• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

no tryptophan diet

Fred Smith

Hey I wanna get rid of all my serotonin in my body and I don´t want any ever again. So Im gonna go on a diet , not eat food that contain tryptophan ,it converts to serotonin when in the body. So would this be easy or hard to follow this diet? Also I got a few questions:
  1. Is all serotonin you have come from food? what about drinks or candy? nstuff
  2. If all serotonin comes from food etc, can you go on a No tryptophan (no serotonin) diet and you will never have any serotonin?
  3. If yes to number 2 how long will it take for all the serotonin in your body to dissapear?
  4. if yes to 2 and 3, if you have no serotonin does that mean you will have a lot more dopamine and norepinephrine in your brain?
  5. What will happen to me if I have no serotonin?
  6. If I go on a no serotonin diet, Will I be losing anything else or just serotonin?
  7. What will happen to my serotonin receptors if they are no longer being used since im on a no serotonin diet?.
I wanna go on a no tryptophan diet is this site legit can I follow it?https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/bro...ent=tryptophan

also how many types of serotonin are there? Will just having a no tryptophan diet remove all my serotonin in the body or do I need a like no 5-htp diet too or is it the same? https://liftmode.com/blog/l-tryptophan-vs-5-htp/

Is a no tryptophan diet easy or hard? tryptophan is found in some food which when in the body converts to serotonin .. So I need a diet that contains NONE tryptophan because I don't want any serotonin , Dont ask me why its just a personal preference. So how would I go on doing this?

Skippa

Anti-BS
You will become a miserable, lifeless, apathetic zombie, suffer unusual pains and quite possibly die as the rest of your neurotransmitters readjust themselves to compensate. Your entire metabolism will go "out of whack".

Probably. I'm making an educated guess here.

I'm not even sure if what you are trying to achieve is possible.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Fred Smith

You will become a miserable, lifeless, apathetic zombie, suffer unusual pains and quite possibly die as the rest of your neurotransmitters readjust themselves to compensate. Your entire metabolism will go "out of whack".

Probably. I'm making an educated guess here.

I'm not even sure if what you are trying to achieve is possible.

Good luck :thumbsup:
you have no idea what you're talking about . Serotonin is practically USELESS like your comment . The only good thing about it is when it converts to melatonin for better sleep other than that its useless.

Reason I wanna do this is because I have high amounts of serotonin, thats what makes you lifeless, zombie etc
You say its not possible, why not?

msf

If you were informed about these issues, you would know it is pointless to try, but since you´re not you´ll probably try anyway.

Fred Smith

Got to ask, why do you want to do that? As Skippa pointed out, it would most likely kill you in a rather horrible way.
How the hell will a no-tryptophan diet kill me? it will just get rid of all my serotonin and increase dopamine & norepinephrine.

High amounts of serotonin lead to lots of things:
-difficulty sleeping
-fatigue
-anxiety/mood problems / depression
-numbness / no feelings / dont care about anything mood

Low amount of serotonin or no serotonin lead to a lot of better things
-Increased testosterone
-Better feeling of well-being
-Reduced anxiety and depression
-better sleep
-better recovery
-less stress

Skippa

Anti-BS
you have no idea what you're talking about . Serotonin is practically USELESS like your comment . The only good thing about it is when it converts to melatonin for better sleep other than that its useless.

Reason I wanna do this is because I have high amounts of serotonin, thats what makes you lifeless, zombie etc
You say its not possible, why not?

Why are you asking me questions? My comment is useless, I'd rather not stand in your way, go forth on your quest to rid yourself of the dreadful scourge that is serotonin.

Ps, I've never heard of serotonin described as useless before.

Fred Smith

Why are you asking me questions? My comment is useless, I'd rather not stand in your way, go forth on your quest to rid yourself of the dreadful scourge that is serotonin.

Ps, I've never heard of serotonin described as useless before.
thats because you're a sheep and don't do your own research and conclusions.

msf

NB I deleted the comment about sex drive as it´s not that simple:

