• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do we stop heart disease (Atherosclerosis, Arteriolosclerosis, Arteriosclerosis, calcification)

prioris

Well yes, a disease is much easier to "cure" when it doesn't exist yet. I haven't seen any support for his claims, however, so I don't believe that what he is supposedly curing is diabetes.

he wasn't curing it. he's trying to bring more deeper understanding to exactly what diabetes is. my intuition says he is going down the right path with his thinking.

P.S. anyone got a link to a list of all the dietary approaches there are to reversing diabetes

P.S. anyone got a link to a list of all the dietary approaches there are to reversing diabetes
There's no indication that diabetes mellitus is reversible. Diet can control blood sugar levels, but if a diabetic tries to eat like a normal person, they'll end up with hyperglycemia again. At best, dietary interventions can help to prevent prediabetes from progressing to Type 2 in some people.

prioris

There's no indication that diabetes mellitus is reversible. Diet can control blood sugar levels, but if a diabetic tries to eat like a normal person, they'll end up with hyperglycemia again. At best, dietary interventions can help to prevent prediabetes from progressing to Type 2 in some people.

there seems to be mountain of research and anecdotal reports that says otherwise

prioris

I've also been forced to diy my health. It's a pain, but necessary for survival.

pain is on both sides so probability it is not lesion. for you, it would likely be a red flag because of your history.

when it's the unknown and unfamilar, i always think, maybe this will be the thing that takes me out. i've gone thru that so many times. when we battle and survive something then come out the other end ok. it will make us stronger and more resourceful in the future. it's like we are gaining skill sets in healing. until we do come out ok, we just cross our fingers and hope for the best. i never had this before so i am getting an education. hope to graduate.

there seems to be mountain of research and anecdotal reports that says otherwise
On the diabetes forums I was a member of, there were zero anecdotal accounts of diabetes reversal/cure. There was extremely dodgy research where mice were "cured" of what was actually transitory induced hyperglycemia (it wears off on its own), but never had anything resembling actual diabetes.

prioris

On the diabetes forums I was a member of, there were zero anecdotal accounts of diabetes reversal/cure. There was extremely dodgy research where mice were "cured" of what was actually transitory induced hyperglycemia (it wears off on its own), but never had anything resembling actual diabetes.

interesting experience. i'll explore some forums eventually.

Crux

we just cross our fingers and hope for the best. i never had this before so i am getting an education. hope to graduate.

You may only graduate if you take tests. You can order your own.

OK, I'll leave you to it, but I'm watching...

prioris

P.S. I likely developed kidney disease from having the infection so long. I will use bicarbonate of soda and water to hopefully heal the kidney.

pamojja

P.S. I likely developed kidney disease from having the infection so long.

Had something somehow similar. At the beginning of my health journey posted my kidney function markers on-line. A doc replied that according to an on-line calculator would already classify for CKD stage1, without me being aware, or any of my docs pointing that out to me before. Then in 2012 had the whole year a chronic bronchitis, which sucked so much, that I left everything and went to South-India to the beach in an desperate attempt to heal it with Sea-air. The first month got already an annoying inner ear infection, the second month was better again, and at least that whole month was enjoying the beach. But then with the 3rd month, with a strong UTI, I basically had high fevers (guessing typhoid), diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and malaise for a whole month. Almost panicked at the end of that month, because would run out of money and could restock only 1400 miles in the north, but apparently totally unable to travel. Anyway, had no other choice, still feverish, I booked that travel 3 days ahead and hoped for the miracle. Wasn't in vain - after arriving there in the north my 1 month of fevers and malaise simply was gone, as if I had left it behind with that travel. Along with the 1 year long chronic bronchitis, and since that time my kidney marker have slightly improved (still fluctuating).

During all this time I was on my comprehensive supplement regimen (admittedly, a lot wasted by vomiting..). Due to the bronchitis increased for example ascorbic acid from my usual ~20 to 30 grams per day. And had also added heavy duty Ayurvedic herbals since my arrival in India (against all my various failing body system, of which the kidney is only one). Interestingly, at home I haven't had fevers for many decades.

Last edited:

Eastman

More on the use of fiber for improving glucose response:

Soluble fibers from psyllium improve glycemic response and body weight among diabetes type 2 patients (randomized control trial)
Results
After 8 weeks of intervention, soluble fiber supplementation showed significant reduction in the intervention group in BMI (p < 0.001) when compared with the control group. Moreover, water soluble fiber supplementation proven to improve FBS (163 to 119 mg/dl), HbA1c (8.5 to 7.5 %), insulin level (27.9 to 19.7 μIU/mL), C-peptide (5.8 to 3.8 ng/ml), HOMA.IR (11.3 to 5.8) and HOMA-β % (103 to 141 %).

