• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Calcifications in right adrenal (suprarenal) gland and kidneys

Paralee

@lauluce , your problems you posted can be a result from too much calcium in the blood that gets deposited other places. It's called hypercalcemia, although it can happen with normal calcium (normalcalcemic). Hypercalcemia is mostly due to hyperparathyroidism, which is rough on the body and doctors don't seem to know how to diagnose it.

Edit: I have read on the forum that other things can cause it, also. I only knew of about three, but evidently there's more. If you want to research it, you can go to parathyroid dot com.

I hope it's ok for me to mention that website. It's written by Dr. Norman, one of the best parathyroid dr. and surgeon in the world.

Last edited:

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
@lauluce , your problems you posted can be a result from too much calcium in the blood that gets deposited other places. It's called hypercalcemia, although it can happen with normal calcium (normalcalcemic). Hypercalcemia is mostly due to hyperparathyroidism, which is rough on the body and doctors don't seem to know how to diagnose it.

Edit: I have read on the forum that other things can cause it, also. I only knew of about three, but evidently there's more. If you want to research it, you can go to parathyroid dot com.

I hope it's ok for me to mention that website. It's written by Dr. Norman, one of the best parathyroid dr. and surgeon in the world.
thanks for the information! I'll look it up!
edit: I'm not 100% sure, but once I had my calcium level measured and it was "normal". I'll search for that test result but I'll surelly ask for it to be took again along with the PTH. It can't do no harm to take the tests, right? Thank you for being so helpful, this might prove very usefull

Last edited:

kangaSue

@lauluce what was your pain like? I'm experiencing very dull pain on my left side. It is constant but not sharp. Slightly nauseous and very spasmodic. Not sure if it's the IBD it feels a bit different this time. My dr said I should get a scan. But I hate mri's I'm clostrophobic.
Left renal vein compression can mimic any sort of abdominal pain and symptoms have a wide variance among patients. A Doppler Ultrasound can screen for this.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I could be remembering this wrong but i seem to recall reading reduced kidney function can lead to calcium problems. Whether this could have anything to do with your situation i don't know
The treatment would come down to whats causing the problem, and i agree with getting more opinions, and Vitamin K2 may reverse calcification problems but until you know more i would not put my hopes on it (though its good for many other things in our bodies).

Leopardtail

uhm... my pain is perhaps similar to muscle pain due to a lesion, only that it is internal and it worsens when my intestines or bladder are full. The pain is actually on the same side as the adrenal calcification. I read somewhere that adrenal tumours can bleed an cause abdominal pain
I am not aware of having 'calcification' but definately have a pain that feels like a lesion to the muscle. In my case is severe on my right right thigh, and less so on my rear left, its caused the muscles to shorten and put me in a wheelchair (can't straighten the legs properly to walk).

I also have pain in my kidneys and possibly disturbed ammonia metabolism (a very high Glutamine:Glutmate Ratio).

While my thighs are the primary source of pain, my bowels and ballder are both itching/burning and when my bowels are full the legs are much worse. I would be inclined to wonder if we have variants of something similar. Do you know what your Vitamin D is like?

My Cortisol is also high 718 (171-536).

Last edited:

Paralee

@Leopardtail , have you had cortisol checked 4 times in a 24 hr. period? The midnight one is very important.

I suppose your dr. knows how high it is so I think I would remind him. Possibly Cushing's but maybe something else. I would really get it checked out more. Cortisol can go really high sometimes and then go back to normal. Your symptoms are interesting. Some are like what I'm having.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help out here.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
@Leopardtail , have you had cortisol checked 4 times in a 24 hr. period? The midnight one is very important.

I suppose your dr. knows how high it is so I think I would remind him. Possibly Cushing's but maybe something else. I would really get it checked out more. Cortisol can go really high sometimes and then go back to normal. Your symptoms are interesting. Some are like what I'm having.

well... clearly something happens while I sleep, as I wake up with nausea, weakness and lighheadness, even BEFORE STANDING UP (despite of this, I have confirmed POTS, but this issue after waking up seems to be something related, but different). Your advice is really usefull, specially the part of measuring cortisol at midnight... why do you think ut's mportant? what could happen at midnight? thanks!

