• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cortisol and NSAIDs

Aerowallah

Anyone know whether Motrin, Aleve, aspirin, and Tylenol lower cortisol significantly enough that ME'ers need to be conscious of this when taking NSAIDs?

I'm having amalgams removed, and with a good protocol the problem was not stirring up mercury but porcelains that harden in minutes and cause bite issues, muscle / tendon pain, and repeat visits. Softer mercury amalgams took 24 hours to harden and the bite adjusted better!

Back to cortisol--literature suggests Omega-3 foods, nuts, kale etc lower cortisol by reducing inflammation and the stress response, and thus the need for cortisol secretion. So would NSAIDs, too, I suppose. But would an an "exogenous replacement" for natural hormone flatten the cortisol curve over time the way steroids, do?

I've been on 4,000 mg of Motrin daily for several weeks as this sorts out and it's getting harder and harder to get out of bed--like my first year of ME. And like my onset of ME, the weakness resolves early evening. No difficult sleeping again, yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:

Aerowallah

800 mg every 6 hours is max dose--3200 / day--at which side effects are "unlikely". I go one red pill more or else there is no effect for me against tooth pain. I have skipped days in those weeks when not needed. It's in those days when I couldn't see the dentist and I started dosing round the clock that the weakness / achiness came on. No GI issues--cup of kefir with meds does wonders.

Anyway, trading my ibuprofen for clove oil and hot packs until next appt Monday. Cloves can burn gums after three days (and drop blood sugar), but I'll monitor the fatigue.

Last edited:

Aerowallah

Thanks, and your sensitivity to pain is worse when you're B-12 deficient. This might have been more miserable without a couple months of methylation under my belt...

*GG*

I recently had my Cortisol tested via a blood draw (before 10am), was high normal. I take NSAIDs all the time, I am still rather active, which increases my pain, so I take them quite frequently.

Done the saliva cortisol testing done a few times in the years past, my results were not normal. Forget what a typical result should look like, but think mine was opposite.

GG