Conclusion
The reduction in glycemic response was enhanced by combining soluble fiber to the normal diet. Consumption of foods containing moderate amounts of these fibers may improve glucose metabolism and lipid profile in type 2 diabetes patients.

And from the discussion section:

Glycemic control indicators changes
The magnitude of glycemic control indicators reduction seen in this study were seen in other clinical trials. Feinglos et al., in his clinical trial noted that 3.4 g dose and 6.8 g dose of psyllium significantly lowered HbA1c and FBS [33]. Another study concluded that, a psyllium dose of 5.1 g/day significantly reduced FBS and HbA1c [34]. Likewise, in the current study all glycemic control indicators were significantly improved when these changes compared FBS, HbA1c, insulin and C-peptide p < 0.001, p < 0.001, p < 0.001, p = 0.001, respectively). Interestingly, these positive results were achieved due to soluble fiber effect in reducing glucose absorption about 12.2 % and as therapeutic agent for other metabolic control [35], while regular intake of soluble fibers, particularly may have a protective role for the presence of metabolic syndrome of patients with type 2 DM [13]. Though, psyllium as an example of viscose functional water soluble fiber which may delay intestinal transit time and leading to feel fullness [36], retarding the entry of glucose into the bloodstream and lessening the postprandial rise in blood sugar [37]. It may lessen insulin requirements [38]. Soluble fiber may produce a slower and longer-lasting release and absorption of macronutrients due to increased intraluminal viscosity [26, 39]. In the intestine, the gel-like material that formed by soluble fiber traps nutrients inside its gel and slows down considerably while passing through the digestive tract. Inside the gel, nutrients are protected from the action of digestive enzymes and less likely to reach the wall of the intestines for absorption [40]. This lowers the sharp rise of blood sugar after meal, and improves the sensitivity of the cells to the action of insulin [40]. In addition, Water soluble fiber thickens the unstirred water layer covering the surface of the intestines, which make the nutrients more resistant to cross this layer and to diffuse into the body [41]. Also, it has been reported that, soluble fiber decreased postprandial glucose and insulin responses and influenced concomitant gastrointestinal (GI) peptide responses, especially ghrelin and Peptide YY release [39]. Another clinical trial showed that psyllium improve FBS, insulin, HOMA Index, HbA1c significantly [42]. Another randomized crossover study, demonstrated that high intake of dietary fiber, particularly of the soluble type, improves glycemic control, decreases hyperinsulinemia and lowers plasma lipid concentrations in patients with type 2 diabetes [43]. In addition, the use of HOMA for assessment of β-cell function and insulin sensitivity which can detect the pathophysiology in those with abnormal glucose tolerance, thus HOMA is useful analysis tool of the treatment [44]. Consequently, recent studies among hyperglycemic individuals with no prior diagnosis of diabetes mellitus found to improve insulin sensitivity and other important metabolic controls [45, 46, 47, 48, 49]. This is most likely due to the viscosity of soluble fibers inside the gastrointestinal tract [29].

I think fiber's effect on the gut microbiome probably also plays an important part.

pamojja

Moreover, low T₃ may possibly even be an indicator of a life extending effect, ..

Again, if your mortality is already greatly increased within the next decade due to acceleration of arteriosclerosis (measured via yearly CAC score) with the other downstream effects of low T3, the thesis of low T3 being possibly an indicator for life-extension seems a bid ..frivolous. Unless you don't have a CAC score to worry about.

Mild hypothyroidism and the Track Your Plaque program:
practical tips All levels of hypothyroidism, regardless of how mild, appear to
increase heart disease risk. Risk for cardiovascular events may
extend to TSH levels as low as 1.4 mIU/L. Synthetic T4
(i.e., levothyroxine, Synthroid®) only to treat
hypothyroidism may not represent optimal treatment in everyone.
Natural hormone therapy (e.g., Armour® Thyroid) that provides T3
replacement may be more efficacious for many, perhaps most,
people with hypothyroidism. Lower levels of T3 and/or less than
optimal symptom relief on T4 alone may suggest potential for
benefit by adding T3 (liiothyronine) or converting to a preparation
like Armour® Thyroid. Correction of mild hypothyroidism can reduce LDL,
triglycerides, Lp(a), and homocysteine, and may help normalize
endothelial function. Our experience suggests that it also
facilitates atherosclerotic plaque regression.