Paralee

@lauluce . a midnight high cortisol reading is usually indicative of Cushing's, where your adrenals or pituitary are putting too much cortisol in your body. The more I read, the more I see nausea and brain fog or dizziness as a sign that there's too much or too little of something in your blood. Hyperparathyroidism can give the same symptoms, plus more, even with a normal calcium reading.

Maybe cortisol or calcium or something else? I don't know anything about tuberculosis, though.

If cortisol is high enough to be Cushing's you'll usually have an extended abdomen and sometimes stretch marks. There's also such a thing as Cyclic Cushing's, and much harder to diagnose. And of course I'm not even a dr. so my remarks are just "maybies".:cautious:

I don't know a lot more than I've said about calcium deposits, though......what has your doctor decided, if anything?

Edit: I just did some searching and realized there is a renal tuberculosis. Is this what you were referring to?

Last edited:

Dufresne

almost there...
They found a calcium deposit in one of my kidneys eight years ago. I was told not to worry about it, and I haven't. It hasn't seemed to have caused any problems. Perhaps it is interesting they sometimes see this in a persister infection like tuberculosis; I have Lyme.

Leopardtail

Yes, I have. They were high all day long, very high in the morning. An adrenal tumour (cushinigs disease) seems unlikley, more an issue of Cushings Syndrome. The levels also did used to vary more seasonly. I suspect the Cushings Syndrome is secondary to some triggering factor - I am almost certain it is what is affecting both my legs and causing my hypothyroidism (I have poor conversion to T3). I also have a distened abdomen (early stages) and thin mucous membranes, poor uptake of Vitamin D and poor iodine uptake.

The doctors are denying there is an issue despite the stupid levels of Cortisol = 718 (171 to 536). Only treatment they offer is whip my adrenals out.

Paralee

@Leopardtail , are you saying that there is a difference between Cushings disease and Cushings Syndrome? If so, could you please tell us the difference? I have not read of this. Thanks.
I think I read poor conversion to T3 is from high cortisol? Not sure now, I've slept since then.
And also other things, maybe.
And what about your pituitary? Is it ok? Or is that the difference in the disease and the syndrome?
Really getting confused, but morning coffee hasn't quite hit yet.

Paralee

I could be remembering this wrong but i seem to recall reading reduced kidney function can lead to calcium problems. Whether this could have anything to do with your situation i don't know
The treatment would come down to whats causing the problem, and i agree with getting more opinions, and Vitamin K2 may reverse calcification problems but until you know more i would not put my hopes on it (though its good for many other things in our bodies).

@Alvin2 , you may be thinking about advanced kidney disease, the parathyroid hormone goes up and so does the calcium, I think, anyway yes, they can be connected.

Leopardtail

@Leopardtail , are you saying that there is a difference between Cushings disease and Cushings Syndrome? If so, could you please tell us the difference? I have not read of this. Thanks.
I think I read poor conversion to T3 is from high cortisol? Not sure now, I've slept since then.
And also other things, maybe.
And what about your pituitary? Is it ok? Or is that the difference in the disease and the syndrome?
Really getting confused, but morning coffee hasn't quite hit yet.
Cushings Disease is caused by the Adrenals themselves over producing Cortisol due to 'growths' on the adrenal glands that produce the hormone continously whether needed or not.

Cushings Syndrome is due to the Pituitary overproducing ACTH, that is again thought to be caused by cysts but other causes are included in the diagnosis.

Paralee

@lauluce , how are you? Have you gotten anywhere with a diagnosis? I have found out after blaming adrenals and thyroid (parathyroid was fixed) that I am pretty sure I'm dealing with high oxalates. All the symptoms, I will see about getting a diagnosis. My doc ran a Celiac test, but what I need is an oxalate test.

It can make you feel like h*ll, thought I'd update while I see if you have one.

Paralee

Cushings Disease is caused by the Adrenals themselves over producing Cortisol due to 'growths' on the adrenal glands that produce the hormone continously whether needed or not.

Cushings Syndrome is due to the Pituitary overproducing ACTH, that is again thought to be caused by cysts but other causes are included in the diagnosis.

Thanks @Leopardtail , one of these days I can keep those straight. Even though reading more, I still get confused.