• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Meirleir - paying for his services, changing into Euros...?

Bansaw

I am seeing Dr Meirleir soon.
I am wondering the best way to pay his bill. I am planning to take British Pounds Sterling and when I am there, change into Euros to the amount of his bill.
Is there a Travel Agent or Burea de Change near his clinic?

(I'd prefer not to pay by credit/debit card since there is a % foreign transaction fee).

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I recommend gold bars :woot:
Seriously though did his office tell you how much the appointment will cost?

ukxmrv

Maybe get a Caxton card or similar? This lets you load it up with foreign currency and use it like a credit card but with no exchange fees.

sarah darwins

I don't think you'll find a Bureau de Change nearby — his clinic is a little outside of town and there's not much around. Best to change at airport/train station or downtown. Or, of course, before you go. Sainsbury's will deliver Euros to your door — nice service (note: you do have to buy them!).

His consultation fee isn't that much — under 100 Euros — but if it's a first appt there may be a modest extra fee for a couple of in-clinic tests. So you don't need to take that much.

Personally, I find the convenience of using a debit card overseas hard to resist, but usually take a couple of hundred in cash as well.

Bansaw

Thanks all,... Himmunitas email says cost could be as high as 3,000 Euros. Thats *if* Meirleir thinks that a full blood panel is in order.
At the moment I got 100 Euros and am taking sterling. When I get the bill I'll probably go to a Bureau De Change and change the exact amount they are asking for. I don't want to be left with a wad of Euros to exchange back into sterling.
The banks/travel agents make money of exchanging back and forth, and you can lose a lot.
I just hope I can get a decent rate in Belgium for sterling.

As for debit cards, Barclays told me that they charge an overseas transaction % of the sum you pay for, so if you're looking at a % of 3,000 Euros, you're looking at a substantial amount.

I don't know what a Caxton card is, but I read this recently:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jun/15/travel-money-prepaid-currency-cards-which-best

Daffodil

@Bansaw there are some credit cards that do not have a fee for foreign currency transactions...perhaps there is one in Britain?

how about travelers cheques?

Dechi

Or you can go to your bank and have them prepare a certified check in any device you want. Problem with that is you need to know the exact amount. I can't believe how expensive KDM is !

JadeD

Bansaw - I have recently been to see KDM. I paid for my first consultation with euros on the first day then the fructose, lactose, urine test and food allergy test (approx 300 euros) via Barclaycard on the second day.

You will then get invoices directly from the labs for your blood after the appointment. I paid each of them directly via bank transfer with a £9 international payment fee via my bank. Redlabs which is the main lab he uses invoices you very quickly via e-mail, as does armin labs (Lyme testing). The lmo lab invoiced me via the post and it took
at least 6 weeks to come through. Hope that helps.

Bansaw

Bansaw - I have recently been to see KDM. I paid for my first consultation with euros on the first day then the fructose, lactose, urine test and food allergy test (approx 300 euros) via Barclaycard on the second day.

You will then get invoices directly from the labs for your blood after the appointment. I paid each of them directly via bank transfer with a £9 international payment fee via my bank. Redlabs which is the main lab he uses invoices you very quickly via e-mail, as does armin labs (Lyme testing). The lmo lab invoiced me via the post and it took
at least 6 weeks to come through. Hope that helps.

Thats very helpful thanks. Himmunitas just emailed me saying they accept Mastercard, so I'll use my Citibank card.
I didn't know the labs invoiced separately. Thats news to me so I'll be prepared for that.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Himmunitas email says cost could be as high as 3,000 Euros. Thats *if* Meirleir thinks that a full blood panel is in order.
You will have the opportunity to approve each lab test according to what you can afford.
I can't believe how expensive KDM is !
His fee is about 100 euros--it is the lab fees that add up.
You can also ask (at the appointment) for authorizations forms from any lab they use, that will allow you to pay them by credit card.

Also, Himmunitas themselves, take Paypal payments.

Silence

I recommend you go over what tests he orders for you very carefully. And even to go as far as to calculate each test he orders and make sure no tests that you've had done recently get checked. I Had to pay close to 8,000 dollars for my blood test and boy was that a surprise!

Bansaw

I recommend you go over what tests he orders for you very carefully. And even to go as far as to calculate each test he orders and make sure no tests that you've had done recently get checked. I Had to pay close to 8,000 dollars for my blood test and boy was that a surprise!
Wow $8,000. I never heard that before. The highest I was quoted was 2,500 Euros by Himmunitas. I will check the lab order thoroughly and make sure I'm not paying more than the maximum I want to pay. Thanks for the heads-up.

Valentijn

You will have the opportunity to approve each lab test according to what you can afford.
@Bansaw - You can discuss this with KDM somewhat, but it'll be a nurse (usually Jan The Man I think) who goes over the lab order forms in detail with you. That happens after the KDM appointment, when you get called in to the nurses' station to have blood drawn. Then you sign when you're happy with the tests being ordered.