Gondwanaland

For those taking methylated supplements, don't forget the importance of niacin:
Niacin
Research
In animal models and in vitro, niacin produces marked anti-inflammatory effects in a variety of tissues – including the brain, gastrointestinal tract, skin, and vascular tissue – through the activation of NIACR1.[82][83][84][85] Niacin has been shown to attenuate neuroinflammation and may have efficacy in treating neuroimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease.[82][85]Unlike niacin, nicotinamide does not activate NIACR1, however both niacin and nicotinamide activate the G protein-coupled estrogen receptor (GPER) in vitro.[86]
GPER
Cardiovascular effects
GPER is expressed in the blood vessel endothelium and is responsible for vasodilation and as a result, blood pressure lowering effects of estrogen.[23] GPER also regulates components of the renin–angiotensin system, which also controls blood pressure,[24][25] and is required for superoxide-mediated cardiovascular function and aging.[26]
Unfortunately I am intolerant to niacin supplementation, and am trying to optimize my Tryptophan breakdown to endogenous niacin production with B2, B6 and Biotin.

Gondwanaland

http://www.lipidjournal.com/article/S1933-2874(17)30339-2/fulltext
J Clin Lipidol. 2017 Jun 6. pii: S1933-2874(17)30339-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jacl.2017.05.013. [Epub ahead of print]
Relationship between simple markers of insulin resistance and coronary artery calcification.

Highlights
  • •Insulin resistance is a risk factor for coronary artery disease.
  • •Both prediabetes (PreDM) and hypertriglyceridemia (↑TG) are associated with insulin resistance.
  • •Combination of PreDM + ↑TG is associated with increased coronary artery disease risk.
  • •Coronary artery calcium (CAC) is detectable in apparently healthy individuals.
  • •Detectable coronary artery calcium is increased in those with combined PreDM + ↑TG.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Insulin resistance in apparently healthy persons is associated with a cluster of metabolic abnormalities that promote coronary atherosclerosis. Identifying these individuals before manifest disease would provide useful clinical information.

OBJECTIVE:
We hypothesized that combining 2 simple markers of insulin resistance, prediabetes (PreDM) and triglyceride (TG) concentration ≥150 mg/dL, would identify apparently healthy persons with adverse cardiometabolic risk profiles and increased coronary artery calcium (CAC) compared with those with neither or only 1 abnormality.

METHODS:
A cross-sectional analysis was performed using data from 25,886 apparently healthy individuals (18,453 men and 7433 women) evaluated at the Cooper Clinic from 1998 to 2015. Participants were divided into those with a normal fasting glucose concentrations (<100 mg/dL = normal fasting glucose) or PreDM (fasting plasma glucose ≥100 and <126 mg/dL) and further subdivided into those with a plasma TG concentration <150 or ≥150 mg/dL. These 4 groups were compared on the basis of multiple coronary artery disease risk factors and the presence of CAC determined during their evaluation.

RESULTS:
Participants with PreDM and a TG concentration ≥150 mg/dL had a significantly more adverse coronary artery disease risk profile than individuals with either abnormality or only 1 abnormality (PreDM or TG concentration ≥150 mg/dL). Furthermore, the odds of detectable CAC were higher in participants with PreDM and a TG ≥ 150 mg/dL than in participants with neither or only 1 abnormality.

CONCLUSION:
The presence of 2 markers of insulin resistance, PreDM and TG concentration ≥150 mg/dL, is associated with increased cardiometabolic risk and detectable CAC within a population of apparently healthy individuals.

Copyright © 2017 National Lipid Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:
Cardiometabolic risk; Coronary artery calcium; Hypertriglyceridemia; Insulin resistance; Prediabetes
I need to get an insulin assay... My TG is 74.

pamojja

It's rather an opinion piece, isn't it? Without giving the actual ranges.

I contrarily got prediabetic with low freeT3s. Which, beside many other things is also is a marker for inflammation.

A low T3/T4 ratio was found in pre-diabetics who had both high insulin levels and insulin resistance. These subjects had lower T3 levels and higher T4 levels than normal, glucose-tolerant subjects. This study confirms that a certain level of T3 is essential for normal glucose metabolism.[3]

..Apparently thyroid reference ranges are too broad, because symptoms of both too much and too little are appearing in subjects whose Free T3 and Free T4 values are within the normal reference ranges.

Take a couple of completely discreet studies, some supplemented some not, some with synthetic T4, some not, and make a generalized thesis appear like a fact.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

It's rather an opinion piece, isn't it? Without giving the actual ranges.
I posted it because I experienced it myself. When I tried to up my hormone replacement I got a gout crisis. Gout has been linked with both hyper and hypothyroid, and oviously is a marker for excess circulating glucose since the body seems to prefer to excrete glucose before uric acid.

Now I have learned to recognize the symptoms of insulin/glycemia troubles my body gives me - I get a congested feeling and everything feels inflamed - but I think especially endothelium. A bit like taking coumadin, but without the relief of thinner blood :depressed: