that then Tuller's basic ongoing funding is covered.

:thumbsup:

A more permanent donation fund might be a good idea, so that we don't have to rush it again next year. The only issue with this funding appeal was the short time frame, not the total amount needed.

David had committed himself to working on this project for a year. I don't think we should make any assumptions about what he is willing to do after that. I hope he can achieve lots of his goals in a year. But I do certainly think it's worth contributing more to the fund so he can travel more etc.

Kalliope

David had committed himself to working on this project for a year. I don't think we should make any assumptions about what he is willing to do after that. I hope he can achieve lots of his goals in a year. But I do certainly think it's worth contributing more to the fund so he can travel more etc.

Tuller wrote himself:
Any additional funds will be used to extend my Berkeley appointment proportionally beyond next June 30th--for a month, two months, or whatever.

So @Sean 's idea is not bad. Now that one year is secured, maybe a prolonged/permanent campaign could add a few extra months.