Sexual behavior in humans is influenced by dopamine (DA) and serotonin (5-HT) neurotransmission [2]. In general, DA enhances, whereas 5-HT inhibits, sexual motivation and performance and thus may contribute to initiation and satiety, respectively. Dopamine has enabling effects on sexual motivation, copulatory competence, and genital reflexes. Dopamine in the nigrostriatal pathway influences motor activity and in the mesolimbic pathway it activates various motivational behaviors, including sexual activity. In the medial preoptic area (MPOA) it controls genital reflexes, sexual configurations, and specifically libido.
Serotonin generally inhibits sexual activity. Sexual behavior is impaired by many 5-HT agonists and agents that increase 5-HT [3]. Serotonin (5-HT) is primarily inhibitory, although stimulation of 5- HT2C receptors increases erections and inhibits ejaculation, whereas stimulation of 5-HT1A receptors has the opposite effects like facilitation of ejaculation and, in some circumstances, inhibition of erection. 5-HT is released in the anterior lateral hypothalamus at the time of ejaculation. Microinjections of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors there actually delay the onset of sexual activity and delay ejaculation after sexual activity and begins elevating lateral hypothalamic area (LHA) 5-HT via reverse dialysis decreased extracellular DA during both normal conditions and during sexual activity. Together with these findings [4], suggest that LHA 5-HT exerts inhibitory control over sexual activity, in part, by inhibiting NAcc DA release after an ejaculation. This research has important clinical clinical implications for those taking SSRI antidepressants, major side effects of which are impairment of ejaculatory and orgasmic ability and decreased libido.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...-dysfunction-2161-0479-1000e129.php?aid=52469

Basilico

Florida
you have no idea what you're talking about . Serotonin is practically USELESS like your comment .

thats because you're a sheep and don't do your own research and conclusions.

@farshad , this is not the first thread you've started where you throw out a ton of incorrect information and demand help, then insult and/or ignore people who respond to you.

Here's another thread where you did the same thing: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...reat-overmethylation.51089/page-3#post-856690

Your responses are incredibly rude - I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet, and I hope a moderator weighs in (@Sushi )? You telling someone that their responses are useless or that they are a sheep does not motivate others to respond, in fact, it probably makes most people want to stay away from you.

From reading your previous postings, I'm pretty sure you don't have CFS/ME, right? You have some health issues that you want to make better. This forum is for people with CFS/ME to help and support each other. Not demand answers and throw insults when they don't get what they're looking for. I think you should reconsider your use of this forum.

And I think others should seriously consider whether it is worth responding, knowing what type of reply they will likely get.

Last edited:

Fred Smith

all serotonin receptors will increase cortisol, ACTH etc...and in many cases , this causes adrenaline rush/issues which means serotonin just makes you more irritable, if not irritable then you will be NUMBED OUT, and have almost ZERO emotional capacity....this seems to come from excess HPTA inhibition and / or adrenal burnout from serotonin constantly releasing cortisol and dynorphins...beta-endorphin has positive effects under CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, but having HIGH resting levels of b-endorphin encourages people to be lazy and watch TV all day. (example)

serotonin does have anxiolytic / calming properties via 5-HT1A autoreceptors - the reasons are more complicated than most think. Autoreceptors reduce the activity of a neurotransmitter, therefore serotonin 1A inhibits itself, therefore producing a decrease in serotonergic excitation at other receptors.

So it's actually the DECREASE in serotonin via autoreceptor activation that produces less anxiety....

Also 5-HT1A is negatively coupled to adenylate cyclase and it has diverse effects on neuropeptides, the other anxiolytic effect probably has to do with 5-HT1A being present on oxytocinergic neurons.

Therefore 5-HT1A receptor activation is just about the only serotonin receptor that alleviates anxiety. It does so by.

Reducing serotonin at other receptors.
Increasing oxytocin release.

HOWEVER, these receptors can easily become de-sensitized if you stimulate them too much, leading to nullification of this effect and thus lack of anxiolytic effect from serotonin....this is one of the hypothesis of violent criminals, they no longer respond to the autoreceptors of serotonin thus there are no brakes and serotonin is flooding the brain leading to erratic behavior.

symptoms-signs-of-too-much-serotonin
https://area1255.blogspot.se/2015/05/symptoms-signs-of-too-much-serotonin.html

Carl

Judging by your sig, your issue seems to be an issue with histamine rather than serotonin. Which I do doubt because CFS usually has high histamine levels. My histamine levels rose when my CFS began which caused me to experience hayfever which I had never experienced prior to that time.

Light and exercise stimulates serotonin production so unless you intend to spend your life stuck in a dark room your whole life and never even attempt any light exercise then I don't think you will be successful. You would be better off looking at the cause of your problems with histamine IMO.

Most serotonin is produced in the digestive system and people with IBS often have LOW levels of serotonin. Serotonin controls motility in the gut and mucus production which is essential. Therefore if you want severe constipation as in a blockage of your gut, then go ahead with your ideas.

BTW I am not a fan of serotonin, it has never benefited my mood. No SSRI or natural treatment to raise serotonin has had any benefit to me. I seem to prefer and benefit from noradrenaline. That does not mean that I would try to stop it's production.