• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione IV and Nebulized Therapy

JasonUT

Hello,

My doctors and my nutritionist all agree that Glutathione IV's may be beneficial for me. There is a local clinic that does 2100 mg and 2400 mg Glutathione IV's via slow drip bags. I think each Glutathione IV bag takes about 45 minutes. Does anyone have any experience with this approach?

Rich VK talks about Glutathione IV's briefly in this article - Augmenting Glutathione in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) by Rich Van Konynenburg

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Does anyone have any experience with this approach?
I think when you read about patient responses you'll find that it is very individual. Even much smaller doses made me feel horrible. And when I went down to 10 mg with a slow push, I didn't notice any benefit. And, I knew from testing that I was very low in glutathione.

Nickster

My son did this treatment and it did not work well for him. He was having anaphylaxis issues by the time he did his 4th iv treatment. But, each person responds differently. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Helen

It migh be an individual genetic problem due to GST SNP´s ( the glutathione-s-transferase enzyme) that prevents the supplemented glutathione to bind to toxins etcetera. I´m not the person to explain, or express, this in English, but knowledgeable people; researchers and also Rich Van Konynenburg who I actually met and discussed this with, pointed to my GST SNP´s in a detoxification gene test and told that they could give me problems as well.

I think this possibility has been discussed too little here on the forum as it is not only about increasing the glutathione in the body, as it theoretically should be. You also have to have GST enzymes to be able to "make use of" the glutathione in a proper way. Maybe a lack of the GST enzymes could cause severe symptoms from adding high doses of glutathione.

confetti11

I've had glutathione by iv many times. No huge differences. I've noticed more detoxifying affect (I think) from nebulizing glutathione. It's cheaper and easier that way for me too. No trip to a doctor's office.

JasonUT

@Helen

The GST SNP is interesting. It appears I have the following via LiveWellO report. What does this mean?
GSTM1 rs1056806 T CC -/-
GSTM1 rs2239892 G __ NG
GSTM1 rs4147565 A -- NC
GSTM1 rs4147567 G __ NG
GSTP1 rs1138272 T CT +/-
GSTP1 rs1695 G AG +/-
GSTM3 rs7483 T CC -/-

GSTP1 [ +/- ]
Glutathione S-transferases (GSTs) are a family of enzymes that play an important role in detoxification by catalyzing the conjugation of many hydrophobic and electrophilic compounds with reduced glutathione. Based on their biochemical, immunologic, and structural properties, the soluble GSTs are categorized into 4 main classes: alpha, mu, pi, and theta. This GST family member is a polymorphic gene encoding active, functionally different GSTP1 variant proteins that are thought to function in xenobiotic metabolism and play a role in susceptibility to cancer, and other diseases. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]

I have a different Gene SNP interpretation report that shows:
GSTM1 (rs1056806) CC 87.8%
GSTP1 A114V (rs1138272) 1 CT 14.6%
GSTP1 I105V (rs1695) 1 AG 44.0%
GSTs Total 85%
GSTA1 88%
GSTA2 80%
GSTA3 90%
GSTA4 79%
GSTA5 100%
GSTK1 100%
GSTM1 91%
GSTM2 80%
GSTM3 83%
GSTM4 93%
GSTM5 83%
GSTO1 100%
GSTO2 75%
GSTP1 85%
GSTT1 100%
GSTZ1 43%

GSTs include the following classes:
A- (alpha-), P- (pi-), M- (mu-), O- (omega), T- (theta), and Z - (Zeta) These genes encode enzymes that add glutathione to target electrophilic compounds such as therapeutic drugs, environmental toxins, and products of oxidative stress. This action is an important step in detoxification of these compounds. All the GST SNPs can be found in the Gene Report. The eznymes GSTA1, GSTA2, GSTA3, GSTA4, GSTA5, GSTK1, GSTM1, GSTM2, GSTM3, GSTM4, GSTM5, GSTO1, GSTO2, GSTP1, GSTT1, and GSTZ1 can all be found in the Enzyme Report.

GSTA2 (rs1803682) CC 100.0%
GSTA2 (rs60332313) TT 99.9%
GSTA2 (rs2234951) GG 92.8%
GSTA2 (rs142078893) CC 100.0%
GSTA2 (rs2608632) 2 TT 8.8%

The enzyme encoded by GSTA2 plays a role in the detoxification of electrophilic compounds, including environmental toxins, and products of oxidative stress, by conjugation with glutathione. Variations in this gene can change an individual's susceptibility to toxins. The enzyme encoded by GSTA2 also exhibits glutathione peroxidase activity and thereby protects the cells from reactive oxygen species and the products of peroxidation.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Nebulized Glutathione sounds very interesting. Can you recommend any articles on the topic?
I used to nebulize it together with B12. Rich Van K used to comment on this. If you want to do a Google Site Search, you should find something.

Daffodil

@JasonUT my doctor sometimes wants me to do this for a month at a time, twice a week I think. He says to do 600 mg (I think, maybe 800 I cannot remember for sure), which I know is not high at all. The naturopath would often use more.

I did not really notice much of a difference...maybe the tiniest bit more energy. It is supposed to be very good for our illness. I now take Liposomal gluthatione every morning.

xo

Daffodil

@Learner1 this is the second or third time I have heard of molybedenum...does it help you? One doctor I was talking to, says it helps his patients a lot.

confetti11

@JasonUT I'm sorry, I don't know of any articles really. My doctor is an expert of the unusual illnesses and recommended it several years ago. I get it directly from my doctor. I would say I definitely noticed a reaction from it though that I haven't from the IV. I have to do small doses with several days in between.

Daffodil

@ljimbo423 thanks for letting me know. I am going to ask my doc about it. i remember reading something about it allowing the mitochondria to make energy without oxygen?? or something. sorry bad fog

Helen

The GST SNP is interesting. It appears I have the following via LiveWellO report. What does this mean?
I´m sorry but I can´t tell you about your SNP´s and what impact they should have. I was lucky to have experts evaluating mine and telling that there were so many, or significant, that they should affect the detoxification etc. I hope you´ll be able to find that kind of help too.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
6 weeks of glutathione IV's at three a week, plus myers cocktails gave me an incredible few months afterwards - the best I have been in 9 years, However it didn't last and due to MCAS I now react to pretty much everything, plus I had to stay away from home to get them as they are way too expensive here.

Learner1

I take NAC capsules which increases my GST. It's very inexpensive that way; paid $12 for a bottle of 100 capsules. I take one in AM and one in PM.

I don't like getting IVs unless it's an emergency situation.

http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Dikoma_Shungu

http://me-pedia.org/wiki/N-acetylcysteine
It depends on the problem and how toxic/sick you are.

I take 1.5g of NAC a day, along with a bunch of methylation nutrients and do a mitochondrial cocktail + Myers cocktail IV followed glutathione once a week and get IV curcumin when it's an emergency.