• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Poop Doping the Next Big Thing?

adreno

PR activist
Lauren Peterson, a scientist at The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Connecticut, is one of an elite group of scientists looking at the gut microbiology of athletes. Petersen, who founded the Athlete Microbiome Project, is specifically researching cyclists.

Her connection to the topic is intimate. Petersen contracted Lyme Disease at 11 years old. She was on and off antibiotics and generally sick for more than a decade. Then, as she was finishing her PhD, she gave herself a fecal transplant from a competitive cyclist.
http://www.bicycling.com/training/is-poop-doping-the-next-big-thing

ljimbo423

“What we’re learning is going to change a lot for cyclists as well as the rest of the population,” says Petersen. “If you get tested and you’re missing something, maybe in three years you’ll be able to get it through a pill instead of a fecal transplant.

We’ve got data that no one has ever seen before, and we’re learning a lot. And I think I can say with confidence that bacterial doping—call it poop doping if you must—is coming soon.”
link

I'd much rather take a pill!;)

gabriella17

I can just imagine going up to athletes and asking for a donation. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8d0ff5fe7340d08191a5af449ea6c6c0.jpg

gabriella17

I've read about this before. Here's what I don't understand - why don't they just use some super strains of pro-biotics? I've heard also that a lot of pro-biotics don't survive the stomach before they get to the small intestine, but if that's the case, couldn't they administer a pro-biotic cocktail uh, anally? Like via suppository or enema?

Either way, I'd certainly do it! I'm willing to try just about anything to improve ME. Except anything to do with cockroaches. Gotta draw the line somewhere, lol.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
There is a great deal to learn about fecal bacteria, but its better to research and learn how things work before tinkering with it, the last thing we need is to make things worse.

veganmua

I've read about this before. Here's what I don't understand - why don't they just use some super strains of pro-biotics? I've heard also that a lot of pro-biotics don't survive the stomach before they get to the small intestine, but if that's the case, couldn't they administer a pro-biotic cocktail uh, anally? Like via suppository or enema?

Either way, I'd certainly do it! I'm willing to try just about anything to improve ME. Except anything to do with cockroaches. Gotta draw the line somewhere, lol.

A lot of human gut bacteria haven't even been discovered, and most of the good bacteria isn't available to take as a probiotic. We may know it's there, but unless someone is culturing it and putting it into pills, a poop transplant is your best bet!

gabriella17

A lot of human gut bacteria haven't even been discovered, and most of the good bacteria isn't available to take as a probiotic. We may know it's there, but unless someone is culturing it and putting it into pills, a poop transplant is your best bet!

Hmmm. If this becomes more widely known about, I wonder if people (omg, I just spelled out "poople" by accident, lol) will start asking each other for poop!

adreno

PR activist
I've read about this before. Here's what I don't understand - why don't they just use some super strains of pro-biotics?
Bacteria that have been filtered and cleaned – and put into a pill – have been trialled in research but do not have the same effects as fecal transplants. There might be other organisms in fecal matter that are important, too.

mirshine

How does it work?! Like artificial insemination except the other um entrance?

And do they have to remove your own poop first?

Very interesting.

I'd say they're onto something