• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inositol Headaches

Peyt

Hi all,
I have been trying Inositol and at first it makes me feel great. My mood lifts and I want to literary go to the gym or become more active. But after a day or so I notice I forget things and then I start getting headaches.
Does anyone know if Inositol causes headaches? Especially for Over-methylators? The reason I ask is that I had my histamine tested a while back and I was low, which means I am an over-methylator and so I wonder if Inositol is increasing the methylation even more ? Or perhaps another reason?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Peyt

Here we go, I did some search and as it turns out Inositol increases dopamine and Serotonin:
https://nootriment.com/inositol-dopamine-serotonin/

Being an over-methylator, I have a tough time breaking down Serotonin... (Dopamine I already figured out I can use magnesium to break down, but I still don't know what to use for breaking down Serotonin to it's next Methylation cycle),
anybody knows??
Thanks so much,

Peyt

It is a monoamine. MAO-A co-factors are B2 + Mg

Serotonin Synthesis and Metabolism

Thanks for this post. I see on my livewello test shows that my MAO-A is bad but MAO-B is good.... I remember taking B2 a few years ago for a few weeks but it did nothing for me. As far as Mg, I take that regularly and it helps with breaking down excess norepinephrine for me but obviously it's not doing anything for serotonin otherwise I would not have gotten such a bad headache with only 2 days of Inositol.
I still have the B2 bottle, I can try again..
Meanwhile, I just tried some niacinamide to see if that can help get rid of the headache. niacinamide is suppose to be a methyl trapper which is what I need.

Gondwanaland

Dietary Tryptophan is broken down to both serotonin and niacin (and some other stuff). To get it to the niacin pathway (which is what I am trying to hack lately) I found B6, B2, Biotin and Magnesium are needed. I also take a little B5 to get some melatonin made from Trp. All at bed time, although perhaps it would be better to take Biotin apart from B5 since they compete for the same transporters.

BTW B2 used to make me worse, but I find it works well with biotin.

Peyt

Dietary Tryptophan is broken down to both serotonin and niacin (and some other stuff). To get it to the niacin pathway (which is what I am trying to hack lately) I found B6, B2, Biotin and Magnesium are needed. I also take a little B5 to get some melatonin made from Trp. All at bed time, although perhaps it would be better to take Biotin apart from B5 since they compete for the same transporters.

BTW B2 used to make me worse, but I find it works well with biotin.
Biotin gives me a headache as well.

I wonder if Inositol does something else besides increasing serotonin. I just checked my Promethease Genetic report and it looks like I have the following gene related to Inositol: rs956572 (A,G)
It says:
The Bcl-2 gene polymorphism rs956572AA increases inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor-mediated endoplasmic reticulum calcium release in subjects with bipolar disorder

I felt kinda manic after taking the inositol and then headache came so I can see how it could cause bipolar.
Anyone care to comment ?

Biotin slows insulin release and can lead to hyperglycemia, which causes headache.
CAUTION: The opposite is what biotin is noted for in many actual studies!
@Gondwanaland can you lead us to a source for that opposing view?

For example, here is one of many studies on Biotin raising, not lowering, insulin: "Our results show that biotin INCREASES insulin secretion at normoglycemic and hyperglycemic conditions"
https://academic.oup.com/endo/article/140/10/4595/2990640

Gondwanaland

CAUTION: The opposite is what biotin is noted for in many actual studies!
@Gondwanaland can you lead us to a source for that opposing view?

For example, here is one of many studies on Biotin raising, not lowering, insulin: "Our results show that biotin INCREASES insulin secretion at normoglycemic and hyperglycemic conditions"
https://academic.oup.com/endo/article/140/10/4595/2990640
It probably was a blank moment, thanks for the correction :bang-head:

I used to have reactive hypoglycemia from Biotin :pem: