• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else improve when angry?

I have noticed that my cognitive ability ( usually severely impaired) improve considerably for a slight amount of time if I get somehow angry.
It has happened three times in a row so I don't think it is a coincidence.

has anyone alse here experienced something similar? Can it be because when you are angry the blood flow to the brain increase, thus compensating an eventual hypoperfusion?

erin

Absolutely! But it takes a lot to get me angry and when I'm angry I get mad!

I suddenly feel a rash of energy, then feel really strong. I'll show them kind of feeling...

But then, a terrible sudden fall. I get so sick I pay that previous energy surge at least 10 times.

It is saddening, ruins my confidence, it's a proof that how vulnerable I am.

I'm trying to find the positive aspect in this..it is possible that this is a signal that our brain is not permanently damaged, because if it was it should not be able to return to function well in any kind of circustamce, no matter how briefly.
Honestly and objectively speaking ( I don't want to be deluded, I prefer to accept an hars truth that to be deluded), do you think that my observation is correct or not?

Dechi

As well as crashing after getting angry, you also feel awful because you've lost it. Adrenalin is like a bad drug I definitely can't handle ! :mad:o_O:ill::ill::ill::ill::ill::depressed:

Since I've gotten ill, I notice I am a lot more irritable, more emotional, but I very rarely get angry, like " yelling " angry. Once I had to be angry and I really had to make an effort to do it and it felt unnatural. Weird. I guess it takes too much energy so my brain is protecting me ! :)

I've often used anger in an emergency over the years to give me a surge of energy if i know its needed only for short term use.

My partner has often joked about deliberately making me angry if there's something i need to get through. It ain't no joke though :mad:

Anger has propelled me up a flight of stairs before. Luckily my bed was near the top of them.

The crash afterwards is horrific though so I use it sparingly like an emergency superhero power :whistle:

Since I've gotten ill, I notice I am a lot more irritable, more emotional, but I very rarely get angry, like " yelling " angry. Once I had to be angry and I really had to make an effort to do it and it felt unnatural. Weird. I guess it takes too much energy so my brain is protecting me ! :)
Yes I'm the same most of the time...trouble is it's not very manly getting choked up over a tom and Jerry cartoon or whatever so I try and keep it under control. I sometimes get these odd surges of anger, almost like something fired off by accident. These are quite infrequent, short lived but powerful when they happen. I tend to keep myself to myself when this happens ...in case I say something I might regret later.

erin

It is a matter of minutes, tens of minutes or hours?
And it lasts for a while even if you have calmed down?

Remember in one occasion it lasted hours, maybe half a day. I was very sick after that I had one of my worst episode started with it.

I'd say maybe half an hour most of the time as a whole, I mean after calming down included.

It doesn't last long. It's a short burst of adrenaline that clears up my sinuses and mind then its back to being fatigued. So unfortunately being angry all the time isn't a good solution lol.